Monday, October 8, 2018
ABA Journal, Oklahoma University College of Law Associate Dean Resigns Over Sexist, Homophobic Writings:
A law professor and associate dean for academic affairs at the Oklahoma University College of Law voluntarily resigned Tuesday after his discriminatory writings about women and same-sex marriage in a 2014 book came to light.
The controversy stems from Brian McCall’s book titled To Build the City of God: Living as Catholics in a Secular Age.
Message From Dean Harroz:
Dear OU Law Community,
I appreciate hearing from those of you who have reached out to me. I understand your frustration and concern about statements made by Associate Dean Brian McCall. I assure you that I do not agree with those statements.
Due to the concerns about those statements, as well as our desire to uphold our values of inclusivity and respect for all people, an independent review was undertaken by an outside law firm through the university’s Equal Opportunity Office. Because of this review, I was asked to refrain from making any comments. I recognize that this has caused additional concern and frustrations, for which I am truly sorry.
I can now tell you that the independent review has uncovered no evidence of workplace harassment or discrimination. Despite this conclusion, Brian McCall has voluntarily resigned his position as Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, effective immediately, because of the controversy about his personal statements.
- Above the Law, Law School Professor Writes Women Should Not Have Jobs And Other Sexist, Homophobic Nonsense
- Christian Post, Catholic Law School Admin. Resigns Over Controversial Comments on Women, Gay Marriage; McCall Suggests in 2014 Book That Women Wearing Pants Is Sinful
- College Fix, Associate Dean Resigns After Book Surfaces in Which He Wrote Against Women Wearing Pants
- Daily Beast, Law School Dean Resigns After Saying Women Must ‘Veil Their Form’
- Life Site, Legally Blind Catholic Prof Forced to Resign as Dean in Wake of Conservative Witch-hunt
- New York Daily News, Law School Dean Resigns Amid Backlash Over Book in Which He Criticized Women Who Wear Pants
- News OK, University of Oklahoma Law Professor 'Saddened, Regrets Disturbance'
- OU Daily, OU Law Professor, Associate Dean Expresses Homophobic, Sexist Views in 2014 Book
- OU Daily, OU College of Law Associate Dean Resigns Amid Controversy Surrounding Views Published in 2014 Book
- USA Today, 'Women Must Veil Their Form': Law School Dean Resigns After His Writings Spark Backlash