Wednesday, October 5, 2022
Treasury Department Appoints Inaugural Members Of Advisory Committee On Racial Equity
U.S. Treasury Department, Treasury Department Announces Inaugural Members of Formal Advisory Committee on Racial Equity:
In conjunction with today’s annual Freedman’s Bank Forum, U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen announced the inaugural members of the Treasury Advisory Committee on Racial Equity. The first-of-its-kind committee will provide advice and recommendations to Secretary Yellen and Deputy Secretary Wally Adeyemo on efforts to advance racial equity in the economy and address acute disparities for communities of color.
Toward that end, the Committee will identify, monitor, and review aspects of the domestic economy that have directly and indirectly resulted in unfavorable conditions for communities of color. The Committee plans to address topics including but not limited to: financial inclusion, access to capital, housing stability, federal supplier diversity, and economic development.
“A critical piece of executing on our racial equity goals is bringing a wide set of outside perspectives and lived experiences to the decision-making table,” said Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen. “The Treasury Advisory Committee on Racial Equity, made up of members with wide-ranging backgrounds and expertise, will provide important insight and advice to leadership across the department to bolster and inform our equity efforts.”
The 25 inaugural members of the Committee come from a wide range of backgrounds including academia, advocacy, financial services, and local government. Members share a common experience with and working knowledge of the implications of economic policy decisions on communities of color, as well as a deep commitment to advancing racial equity.
Michael Nutter, the David N. Dinkins Professor of Professional Practice in Urban and Public Affairs at Columbia University and the former Mayor of Philadelphia, will serve as chair of the Committee and Felicia Wong, the President and CEO of the Roosevelt Institute, will serve as vice-chair.
Dorothy Brown (Martin D. Ginsburg Chair in Taxation and Professor of Law, Georgetown University) and Darrick Hamilton (University Professor and Henry Cohen Professor of Economics and Urban Policy, The New School) are members of the committee. The full list of the 25 members is below the fold:
Inaugural Treasury Advisory Committee on Racial Equity Members:
- Michael Nutter, David N. Dinkins Professor of Professional Practice in Urban and Public Affairs, Columbia University and former Mayor of Philadelphia (Chair)
- Felicia Wong, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Roosevelt Institute (Vice-Chair)
- Nicole Anand, Deputy Director, Inclusive Action for the City
- Janie Barrera, President and CEO, LiftFund, Inc.
- Nicole Borromeo, Executive Vice President & General Counsel, Alaska Federation of Natives
- Dorothy Brown, Martin D. Ginsburg Chair in Taxation and Professor of Law, Georgetown University
- William (Bill) Bynum, Chief Executive Officer, Hope Enterprise Corporation, Hope Federal Credit Union, Hope Policy Institute
- David Clunie, Executive Director, Black Economic Alliance
- Gary Cunningham, President & CEO of Prosperity Now
- Nicole Elam, President and Chief Executive Officer, National Bankers Association (NBA)
- John Friedman, PDBF Distinguished Professor of Economics and International and Public Affairs, Brown University
- Gilbert Garcia, Managing Partner, Portfolio Manager, Garcia Hamilton & Associates, L.P.
- Bulbul Gupta, President & CEO, Pacific Community Ventures
- Darrick Hamilton, University Professor and Henry Cohen Professor of Economics and Urban Policy, The New School
- Michael McAfee, President and CEO, PolicyLink
- Michael Miebach, CEO, Mastercard
- Gina Nisbeth, Founder and President, 9th & Clinton Advisory
- Lorella Praeli, Co-President, Community Change & Community Change Action
- José Quiñonez, Founding CEO, Mission Asset Fund
- Carlos Rangel, Chief Investment Officer, W.K. Kellogg Foundation (WKKF)
- Valerie Red-Horse Mohl, Co-Founder, Known Holdings & CFO, East Bay Community Foundation
- Amanda Renteria, Chief Executive Officer, Code for America
- John Rogers, Founder, Chairman & Co-CEO, Ariel Investments
- Chiling Tong, President and Chief Executive Officer, National Asian/Pacific Islander American Chamber of Commerce & Entrepreneurship (National ACE)
- Barika Williams, Executive Director, The Association for Neighborhood Housing & Development (ANHD)
- Law360, Treasury Names 25 To Racial Equity Advisory Panel
- New York Times, Treasury Creates Racial Equity Committee to Narrow Economic Disparities