Wednesday, September 2, 2020
University Of Florida's Laura Rosenbury Is Fourth Law School Dean ($100,000), Neil Buchanan Is Second Tax Prof ($25,001) To Make Major Gifts To Students During COVID-19
Following up on my previous posts (links below): UF Law Students Receive Nearly $1 Million in Financial Support During Pandemic:
More than 280 University of Florida Levin College of Law students received financial support from the law school this summer, totaling nearly $1 million. ...
UF Law applied for funding from AccessLex, which generously provided a $25,000 grant to the law school for emergency student support. UF Law Dean Laura Rosenbury immediately contributed an additional $25,000 from her personal funds, and UF Law Tax Professor Neil Buchanan followed Dean Rosenbury’s contribution with a gift of $25,001. Several alumni also contributed to the emergency fund to help reach the $100,000 goal.
“The pandemic created additional financial stress for many of our students, as they traveled to care for sick loved ones, lost part-time jobs, or assisted family members who had lost their jobs,” Dean Rosenbury said. “I am glad we were able to provide some relief for students incurring these unexpected expenses.”
Dean Rosenbury has also contributed an additional $75,000 to support student scholarships at UF Law. Her most recent gift of $25,000 supported the HBCU Pathway to Law Endowed Scholarship Fund, which provides full-tuition scholarships to graduates of HBCUs seeking to enroll at UF Law.
The law school recently launched this program with lead gifts totaling more than $1.1 million from Yolanda Cash Jackson (JD 90) and Hugh Culverhouse (JD 74). Learn more here.
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- Penn State Dickinson Law Dean Danielle Conway Makes $125,000 Gift For Student Aid During COVID-19 (Aug. 5, 2020)
- Pepperdine Caruso Dean Follows Lead Of Penn State Dickinson Dean In Giving $125,000 To Help Law Students With Emergency Needs (Aug. 11, 2020)
- Deans Double As Donors (Aug. 18, 2020)
- FIU's Antony Page Is Third Law School Dean To Make Major Gift To Students During COVID-19 (Aug. 21, 2020)
- Inspired By Penn State Dickinson Dean, Faculty And Staff Give $27,000 For Law Students (Aug. 26, 2020)
Let's hope that many others have made donations anonymously.
Posted by: Jack Crittenden | Sep 2, 2020 11:11:27 AM