Sunday, July 17, 2022
Abraham Lincoln’s Use Of The Bible In His Second Inaugural Address
The National Museum of American Religion has released this wonderful 40-minute documentary, Abraham Lincoln’s Use of the Bible in His Second Inaugural Address. It features fascinating commentary on Lincoln's faith from Pepperdine's Pulitizer-Prize winning legal historian Ed Larson (for Summer for the Gods: The Scopes Trial and America's Continuing Debate Over Science and Religion), as well as Derek Hicks (Wake Forest), Condoleezza Rice (Stanford), Rosetta Ross (Spelman), Alexis Wells-Oghoghomeh (Stanford), and Ron White (Trinity Forum; Author, Lincoln's Greatest Speech: The Second Inaugural).
For more on the role of faith in Lincoln’s second inaugural address, see:
- Christianity Today, The Puzzling Faith of Abraham Lincoln
- Compass, Sermon from the Capitol Hill: Abraham Lincoln’s Usage of the Bible in His Second Inaugural
- HistoryNet, Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address Is a Speech for the Ages
- Harold Holzer, The Second Inaugural Address: The Spoken Words, in Lincoln Revisited: New Insights from the Lincoln Forum
- Douglas Lavine, The Spiritual Lessons of Lincoln’s Second Inaugural Address
- Jack Levin, Malice Toward None: Abraham Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address
- Midwest Quarterly, A Providential Theology: Shakespeare's Influence on Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address
- Ron White, Lincoln's Greatest Speech: The Second Inaugural
Editor's Note: If you would like to receive a weekly email each Sunday with links to the faith posts on TaxProf Blog, email me here.