Tuesday, October 25, 2022
Inside Higher Ed: Free Speech Concerns Prompt Calls To Shun Yale Law Grads
- Justice Alito Takes Direct Aim At Law Schools For ‘Abysmal’ And ‘Dangerous’ Free Speech Climate As Conservative Judges Boycott His Alma Mater (Oct. 27, 2022)
Inside Higher Ed, Free Speech Concerns Prompt Calls to Shun Yale Law Grads:
Recent issues at Yale Law School are back in the spotlight after a conservative judge called on his peers to abstain from hiring Yale Law graduates as clerks because of free speech concerns.
Judge James Ho, a Trump administration appointee to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, urged the boycott last month when addressing a Federalist Society event in Kentucky. He argued that Yale Law students haven’t faced consequences for shutting down a speaker last year, meaning “Yale not only tolerates the cancellation of views—it practices it.”
Now other judges are slowly signing on to Ho’s boycott, an effort that has landed at the same time Yale Law announced new student disciplinary policies and efforts to protect free speech. ...
As Ho’s remarks gained traction online, the legal community responded with both praise and criticism. ...
- Jim Jones (The Hill Op-Ed), Is It Worse for a Judge to Admit or Deny a Political Agenda?
- Scott Greenfeld (Simple Justice), Ho, Ho, Ho, Yale Responds
- Alan Hurst (Deseret News Op-Ed), Does Yale Law School Deserve to be Canceled?
- Ilya Shapiro (Manhattan Institute), Judge Ho’s Yale Boycott is the Best Idea Yet For Pushing Back on Illiberal Law Schools
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- A Prominent Federal Judge Says He Will No Longer Hire Law Clerks From Yale. Will Other Judges Follow? (Sept. 30, 2022)
- Conservatives Should Oppose Boycott Of Yale Law Students In Judicial Law Clerk Hiring (Oct. 1, 2022)
- More On Judge Ho's Proposed Boycott Of Yale Law School Grads For Judicial Clerkships (Oct. 3, 2022)
- 12 Federal Judges Join Boycott, Refuse To Hire Yale Students As Law Clerks (Oct. 5, 2022)
- 14th Federal Judge Join Boycott, Refuses To Hire Yale Students As Law Clerks (Oct. 8, 2022)
- Professors, Judges Speak Out Against Boycott Of Yale Grads For Judicial Clerkships (Oct. 10, 2022)
- Yale Law Dean Trumpets Free Speech Stance Amid Federal Judges' Clerk Boycott (Oct. 13, 2022)
- More On The Boycott Of Yale Grads For Judicial Clerkships (Oct. 19, 2022)
- Judge Ho: Restoring America by Resisting Cancel Culture (Oct. 22, 2022)
- Is Yale Law School Turning Over A New Leaf? (Oct. 22, 2022)
- Judge Ho's Boycott Of Yale Grads For Clerkships Violates The Code Of Judicial Conduct (Oct. 25, 2022)