Friday, December 17, 2021
Following up on my previous posts (links below): David Lat (Original Jurisdiction; J.D. 1999, Yale), A Quick Update On Yale Law School: Will Heather Gerken Be Reappointed as Dean of YLS?:
The last episode of The Dean, a riveting television series based on the abundant drama at Yale Law School, ended with a cliffhanger: would the embattled dean, Heather Gerken, win reappointment? Or would critics of how she handled various scandals at YLS block her renewal? ...
When will we receive official word? With Yale’s winter recess coming up, it’s unlikely to be before the end of the year. Instead, look for an announcement from President Salovey’s office sometime in January.
The announcement of a dean’s reappointment is usually marked by a celebration of a dean’s major accomplishments to date. In Dean Gerken’s case, expect to hear about her shepherding YLS through the pandemic, achieving record-setting diversity in the student body, launching the Tsai Leadership Program, expanding already robust clinical programs, and exceeding fundraising goals. But there have been smaller successes as well, including the launch of a Safety Net Support Fund that helps students deal with unexpected or emergency expenses (of which there have been many during the pandemic).
Regardless of your views on all the recent controversies—and I certainly wasn’t shy about expressing my concerns—barring something unforeseen, Dean Gerken will remain in office as the dean of Yale Law School. So to my fellow YLS alumni, as well as students, faculty, and administrators, I say: let’s support Dean Gerken in making Yale Law School the very best law school it can be.
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- Ruth Marcus (Washington Post), At Yale Law School, a Party Invitation Ignites a Firestorm (Oct. 15, 2021)
- Kathleen Parker (Washington Post), Yale Law School Triggers Me (Oct. 16, 2021)
- David Lat (Original Jurisdiction; J.D. 1999, Yale), Yale Law Student Who Sent 'Trap House' Email Faces Removal As 2L Rep (Oct. 18, 2021)
- Andrew Koppelman (Northwestern), Yale Law School’s Bullying, Coercive Diversity Leaders (Oct. 19, 2021)
- Yale Daily News, Racism, Conservatism And Free Speech At Yale Law School (Oct. 20, 2021)
- Eugene Volokh (UCLA), Lawyers, Law Students, Law School Administrators, And Language (Oct. 22, 2021)
- The Atlantic, A Worrisome Peek Inside Yale Law’s Diversity Bureaucracy (Oct. 23, 2021)
- Washington Free Beacon, Backlash Against Media Coverage Of The Yale Law School 'Trap House' Email (Oct. 25, 2021)
- Trent Colbert (Yale 2L), Why I Didn’t Apologize For That Yale Law School Email: 'We Must End The Culture Of Performative Repentance' (Oct. 26, 2021)
- Peter Berkowitz (J.D. 1990, Yale; Senior Fellow, Hoover Institution), An Open Letter To Yale Law School Dean Heather Gerken (Nov. 1, 2021)
- David Lat (Original Jurisdiction; J.D. 1999, Yale), The Newest Insanity Out Of Yale Law School (Nov. 4, 2021)
- Simon Lazarus (J.D. 1967, Yale), Where Yale Law School Has Gone Off The Rails, And What Is Needed To Get Back On Track (Nov. 13, 2021)
- David Lat, Yale Law School And The Federalist Society: Caught In A Bad Romance? (Nov. 15, 2021)
- Washington Free Beacon, Yale's Akhil Amar Calls Law School Administration's Handling Of 'Trap House' Email Controversy 'Dishonest, Duplicitous, And Downright Deplorable' (Nov. 16, 2021)
- David Lat (Original Jurisdiction; J.D. 1999, Yale) & Eugene Volokh (UCLA), More On The Two Yale Law School Controversies (Nov. 17, 2021)
- Washington Free Beacon, Yale Law School Dean Heather Gerken Admits Error, Stops Short Of Apologizing To Targeted Students; Law Prof Calls For Conservative Yale 1Ls To Transfer (Nov. 18, 2021)
- Andrew Koppelman (Northwestern), More On The Yale And UIC Law School Controversies (Nov. 29, 2021)
- Simon Lazarus (J.D. 1967, Yale), A Second Open Letter: 'A Take On Where Things Stand' (Dec. 2, 2021)
- David Lat (Original Jurisdiction; J.D. 1999, Yale), Yale Law Faculty Meets Amidst Multiple Scandals And Controversies (Dec. 4, 2021)
- David Lat (Original Jurisdiction; J.D. 1999, Yale), Yale Law Faculty Meets Today With Dean Review Advisory Committee To Discuss Reappointment Of Heather Gerken