Saturday, July 11, 2020
Karen Sloan (Law.com), Proposed Bill Would Grant Emergency Diploma Privilege in New York:
An in-person bar exam is scheduled for Sept. 9 and 10 in New York, but new legislation would give candidates the option to bypass the test amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Law graduates who have mobilized to push for an emergency diploma privilege in New York got a boost Monday with the introduction of a bill that would allow them to be licensed to practice without taking the bar exam.
State Sen. Brad Hoylman, who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee and represents a large swath of downtown Manhattan, introduced the legislation that would create a temporary diploma privilege.
“During the COVID-19 pandemic, public health always has to come first. Hosting an in-person bar exam, a massive indoor gathering, poses a significant public health risk,” Hoylman said Tuesday. “Administering the bar exam online puts low-income law students at a disadvantage. And further delaying the bar exam will hurt anyone who simply can’t afford another few months of full-time studying.”
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- New York Will Give Priority To Graduates From New York's 15 Law Schools For Limited Spots To Take September Bar Exam (May 1, 2020)
- Deans Ask New York To Not Discriminate Against Graduates Of Out-Of-State Law Schools In Sitting For September Bar Exam (May 3, 2020)
- Dean Amar: New York's Discrimination Against Graduates Of Out-Of-State Law Schools Is Unconstitutional — 'Whether It’s Toilet Paper Or Bar Exam Seats, Hoarding Is Wrong' (May 4, 2020)
- 54 More Deans Ask New York To Not Discriminate Against Graduates Of Out-Of-State Law Schools In Sitting For September Bar Exam (May 7, 2020)
- Claudia Angelos (NYU), Eileen Kaufman (Touro), Deborah Jones Merritt (Ohio State) & Patricia E. Salkin (Touro), New York Should Replace Discriminatory Bar Exam Plan With Emergency Licensure Open To All Law School Graduates (May 7, 2020)
- July Bar Exam Update: Louisiana, New York (June 6, 2020)
- New York Reverses Course, Will Seat Graduates Of Out-Of-State Law Schools For September Bar Exam (June 24, 2020)