Saturday, January 22, 2022
ABA Journal, Lawyer With Over $543K in Student Debt Gets Reprimand Vacated After Telling Court of Financial Hardship:
A federal appeals court has vacated its reprimand of a lawyer who skipped oral arguments in a late-settled case, citing information provided in her request for reconsideration.
In a Jan. 14 order, the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals at Chicago vacated its Dec. 3 reprimand of Farva Jafri of Armonk, New York. ...
Jafri told the court in a footnote that she currently has federal student loan debt of $543,200. She is a graduate of the University of Illinois College of Law and is licensed to practice in Illinois and New York, according to lawyer information published by those states. ...
“Jafri’s financial status is not something of which she is proud,” Jafri’s motion said. “But her law practice primarily serves the poor. She does not have clients that pay high hourly fees.”
- Law360, 7th Circ. Tosses Reprimand For Attorney Who Missed Hearing (Jan. 18, 2022)
- ABA Journal, 7th Circuit Reprimands Lawyer For Skipping Oral Arguments, Relying on Opposing Counsel (Dec. 8, 2021)
- Bloomberg, Appeals Court Admonishes Attorney in ‘Oasis’ Trademark Dispute (Dec. 7, 2021)
- Law360, NY Atty Who Missed 7th Circ. Hearing Reprimanded (Dec. 7, 2021)
- Law360, Lawyer Who Missed Args Says Opposing Atty Misled 7th Circ. (Oct. 26, 2021)
- Law360, Ex-Litigation Funder CEO's Atty Skips Oral Args At 7th. Circ. (Oct. 25, 2021)
- Connecticut Law Tribune, Civil Rights Lawsuit Filed in New Canaan Over Parking Ticket (July 14, 2021)
- New Canaan Advertiser, Woman Blames Racism for New Canaan Parking Ticket (July 12, 2019)