Thursday, January 12, 2023
Reuters, Trump-Appointed Judge in Yale Clerk Boycott Condemns 'Cancel Culture' at Harvard Event:
A conservative federal judge who has said she won't hire law clerks from Yale Law School to protest "cancel culture" on its campus on Tuesday told students at its rival Harvard that law schools need to "step up" and do more to encourage free speech on campus.
11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Elizabeth Branch, an appointee of former Republican President Donald Trump, told Harvard Law School's Federalist Society chapter that she remained concerned about protesters who "shut down" conservative speakers they disagree with at law schools across the country.
In Yale's case, she said the "straw that broke the camel's back for me" was an event in March at which students disrupted a campus discussion with a conservative lawyer, Kristen Waggoner of the Alliance Defending Freedom.
TaxProf Blog coverage:
- A Prominent Federal Judge Says He Will No Longer Hire Law Clerks From Yale. Will Other Judges Follow? (Sept. 30, 2022)
- Conservatives Should Oppose Boycott Of Yale Law Students In Judicial Law Clerk Hiring (Oct. 1, 2022)
- More On Judge Ho's Proposed Boycott Of Yale Law School Grads For Judicial Clerkships (Oct. 3, 2022)
- 12 Federal Judges Join Boycott, Refuse To Hire Yale Students As Law Clerks (Oct. 5, 2022)
- 14th Federal Judge Join Boycott, Refuses To Hire Yale Students As Law Clerks (Oct. 8, 2022)
- Professors, Judges Speak Out Against Boycott Of Yale Grads For Judicial Clerkships (Oct. 10, 2022)
- Yale Law Dean Trumpets Free Speech Stance Amid Federal Judges' Clerk Boycott (Oct. 13, 2022)
- More On The Boycott Of Yale Grads For Judicial Clerkships (Oct. 19, 2022)
- Judge Ho: Restoring America by Resisting Cancel Culture (Oct. 22, 2022)
- Is Yale Law School Turning Over A New Leaf? (Oct. 22, 2022)
- Judge Ho's Boycott Of Yale Grads For Clerkships Violates The Code Of Judicial Conduct (Oct. 24, 2022)
- Inside Higher Ed: Free Speech Concerns Prompt Calls To Shun Yale Law Grads (Oct. 25, 2022)
- Justice Alito Takes Direct Aim At Law Schools For ‘Abysmal’ And ‘Dangerous’ Free Speech Climate As Conservative Judges Boycott His Alma Mater (Oct. 27, 2022)
- Yale Hosts Discussion Tonight On 'Is Free Speech Dead On Campus?' With Federal Judges Leading Boycott Of Yale Law School (Nov. 30, 2022)
- Judges Leading Boycott Of Yale Law School Note Positive Free Speech Developments (Dec. 2, 2022)
- 2022 Man Of The Year: Judge James Ho (Jan. 3, 2023)