Thursday, June 22, 2017
Following up on my previous posts (links below): News & Observer, The Clock Is Ticking For Charlotte School of Law to Prove It’s Financially Stable:
The Charlotte School of Law has until early August to prove its financial stability or face revocation of its license to operate in North Carolina.
A committee of the UNC Board of Governors, acting on behalf of the full board, voted Wednesday to severely restrict the school’s activities as it seeks to survive long enough to graduate its remaining 100 students.
The action Wednesday gives the for-profit school a limited amount of time to prove that it’s stable. The conditions must be met or Charlotte School of Law’s license would automatically be revoked, and it would cease operations in the state.
The law school, already on probation by the American Bar Association, cannot admit new students and must present evidence to UNC by Aug. 1 that it is in compliance with state licensure standards. It must have a sufficient tuition guaranty bond, which would refund students’ prepaid tuition if the school went out of business. And by Aug. 10, the school must obtain permission from the ABA to “teach out” its remaining students and a decision by the U.S. Department of Education to allow the students access to financial aid.
WFAE, Charlotte School Of Law Hires New Interim Dean:
Paul Megget has been hired as the Charlotte School of Law's new interim dean. He currently works as an associate professor at the school, and he becomes the third person to serve as dean in three months. The previous two deans, Jay Conison and Scott Broyles, both stepped down amid ongoing troubles at the school.
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- It Begins . . . Department Of Education Cuts Off Federal Student Loans For Charlotte Law School, Effective Dec. 31 (Dec. 19, 2016)
- More On The Department Of Education's Decision To Cut Off Federal Student Loans For Charlotte Law School (Dec. 20, 2016)
- Students, Faculty React To Department Of Education's Decision To Cut Off Federal Student Loans For Charlotte Law School (Dec. 23, 2016)
- Students File $5 Million Class Action Lawsuit Against Charlotte Law School (Dec. 24, 2016)
- Editorial: 'Unconscionable' Leaders Hid Charlotte Law School's Problems To Keep Revenue Flowing; 'Catastrophic Fiasco May Destroy Lives Of Hundreds Of Innocent Students' (Dec. 29, 2016)
- Charlotte Law School Works On Transfer Plan With Florida Coastal As Rumors And Lawsuits Swirl After Feds Cut Off Student Loans (Jan. 5, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School To Reopen Jan. 17, Despite Feds' Decision To Cut Off Student Loans (Jan. 9, 2017)
- Charlotte Dean Fires Associate Dean For Academics And Faculty Development Who 'Acted As Shield Between InfiLaw And Faculty And Students' (Jan. 10, 2017)
- Is Doomsday Imminent For Charlotte Law School? Is The ABA Going To Do Anything About The Other 2 InfiLaw Schools? (Jan. 11, 2017)
- Leef: Feds Should Eliminate Student Loans For All Law Schools, Not Just Charlotte (Jan. 15, 2017)
- The Demise Of Charlotte Law School Resurrects Talk Of New Law School At University Of North Carolina-Charlotte (Jan. 16, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School To File Teach-Out Plan With ABA To Protect Students As School Shuts Down (Jan. 18, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Fires Two-Thirds Of Faculty And Staff, Abandons Teach-Out Plan As Negotiations With Department Of Education Collapse; Classes Begin Jan. 23 (Jan. 19, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Rejects Feds' Demand That It Close Immediately And Let Teach-Out Partner Florida Coastal Take Over Classes; Hopes For 'Fairer Hearing' From Trump Administration (Jan. 23, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Reopens: 33% Of Students Have Transferred, Prof Says 42% Bar Pass Rate Would Have Been In 20s But For Payments To Students Not To Take Bar (Jan. 25, 2017)
- The Law School That Crumbled: Triumph Or Tragedy? (Jan. 26, 2017)
- The Charlotte Law School Tapes: Dean Drops F-Bombs, Calls Faculty 'Delusional' About Their Power (Jan. 27, 2017)
- An Update On The Charlotte Law School Faculty Firings (Jan. 28, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Launches Food Drive For Students, Submits Teach-Out Plan To ABA; Is It Closing? (Jan. 29, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Enrollment Shrinks 62% Since Fall Semester; 2L Hit With Honor Code Violation For Criticizing Administration (Feb. 4, 2017)
- Former Dean: ABA Should Deploy SWAT Teams To Rescue Students At Failing Law Schools (Feb. 6, 2017)
- Charlotte Law Students Skewer Administration; Terminated Faculty Lawyer Up (Feb. 7, 2017)
- NY Times: The Crisis At Charlotte Law School (Feb. 8, 2017)
- Alumni Demand Resignation of Charlotte Law School Dean, President (Feb. 9, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Is Delinquent On Its $148k Property Tax Bill, Says Check Is In The Mail (Feb. 18, 2017)
- Dean Of 'Beleaguered' Charlotte Law School Steps Down; Interim Dean Named (Mar. 21, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Dean Resigns After Three Weeks On The Job (Apr. 14, 2017)
- North Carolina AG Opens Investigation Of Charlotte Law School (Apr. 25, 2017)
- Teetering Charlotte Law School Seeks To Toss Class Actions (Apr. 27, 2017)
- Is This The End Of Charlotte Law School? (May 1, 2017)
- Department Of Education Throws Student Loan Lifeline To Teetering Charlotte Law School (May 13, 2017)
- After Hiring Lobbyist Who Helped Get Education Secretary Betsy DeVos Confirmed, Charlotte Law School Gets Federal Student Loan Lifeline (May 24, 2017)