Monday, August 17, 2020
AfronomicsLaw Webinar IV: Taxation and Social Contract in a Post-pandemic Era today at 10:00 A.M. ET/7:00 A.M. PT (registration):
The responses of countries to the coronavirus pandemic have been limited by the strength of their revenue collection, especially through taxation. On the other hand, the expectations of citizens from their governments have been high, notwithstanding the strength or otherwise of the social contract between the sovereigns and the governed. In many developing countries, it is argued that the social contract has failed or is failing, calling for its review, if citizens will be obliged, whether legally or morally, to keep funding the social contract. As Alexander Ezenagu, the symposium convener argues, this conversation is applicable at the international level, as well as to domestic tax conversations.
This webinar is a follow-up to the recently concluded Taxation and the Social Contract in a Post-Pandemic Era: Domestic and International Dimensions Symposium which had 20 blog submissions.
The Webinar panelists will deliberate on the following questions: has the social contract between the state and the governed in many states been broken? Can the broken social contract be repaired and what role can the law play in repairing the broken social contract? How should countries reform their tax law and policies to be self-sufficient, while ensuring representation and accountability? What is the role of international tax rules in national sufficiency and how should international tax rules be designed in light of fiscal sovereignty and equity?”
- Dr Obiageli Ezekwesili, Economic Policy Expert and Former Vice-President, Africa Region, World Bank (Keynote Reflection)
- Professor Steven Dean, Faculty Director of the Graduate Tax Program at NYU Law and Professor of Law at Brooklyn Law School
- Professor Irma Mosquera, Associate Professor, Leiden University
- Thulani Shongwe, Head, Resource Mobilization, African Tax Administration Forum
- Dr. Fred Mugambi: Commissioner, Kenya Revenue Authority and Head, KESRA