Tuesday, August 15, 2017
WSOCTV, Charlotte School of Law Closing Immediately, Alumni Association Says:
The Charlotte School of Law is closing effective immediately, according to an email the alumni association sent out to former students.
An email obtained by Channel 9 from Lee Robertson, the president of the Charlotte School of Law Alumni Association, said he received a call Monday from Interim Dean Meggett about the school’s future.
During the call, Meggett said that the American Bar Association denied the law school’s Teach-Out Plan and that the North Carolina Board of Governors declined to grant an extension of the law school’s license to operate, according to Robertson.
Robertson said the students would be informed Tuesday of the development.
- ABA Journal, Charlotte School of Law Must Close, North Carolina AG's Office Says
- Above the Law, Charlotte School Of Law Is Closing ‘Effective Immediately’
- Bloomberg, An Embattled For-Profit Law School Is Reportedly Shutting Down
- Charlotte Business Journal, ‘No Path Forward’ For Charlotte Law?
- Charlotte Observer, No License, No Student Loans, No Website: Has Charlotte School of Law Closed For Good?
- Inside Higher Ed, The Slow Death of a For-Profit Law School
- National Law Journal, Charlotte Law School Closes with a Whimper
- New York Times, For-Profit Charlotte School of Law Closes
- Washington Post, N.C. Attorney General Delivers Death Blow to Embattled For-profit Law School
- WBTV, Accrediting Body Denies Charlotte School of Law Teach-Out Plan
- WBTV, Alumni President: Charlotte School of Law Closing 'Effective Immediately'
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- It Begins . . . Department Of Education Cuts Off Federal Student Loans For Charlotte Law School, Effective Dec. 31 (Dec. 19, 2016)
- More On The Department Of Education's Decision To Cut Off Federal Student Loans For Charlotte Law School(Dec. 20, 2016)
- Students, Faculty React To Department Of Education's Decision To Cut Off Federal Student Loans For Charlotte Law School (Dec. 23, 2016)
- Students File $5 Million Class Action Lawsuit Against Charlotte Law School (Dec. 24, 2016)
- Editorial: 'Unconscionable' Leaders Hid Charlotte Law School's Problems To Keep Revenue Flowing; 'Catastrophic Fiasco May Destroy Lives Of Hundreds Of Innocent Students' (Dec. 29, 2016)
- Charlotte Law School Works On Transfer Plan With Florida Coastal As Rumors And Lawsuits Swirl After Feds Cut Off Student Loans (Jan. 5, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School To Reopen Jan. 17, Despite Feds' Decision To Cut Off Student Loans (Jan. 9, 2017)
- Charlotte Dean Fires Associate Dean For Academics And Faculty Development Who 'Acted As Shield Between InfiLaw And Faculty And Students' (Jan. 10, 2017)
- Is Doomsday Imminent For Charlotte Law School? Is The ABA Going To Do Anything About The Other 2 InfiLaw Schools? (Jan. 11, 2017)
- Leef: Feds Should Eliminate Student Loans For All Law Schools, Not Just Charlotte (Jan. 15, 2017)
- The Demise Of Charlotte Law School Resurrects Talk Of New Law School At University Of North Carolina-Charlotte (Jan. 16, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School To File Teach-Out Plan With ABA To Protect Students As School Shuts Down (Jan. 18, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Fires Two-Thirds Of Faculty And Staff, Abandons Teach-Out Plan As Negotiations With Department Of Education Collapse; Classes Begin Jan. 23 (Jan. 19, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Rejects Feds' Demand That It Close Immediately And Let Teach-Out Partner Florida Coastal Take Over Classes; Hopes For 'Fairer Hearing' From Trump Administration (Jan. 23, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Reopens: 33% Of Students Have Transferred, Prof Says 42% Bar Pass Rate Would Have Been In 20s But For Payments To Students Not To Take Bar (Jan. 25, 2017)
- The Law School That Crumbled: Triumph Or Tragedy? (Jan. 26, 2017)
- The Charlotte Law School Tapes: Dean Drops F-Bombs, Calls Faculty 'Delusional' About Their Power (Jan. 27, 2017)
- An Update On The Charlotte Law School Faculty Firings (Jan. 28, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Launches Food Drive For Students, Submits Teach-Out Plan To ABA; Is It Closing? (Jan. 29, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Enrollment Shrinks 62% Since Fall Semester; 2L Hit With Honor Code Violation For Criticizing Administration (Feb. 4, 2017)
- Former Dean: ABA Should Deploy SWAT Teams To Rescue Students At Failing Law Schools (Feb. 6, 2017)
- Charlotte Law Students Skewer Administration; Terminated Faculty Lawyer Up (Feb. 7, 2017)
- NY Times: The Crisis At Charlotte Law School (Feb. 8, 2017)
- Alumni Demand Resignation of Charlotte Law School Dean, President (Feb. 9, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Is Delinquent On Its $148k Property Tax Bill, Says Check Is In The Mail (Feb. 18, 2017)
- Dean Of 'Beleaguered' Charlotte Law School Steps Down; Interim Dean Named (Mar. 21, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Dean Resigns After Three Weeks On The Job (Apr. 14, 2017)
- North Carolina AG Opens Investigation Of Charlotte Law School (Apr. 25, 2017)
- Teetering Charlotte Law School Seeks To Toss Class Actions (Apr. 27, 2017)
- Is This The End Of Charlotte Law School? (May 1, 2017)
- Department Of Education Throws Student Loan Lifeline To Teetering Charlotte Law School (May 13, 2017)
- After Hiring Lobbyist Who Helped Get Education Secretary Betsy DeVos Confirmed, Charlotte Law School Gets Federal Student Loan Lifeline (May 24, 2017)
- The Clock Is Ticking For Charlotte Law School (June 22, 2017)
- The Death Knell For Charlotte Law School? (June 23, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Faces An Uncertain Future, But It Is Not Alone (July 31, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Says Department Of Education Will Restore Federal Student Loans, DOE Demurrs (Aug. 2, 2017)
- Bloomberg: DeVos Offers Lifeline To For-Profit Law School That Hired Her Former Advisor (Aug. 6, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School's License To Operate Expired Aug. 10, May Shut Down (Aug. 10, 2017)
- The Future Of A Once-Doomed Law School Is Brighter Thanks To Trump Administration (Aug. 11, 2017)