Tuesday, June 23, 2020
AALS Faculty Focus:
COVID-19 has affected the normal rhythms of the legal academy in ways that may be particularly disruptive for early-career faculty.
AALS invites tenure-track, clinical, and legal writing faculty to join us on Tuesday afternoons for “Faculty Focus,” a series of weekly webinars organized around issues these individuals may be facing as well as challenges affecting higher education and the profession in general.
Each 60-minute webinar will feature expert advice from law school leaders followed by shared experiences from early career law faculty. The sessions will be structured to encourage conversation and connection, with opportunities for participants to crowdsource solutions and discuss common issues across schools and teaching areas.
Up Next: How to spend your summer
The first series of topics will be organized around how newer faculty members might best allocate their time during the summer of 2020. The moment of pause and recalibration faculty usually experience after grades have been submitted—when the spring semester has been closed but planning for the fall has not yet begun—has become cluttered and confusing due to the exponential increase in demands on time and attention. Join our speakers to explore issues concerning work-life balance and the demands of scholarship, meeting the needs of all students online, and delivering high-quality online instruction using best practices from higher education.
Week 3 (today at 4:00 pm ET/1:00 pm PT): Excellence in Online Instruction (register here):
- Yvonne Dutton (Indiana-McKinney)
- Nina Kohn (Syracuse)
- John Manning (Dean, Harvard)
- Alison Mikkor (UC-Irvine)
- Eloise Pasachoff (Georgetown)
- Michael Pollack (Cardozo)
- Darby Dickerson (AALS President & Dean, UIC John Marshall)
- Vince Rougeau (AALS President-elect & Dean, Boston College)
- Jeff Allum (AALS Director of Research)
Future Faculty Focus Webinars:
- Week 4 (June 30): Racism, Justice, and Your Fall Classes
- Week 5 (July 7): A Perspective from the Dean’s Office
- Week 6 (July 14): Effective Use of Research Assistants
Prior Faculty Focus Webinars