Saturday, October 16, 2021
Break Into Tax: Talking Tax Careers With The Tax Chick
BiT's first-ever crossover episode: Break Into Tax + Amanda Doucette, host of The Tax Chick Podcast! Like us, Amanda likes to make information and resources more accessible and tackle tax topics with humor. The BiT video contains information and extras not in the 30-minute podcast & vice versa! Find the podcast episode at https://thetaxchickpodcast.transistor... (available on all major podcast streaming sites).
Amanda Doucette is a self-proclaimed foodie, spin class and Pilates enthusiast, and a tax lawyer in Canada. She fell into the practice of tax law despite having a life-long hatred of spreadsheets, math, and numbers in general. She hosts both The Tax Chick Podcast and The Tax Chick Blog.
Contents of this video:
- 00:00 - Introduction
- 00:27 - Tax/Foodie Icebreaker
- 01:22 - Amanda Doucette's Background
- 02:30 - Why Tax?
- 04:37 - Women in Tax
- 12:22 - Why a Podcast or YouTube Channel?
- 12:49 - The BiT Origin Story
- 13:15 - Allison Christians Cameo
- 13:38 - The Tax Chick Origin Story
- 15:42 - 6 Tax Practice Areas
- 16:23 - Wrap-Up
- 16:44 - List of the 6 Tax Practice Areas
RESOURCES DISCUSSED IN THE EPISODE:
- American Bar Association (ABA) Tax Section: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/ta...
- ABA Tax Section "Careers In Tax Law" Book: https://www.americanbar.org/products/...
- ABA Tax Section Law Student Tax Challenge: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/ta...
- Canadian Tax Foundation (Young Practitioners’ Group): https://www.ctf.ca/ctfweb/en/young_pr...
- Video Tax News: https://www.videotax.com/
The Tax Chick Podcast logo is used with the permission of Amanda Doucette. The spaghetti image is from https://www.flickr.com/photos/3047881..., Creative Commons license 2.0, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/.... We removed the other elements in the original photo and progressively cropped the spaghetti image.
None of the Break Into Tax content is legal or tax advice. Our email address for inquiries: [email protected]
TaxProf Blog coverage of Break Into Tax videos:
- Christians And Lederman Start YouTube Series Break Into Tax (BiT) (Feb. 16, 2021)
- Christians & Lederman: Should You Get A Tax LLM? (Feb. 24, 2021)
- Christians & Lederman: An Important Tax Tip & #WhyTakeTax? (April 1, 2021)
- Lederman & Christians: Last-Minute Exam Prep (April 24, 2021)
- Lederman & Christians: Tax Papers Unlocked — The Elevator Pitch (May 19, 2021)
- Lederman & Christians: An Overview Of U.S. Federal Tax Controversies (June 21, 2021)
- Lederman & Christians: Tax Papers Unlocked — Rita de la Feria (July 9, 2021)
- Christians & Lederman: How To Read A Tax Statute (July 24, 2021)
- Lederman & Christians: Tax Papers Unlocked — Dan Shaviro (Aug. 2, 2021)
- Christians & Lederman: Tax Careers — The Office Of Chief Counsel And The IRS (August 14, 2021)
- Lederman & Christians: Tax Papers Unlocked — Jon Choi (Aug. 21, 2021)
- Christians & Lederman Launch Season 2 of Break Into Tax (September 18, 2021)
- Lederman & Bearer-Friend: Break Into Legal Academia (September 25, 2021)
- Break Into Tax: Friday The 15th (October 11, 2021)
- Break Into Tax: Talking Tax Careers With The Tax Chick (October 16, 2021)
- Break Into Tax: Tax Papers Unlocked — Victoria Haneman (October 23, 2021)
- Break Into Tax: Exam Tips (November 6, 2021)
- Break Into Tax: Introduction To Deductions (Nov. 20, 2021)
- Break Into Tax: Capital Gains & Losses — An Introduction (Nov. 27, 2021)
- Break Into Tax: The Limitation On Capital Losses (Dec. 4, 2021)
- Break Into Tax: The Capital Gains Preference (Dec. 11, 2021)
- Break Into Tax: The Federal Income Tax Treatment of Debt (Dec. 18, 2021)
- Videos: How To Do Legal Research And Tax Research (Jan. 22, 2022)