Wednesday, November 30, 2022
Yale Daily News, Buckley Program to Host Judges Boycotting Yale Law School:
Federal judges leading a boycott against Yale Law School will soon arrive on campus at the invitation of Yale’s primary conservative student organization.
The Nov. 30 discussion, titled “Is Free Speech Dead on Campuses?”, will be hosted by the William F. Buckley Jr. Program in William L. Harkness Hall. The speakers, Judges James C. Ho and Elizabeth Branch, announced their decision to bar future graduates of Law School from their clerkships over concerns about the institution’s culture around free speech in September. The event will be moderated by law professor Akhil Amar ’80 LAW ’84.
The boycott’s ties to free speech debates make the Buckley Program a “natural” fit for such an event, said Buckley Program founder and executive director Lauren Noble ’11. ...
The two judges said in a letter published online earlier this month that they had also been invited to campus by Yale Law School Dean Heather Gerken for a January event. The law school’s press office declined to comment for this story and has not confirmed whether the proposed January event will take place.
TaxProf Blog coverage:
- A Prominent Federal Judge Says He Will No Longer Hire Law Clerks From Yale. Will Other Judges Follow? (Sept. 30, 2022)
- Conservatives Should Oppose Boycott Of Yale Law Students In Judicial Law Clerk Hiring (Oct. 1, 2022)
- More On Judge Ho's Proposed Boycott Of Yale Law School Grads For Judicial Clerkships (Oct. 3, 2022)
- 12 Federal Judges Join Boycott, Refuse To Hire Yale Students As Law Clerks (Oct. 5, 2022)
- 14th Federal Judge Join Boycott, Refuses To Hire Yale Students As Law Clerks (Oct. 8, 2022)
- Professors, Judges Speak Out Against Boycott Of Yale Grads For Judicial Clerkships (Oct. 10, 2022)
- Yale Law Dean Trumpets Free Speech Stance Amid Federal Judges' Clerk Boycott (Oct. 13, 2022)
- More On The Boycott Of Yale Grads For Judicial Clerkships (Oct. 19, 2022)
- Judge Ho: Restoring America by Resisting Cancel Culture (Oct. 22, 2022)
- Is Yale Law School Turning Over A New Leaf? (Oct. 22, 2022)
- Judge Ho's Boycott Of Yale Grads For Clerkships Violates The Code Of Judicial Conduct (Oct. 24, 2022)
- Inside Higher Ed: Free Speech Concerns Prompt Calls To Shun Yale Law Grads (Oct. 25, 2022)
- Justice Alito Takes Direct Aim At Law Schools For ‘Abysmal’ And ‘Dangerous’ Free Speech Climate As Conservative Judges Boycott His Alma Mater (Oct. 27, 2022)
- Yale Hosts Discussion Tonight On 'Is Free Speech Dead On Campus?' With Federal Judges Leading Boycott Of Yale Law School (Nov. 30, 2022)
- Judges Leading Boycott Of Yale Law School Note Positive Free Speech Developments (Dec. 2, 2022)