Monday, April 25, 2022
More On The Arrest Of Charlie Adelson In Dan Markel's Murder
Following up on my previous posts:
- Charlie Adelson Is Arrested, Based On Newly Enhanced FBI Recording
- Transcript Of FBI Recording Of Conversation Between Charlie Adelson And Katherine Magbuana That Led To Charlie's Arrest
- Is Wendi Adelson Now A Suspect?
David Lat (Original Jurisdiction), The Dan Markel Case: Charlie Adelson, Arrested:
The arrest of Charlie Adelson came as a surprise to many. Observers of the Markel case have been pushing for one or more of the Adelsons to be arrested for years, but State Attorney Jack Campbell and the lead prosecutor on the case, Georgia Cappleman, have resisted such calls, also for years—until now. What changed to prompt Charlie Adelson’s arrest? Might there be new evidence in the case?
In his statement, Jack Campbell cited “new audio of the restaurant recording,” specifically, surreptitious recording by law enforcement of a conversation between Adelson and Magbanua at a Miami-area restaurant called Dolce. The recording has been in the possession of law enforcement for years, but it is “new” in the sense that it has been enhanced by James Keith McElveen, a former CIA operative with expertise in audio matters.
According to lead prosecutor Georgia Cappleman, the enhanced audio is significant: “A new piece of the puzzle was added, which was the clarified audio of the restaurant recording. This recording includes statements by Charles Adelson which can be heard clearly for the first time.” ...
Let’s take a look at the transcript and listen to the audio. I excerpt and discuss some of the passages that I found most noteworthy below. ... For all transcript passages, I include page references, and for some passages, I include what I think the prosecution might say, based on what the prosecution has alleged. ...
So there you have it: the evidence that appears to have gotten law enforcement to finally move on Charlie Adelson, after all these years. But an indictment, of course, is far from a conviction. And Charlie’s lawyers, David Oscar Markus and Margot Moss, are two of the best defense lawyers not just in Florida, but in the country.
Most defense lawyers consider it a win if they can get a good deal for their client at sentencing. Markus and Moss regularly go to trial—and win. But in light of the evidence, my opinion is that they have their work cut out for them in defending Charlie Adelson.
This July, eight years will have passed since the brutal killing of Dan Markel. Let us hope and pray that the people responsible for his murder—all the people responsible for his murder—will be brought to justice before then.
- ABA Journals, 'Bombshell' Arrest Made in Murder of Slain Law Prof Dan Markel; Enhanced Recording Credited
- Daily Mail, Florida Dentist Is Charged With Hiring Hitmen to Kill His Sister's Ex-Husband as a 'Divorce Present' to Solve Her Custody Dispute: Victim Was Prominent Law Professor Who Was Gunned Down in His Driveway in 2014
- Law & Crime, Former Brother-in-Law of Assassinated Law Professor and Criminal Law Scholar Indicted in Murder-for-Hire Plot over Child Custody Issues
- Miami Herald, Who Was Dan Markel, the FSU Professor Killed in a Murder-For-Hire Plot?
- People, Former Brother-in-Law Charged with Murdering Florida Law Professor Dan Markel Amid Custody Battle
- Tallahassee Democrat, Assistant State Attorney Cappleman Holds Press Conference Regarding Charlie Adelson Arrest
- TMZ, Who Is Charles Adelson? Dan Markel Brother In Law Arrested For His Murder
- Toronto Sun, Toronto Prof's Brother-in-Law Charged as Murder Mastermind
- WCTV, Dan Markel’s Mother Apeaks Out After Charlie Adelson’s Arrest
- WCTV, Charlie Adelson Makes 1st Court Appearance After Murder Arrest
- WFSU, Connecting the Dots: How a 6-year-old FBI Recording Unlocked the Markel Murder Case
- WXTL, Magbanua Files Motion to Block Use of Audio and Transcript of Secret Recording in Murder Trial of Dan Markel