Monday, July 12, 2021
Following up on my previous posts (links below): The Miami Hurricane, UM Law Community Seeks Answers on Fired Dean as Transitional Replacement Takes Over:
Alumni, students and faculty concerned with the lack of explanation behind University of Miami President Julio Frenk’s decision to fire UM School of Law Dean Anthony Varona continue to push the university for answers, despite widespread support for his transitional replacement.
Following the July 1 appointment of acting Dean Stephen J. Schnably, a respected, long-time professor at UM law, faculty members released another letter criticizing Frenk’s firing of Varona and demanding answers. ...
After Frenk announced Varona’s firing, support for the dean was immediate. Over the past month, faculty groups, prominent alumni, national law groups and elected officials have emailed Frenk to demand transparency and criticize the manner in which he fired Varona. On May 27, the faculty senate unanimously passed a resolution denouncing the decision. ...
In the face of public criticism for his handling of the firing and outspoken support for Varona, Frenk has made no public statements, declined to speak with the media and doubled down on his decision to fire Varona.
TaxProf Blog coverage:
- University Of Miami President Fires Tony Varona After Less Than Two Years As Dean; Tenured Faculty Protests Decision; Varona's Lawyer Says He Will Contest The Firing (May 26, 2021)
- Outrage Grows Over Firing Of Tony Verona After Less Than Two Years As Miami Dean. Did Minor Declines In U.S. News Ranking And Bar Passage Rate Play A Role? (May 27, 2021)
- More Fallout Over Miami Dean's Firing: Faculty Senate Unanimously Urges Reinstatement; Vice-Dean Resigns; University Agrees To Meet With Faculty; Dean Claims President Defamed Him (May 28, 2021)
- Miami Law Alumni Slam Firing Of Dean; AALS Section Demands Investigation To Determine Whether Tony Varona Was Targeted Due To His Gay And Hispanic Status (May 29, 2021)
- University Of Miami Faculty Senate Unanimously Condemns Firing Of Dean Tony Varona And Urges His Reinstatement (May 30, 2021)
- SALT Calls For Review Of Dismissal Of University Of Miami Law Dean Tony Varona, 'UM’s First Latinx And Openly Gay Dean' (May 31, 2021)
- Was This Law Dean Fired Because He's Gay? His Supporters Want Answers (June 2, 2021)
- University Of Miami President Doubles Down On Decision To Fire Tony Varona After Less Than Two Years As Dean (June 5, 2021)
- Miami Searches For Interim Dean After Controversial Firing Of Tony Varona, Who Sought To Reduce Overhead Tax Law School Pays To University (June 14, 2021)
- Tony Varona Takes The High Road In His Farewell Message After Being Fired Less Than 2 Years Into His Deanship (June 30, 2021)
- University Of Miami Appoints Acting Law School Dean; Faculty Demands Investigation Into Firing Of Tony Varona (July 1, 2021)
- Sixteen Miami Faculty Demand Answers To Questions Surrounding Firing Of Dean Tony Varona (July 6, 2021)
- Miami Law Community Seeks Answers On Firing Of Tony Varona As Acting Dean Takes Over (July 11, 2021)