Tuesday, October 1, 2019
The University of Florida Levin College of Law continues its extraordinary rise in student quality and rankings:
UF Law Celebrates 110th Anniversary With New Culverhouse Challenge:
University of Florida Levin College of Law is pleased to announce its third annual Culverhouse Challenge in honor of the 110th anniversary of UF Law.
Hugh Culverhouse, from the UF Law Class of 1974, has committed to a 10:1 match of 1,000 donations of $110, for a total gift of $1.1 million to fund student scholarships. ...
In addition to his own generous gifts, Culverhouse has spurred several fundraising challenges at UF Law, generating millions of dollars in new student scholarship support.
In 2017, Culverhouse initiated a challenge to the UF Law community to raise $1.5 million to match his $1.5 million commitment. His gift was then matched by the university, resulting in $4.5 million in new scholarship support. In 2018, Culverhouse joined with UF Board of Trustees Chairman Mori Hosseini, who each committed $500,000 to match $1 million in donations from alumni and friends. Once again the university matched their gifts, resulting in $3 million in new scholarship support.
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage of the University of Florida Levin College of Law:
- After Topping Florida State Law School Again With #48 U.S. News Ranking, University Of Florida's New Dean Sets Sights On #35 Ranking Within 3-5 Years (Mar. 21, 2016)
- Harrison: University Of Florida Cancels Sick-Leave Payouts, Sparking Faculty Retirements (July 18, 2016)
- Florida Law Prof Writes 24-Page Critique Of Graduate Tax Program: Go Online Or Shut Down — 'Hiring More Tax Faculty Is Like Hiring More Sailors To Man The Titanic Once It Has Hit The Iceberg' (Sept. 16, 2016)
- Marty McMahon Responds To Critique Of Florida's Graduate Tax Program (Sept. 16, 2016)
- More On The Critique Of Florida's Graduate Tax Program (Sept. 17, 2016)
- Harrison: The Trumpian Discourse About Florida's Graduate Tax Program (Sept. 18, 2016)
- Robert Rhee Defends His Critique Of Florida's Graduate Tax Program (Sept. 18, 2016)
- My Take On The Critique Of Florida's Graduate Tax Program (Sept. 19, 2016)
- 28 Florida Graduate Tax Alumni Academics Respond To Robert Rhee's Critique Of The Program (Sept. 23, 2016)
- Brian Leiter Weighs In On 'The Turmoil At The University Of Florida Over Its Tax Program' (Sept. 23, 2016)
- Omri Marian Responds To Robert Rhee's Critique Of Florida's Graduate Tax Program (Sept. 23, 2016)
- Laura Rosenbury Stakes Her Deanship On Raising Florida's Ranking To #35 (Oct. 12, 2016)
- Florida Law School Rankings War Intensifies: UF Marches Toward Top 35, FSU Says It Is Best Law School In State And Aims For Top 4 National Public Law School (With Michigan, UC-Berkeley & Virginia) (Mar. 15, 2017)
- Alum Donates $1.5m To University Of Florida To Fuel Law School's Rise In U.S. News Rankings From 48 To 35 (May 12, 2017)
- Florida Increases Median LSAT And GPA Of Entering Class, Fueling Rise Toward The Top 35 (Aug. 28, 2017)
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage of Hugh Culverhouse:
- University Of Alabama Law School Receives $26.5 Million Naming Gift; Donor Hopes For Top 10-15 Ranking (Sept. 28, 2018)
- $26.5 Million Donor Completes Naming Gift Ahead Of Schedule Due To Alabama Law School's Rise In The U.S. News Rankings (Mar. 30, 2018)
- Alabama May Return $21.5 Million, Strip Donor's Name From Law School After His Call For Boycott Due To State's New Abortion Law (May 30, 2019)
- Alabama Returns $21.5 Million, Strips Donor's Name From Law School After His Call For Boycott Over State's New Abortion Law (June 8, 2019)
- Alabama Releases Emails Showing Donor Used Abortion Law As Preemptive Attack After Law School Decided To Return $21.5 Million Gift Due To His Meddling In Admissions, Scholarships, Faculty Hiring, Dean's Job Status (June 10, 2019)
- Krotoszynski: Sorry, Hugh Culverhouse. Alabama Law School Class Sizes Aren’t Your Call.(June 12, 2019)
- An Abortion Red Herring In Alabama: The Real Story Behind Hugh Culverhouse’s Rejected Donation To The State Law School (June 13, 2019)
- What The Alabama Returned Gift Episode Can Teach Us About Donor Relations (June 17, 2019)
- University of Alabama, Hugh Culverhouse End Spat After Return Of $21.5 Million Gift And Removal Of Donor's Name From Law School (Sept. 7, 2019)