Thursday, June 14, 2018
Following up on my previous posts (links below): ABA, Cooley Law May Be Headed to Settlement in Accreditation Suit:
The American Bar Association and Western Michigan University Cooley Law School are due in federal court next week for a settlement conference, signaling a possible end to a contentious lawsuit brought by the school over the ABA’s accreditation practices.
The parties are headed to U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan on June 19 for a settlement conference before U.S. Magistrate Judge David Grand, and must submit a history of their settlement negotiations to the court by Friday. Cooley sued last November after the school was found to be out of compliance with the ABA’s admissions standard, alleging that rule is unlawfully vague and that the ABA’s accreditation decision-making is cloaked in secrecy.
The school asked the court to enjoin the ABA from enforcing the admissions standard until it could specify what Cooley needed to do to be in compliance, among other relief.
Barry Currier, the ABA’s managing director of accreditation and legal education, said Wednesday that the settlement conference was court ordered and that the litigation is ongoing. Cooley general counsel James Robb declined to comment.
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- Two Very Different Perspectives On Western Michigan-Cooley Law School (Jan. 27, 2016)
- ABA Notices To Law Schools About Potential Non-Compliance With Accreditation Standards (Oct. 31, 2017)
- Western Michigan-Cooley Law School Seeks TRO To Prevent ABA From Releasing A Letter About Its Accreditation Status (Nov. 15, 2017)
- ABA Opposes TRO To Block Release Of Western Michigan-Cooley Law School's Noncompliance With Accreditation Standards: 'Students Deserve To Know The Truth' (Nov. 21, 2017)
- Federal Court Chides Western Michigan-Thomas Cooley Law School For Seeking TRO To Block ABA's Release Of Letter On School's Noncompliance With Accreditation Standards (Dec. 14, 2017)
- ABA Hits Back Against Cooley Law School In Accreditation Lawsuit (Jan. 10, 2018)
- Law Schools Are Under The Microscope (Jan. 17, 2018)
- Western Michigan-Cooley Law School Files Amended Complaint In Lawsuit Against The ABA (Feb. 1, 2018)
- ABA Defends Denial Of Cooley Law School's Request To Open New Location (Mar. 7, 2018)
- ABA: Western Michigan-Cooley Law School Is Now In Compliance With Accreditation Standards (Apr. 26, 2018)
- Did The ABA Find WMU-Cooley In Compliance With Accreditation Standards As Part Of Lawsuit Settlement? (Apr. 30, 2017)
- Suing The ABA Over Law School Accreditation? Get In Line (May 21, 2017)