Wednesday, September 18, 2019
Following up on my previous post, Tenured Emory Law Prof Suspended For Using N-Bomb Faces Firing By University Faculty Committee At Oct. 4 Hearing: Law.com, Emory Investigating Reports That 2 More Law Profs Used Racial Slur in Class:
Emory University is investigating reports of two new incidents in which adjunct law professors reportedly used a racial slur in class, a spokeswoman for the university said Friday.
“During one of the instances, after a student raised concern about the necessity of using the word, the professor apologized, and the class continued,”’ Laura Diamond, assistant vice president of communications and public affairs, said Friday. “The university is looking into both incidents. Emory remains committed to upholding the principles of equity, inclusion, and respect that all members of community embrace and value.”
Diamond said both incidents reportedly occurred Sept. 9. ...
The alleged Sept. 9 incidents follow one that surfaced last year, which resulted in the indefinite suspension of law professor Paul Zwier, who was also barred from campus for twice uttering the epithet. ...
Emory’s Faculty Hearing Committee is scheduled to hold a closed-door hearing on the matter Oct. 4 to consider Zwier’s request for reinstatement and a separate request to revoke his tenure. James Hughes Jr., the former acting law school dean who suspended Zwier before stepping down in July, has asked the committee to strip Zwier of his tenure and fire him.
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- Tenured Emory Law Prof Removed From Teaching Torts After Using N-Word In Class (Aug. 29, 2018)
- After Professor's Alleged 'N-Bomb,' Emory Law Rally Calls For Tolerance, Respect (Sept. 1, 2018)
- Emory Law Prof Who Used 'N-Bomb' In Torts Class Is Barred From Teaching Required Courses For Two Years And Will Undergo Sensitivity And Bias Training (Sept. 19, 2018)
- Emory Alum (Fulton County Commissioner) Calls For Oct. 3 Rally To Demand Firing Of Tenured Law Prof Who Used N-Word In Torts Class, As Well As Dean, President, And Anyone Else Who Opposes His Firing (Sept. 30, 2018)
- Tenured Emory Law Prof Suspended After Allegedly Again Using N-Bomb (Nov. 13, 2018)
- Retired Emory Law Prof Asks ABA To Censure Law School For Suspending Law Prof Over Use Of 'N-Bomb' (Apr. 6, 2019)
- Legal Community Is Split Over Emory Law Prof's Use Of 'N-Bomb' (Apr. 10, 2019)
- Tenured Emory Law Prof Suspended For Using N-Bomb Faces Firing By University Faculty Committee At Oct. 4 Hearing (Aug. 24, 2019)