Saturday, August 24, 2019
National Law Journal, ‘Moral Delinquency and Incompetence:’ Interim Emory Law Dean Wanted Prof Fired Over Racial Slur:
An Emory University law professor suspended last year for twice using a racial slur should be fired, according to a letter citing the law school’s dean.
James Hughes Jr., who stepped down as interim dean of Emory’s School of Law last month, has asked the university Faculty Hearing Committee to strip Paul Zwier of his tenure and terminate him, according to two letters the American Association of University Professors sent to university administrators. Hughes cited “moral delinquency and incompetence” as grounds for dismissing Zwier for using a racial epithet while teaching a first-year torts class last year. ...
Meanwhile, two organizations promoting academic freedom have written letters to the law school demanding that Zwier be reinstated. They warned that any attempt to fire him for using the epithet in a classroom context would violate principles of academic free speech.
Zwier’s suspension is entering a second year, and his courses do not appear on the law school’s Fall 2019 schedule. A closed hearing with the [Faculty Hearing Committee] is set for Oct. 4, said Zwier’s attorney, Lee Parks of Atlanta’s Parks, Chesin & Walbert. The committee holds hearings, issues findings of fact and makes recommendations to the university when a faculty member faces suspension or possible termination.
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- Tenured Emory Law Prof Removed From Teaching Torts After Using N-Word In Class (Aug. 29, 2018)
- After Professor's Alleged 'N-Bomb,' Emory Law Rally Calls For Tolerance, Respect (Sept. 1, 2018)
- Emory Law Prof Who Used 'N-Bomb' In Torts Class Is Barred From Teaching Required Courses For Two Years And Will Undergo Sensitivity And Bias Training (Sept. 19, 2018)
- Emory Alum (Fulton County Commissioner) Calls For Oct. 3 Rally To Demand Firing Of Tenured Law Prof Who Used N-Word In Torts Class, As Well As Dean, President, And Anyone Else Who Opposes His Firing (Sept. 30, 2018)
- Tenured Emory Law Prof Suspended After Allegedly Again Using N-Bomb (Nov. 13, 2018)
- Retired Emory Law Prof Asks ABA To Censure Law School For Suspending Law Prof Over Use Of 'N-Bomb' (Apr. 6, 2019)
- Legal Community Is Split Over Emory Law Prof's Use Of 'N-Bomb' (Apr. 10, 2019)