Wednesday, December 18, 2019
Keith Lee, Law Schools ABA 509 Disclosures Reports 2019 (Stats + Graphs):
Another year, another data dump. December 15th is the annual reporting day for ABA 509 Disclosures for all ABA approved law schools. These are required public disclosures that law schools must make as part of their ABA accreditation. As soon as the ABA started releasing the data, I began to compile it and release reports at Associate’s Mind.
2011 To 2019 Changes
Law school enrollment continues to be significantly down since reporting began.
Total matriculant change from 2011 to 2019: -17.9%.
3 4 law schools are now dead: Arizona Summit, Charlotte, Valparaiso, & Whittier. Arizona Summit is the additional dead school.
- 149 law schools decreased in matriculants from 2011 to 2019.
- 9 schools had matriculants decrease by over 50% from 2011 to 2019.
- 106 law schools had a double digit percentage decrease in matriculants since 2011.
- Largest decrease: Western State at -90.3%
- Runner-up decrease: Thomas Jefferson at -88.9%
- 48 schools had no change or increased matriculants from 2011 to 2019.
- 22 schools had a double digit percentage increase in matriculants.
- Largest increase*: Lincoln Memorial at 197.1%
- Runner-up increase: University of Law Verne at 80%
- * Note – Concordia Law School opened in 2012, so naturally their % increase is gigantic, but I don’t include them here as it doesn’t accurate reflect their student body trends.