Sunday, September 10, 2017
Following up on my previous posts:
National Lawyers Guild, Penn Law Chapter, Penn NLG Statement on Professor Amy Wax:
While we do not challenge Professor Wax’s right to express her views, we question whether it is appropriate for her to continue to teach a required first-year course. The Penn Law administration has long been aware that her bigoted views inevitably seep into her words and actions in the classroom and in private conversations with students. We call on the administration to consider more deeply the toll that this takes on students, particularly students of color and members of the LGBTQIA community, and to consider whether it is in the best interests of the school and its students for Professor Wax to continue to teach a required first-year class. Exposure to a diversity of viewpoints is an essential and valuable part of any educational experience, but no student should have to be exposed to bigotry or abuse in the classroom.
Since Professor Wax is, as usual, scheduled to teach Civil Procedure this fall, and we know that is unlikely to change, we offer ourselves as a resource for first-year students in Professor Wax’s class. 1Ls in Professor Wax’s class: whether you need someone just to listen, to help you figure out how to get through the semester, or to advocate on your behalf, Penn NLG has your back.
In 2015, Professor Wax received the University of Pennsylvania's Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching (only three other Penn law professors have received the award in the past twenty years).
- The College Fix, Professor Who Argued ‘All Cultures Are Not Created Equal’ Targeted For Removal From Teaching Law Class
- Daily Pennsylvanian, Penn Law Students: Should Professor Who Praised 'Bourgeois' Culture be Teaching First-year Course
- Daily Pennsylvanian, Response to "Open Letter to the University of Pennsylvania Community"
- Heterodox Academy, I Don’t Care if Amy Wax Is Politically Incorrect; I Do Care that She’s Empirically Incorrect
- Heterodox Academy, In Defense of Amy Wax’s Defense of Bourgeois Values
- Investor's Business Daily (Mona Charen), What's Right About 'Bourgeois Values'
- National Review, Leftists Feed Extremists They Fear with Attacks on Amy Wax
- New York Magazine, Is the U.S. Declining Because Americans Abandoned ‘Bourgeois Values’?
- Reason, Penn Law Prof. Amy Wax on Her Controversial 'Return to Cultural Norms' Editorial
- Eugene Volokh (UCLA), The ‘Bourgeois Culture’ Controversy
- Washington Examiner, University of Pennsylvania Law Students and Faculty Want to Purge an Oldspeak Professor
Update: Above the Law, Law Students Seek To Ban Professor From Teaching 1Ls