Wednesday, March 14, 2018
Folowing up on my previous posts (links below): Daily Pennsylvanian, After 'Disparaging' Comments on Black Students, Amy Wax Barred From Teaching First-Year Course:
For the first time since Penn Law professor Amy Wax made headlines last year for controversial comments on race and free speech, the University that employs her has responded with action.
Penn Law Dean Ted Ruger announced on Mar. 13 that Amy Wax would no longer be allowed to teach a mandatory first-year course. This comes days after students and alumni responded with outrage to a video of Wax saying she's never seen a black Penn Law student graduate in the top quarter of their class. Earlier this week, an online petition was launched calling on Ruger to take action against Wax for her comments.
Ruger responded publicly for the first time in an email where he defended Wax's right to free speech but stated that she had violated policy by mentioning students' grades.
"As a scholar she is free to advocate her views, no matter how dramatically those views diverge from our institutional ethos and our considered practices," Ruger wrote. "As a teacher, however, she is not free to transgress the policy that student grades are confidential, or to use her access to those Penn Law students who are required to be in her class to further her scholarly ends without students’ permission."
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- Wax & Alexander: Paying The Price For Breakdown Of The Country's Bourgeois Culture (Aug. 13, 2017)
- Reaction To Law Profs' Op-Ed On The Breakdown Of The 'Bourgeois Culture' (Aug. 25, 2017)
- Penn Law Students Try To Ban Amy Wax From Teaching Civil Procedure Due To Her Breakdown Of The Bourgeois Culture Op-Ed (Sept. 10, 2017)
- Controversy Over Law Profs' Op-Ed On The Breakdown Of The 'Bourgeois Culture' Shifts From Penn To San Diego (Sept. 21, 2017)
- More Law Prof Reactions To The Wax & Alexander Op-Ed On The Breakdown Of The 'Bourgeois Culture' (Sept. 22, 2017)
- Reynolds: It Is Time Academics Preach the Virtues They Practice (Sept. 26, 2017)
- Penn Alumni Speak Out Against Breakdown Of The 'Bourgeois Culture' Op-Ed (Sept. 26, 2017)
- Wax: The Closing Of The Academic Mind (Feb. 19, 2018)
- Penn Dean Denies Amy Wax's Claim That He Asked Her To Take Leave Due To Controversial Op-Ed (Feb. 21, 2018)
- Gelbach: On Amy Wax’s Credibility And Conduct (Feb. 24, 2018)