Monday, May 1, 2017
Following up on my previous posts on the deepening troubles at Charlotte Law School (links below): Greensboro News & Observer, Is This the End of Charlotte Law?:
A few months ago in this space, I noted the crumbling of Charlotte School of Law. The ABA had put the school on probation in November, the feds cut off funding in December, and the school reopened after the winter break in late January despite losing a third of its students and laying off up to two-thirds of its faculty and staff.
The law school promised to stay open through May, and it’s shambling forward, zombie-like, toward the end of the semester, albeit without its interim dean, who quit April 13 after just three weeks on the job. ...
Now, according to Politico, N.C. Attorney General Josh Stein is poking his nose into Charlotte Law’s business. ... The next BOG meeting is May 19-20, and Politico notes that President Margaret Spellings might have a recommendation to the board then. Cue ominous music.
Could Charlotte Law survive a Stein-Spellings onslaught. Sure, I guess. But my money’s on Lucille, not the zombie.
For more on Charlotte Law, the TaxProfBlog is keeping a running list of all the things that have happened down there.
(Hat Tip: Eric Chiappinelli.)
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- It Begins . . . Department Of Education Cuts Off Federal Student Loans For Charlotte Law School, Effective Dec. 31 (Dec. 19, 2016)
- More On The Department Of Education's Decision To Cut Off Federal Student Loans For Charlotte Law School (Dec. 20, 2016)
- Students, Faculty React To Department Of Education's Decision To Cut Off Federal Student Loans For Charlotte Law School (Dec. 23, 2016)
- Students File $5 Million Class Action Lawsuit Against Charlotte Law School (Dec. 24, 2016)
- Editorial: 'Unconscionable' Leaders Hid Charlotte Law School's Problems To Keep Revenue Flowing; 'Catastrophic Fiasco May Destroy Lives Of Hundreds Of Innocent Students' (Dec. 29, 2016)
- Charlotte Law School Works On Transfer Plan With Florida Coastal As Rumors And Lawsuits Swirl After Feds Cut Off Student Loans (Jan. 5, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School To Reopen Jan. 17, Despite Feds' Decision To Cut Off Student Loans (Jan. 9, 2017)
- Charlotte Dean Fires Associate Dean For Academics And Faculty Development Who 'Acted As Shield Between InfiLaw And Faculty And Students' (Jan. 10, 2017)
- Is Doomsday Imminent For Charlotte Law School? Is The ABA Going To Do Anything About The Other 2 InfiLaw Schools? (Jan. 11, 2017)
- Leef: Feds Should Eliminate Student Loans For All Law Schools, Not Just Charlotte (Jan. 15, 2017)
- The Demise Of Charlotte Law School Resurrects Talk Of New Law School At University Of North Carolina-Charlotte (Jan. 16, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School To File Teach-Out Plan With ABA To Protect Students As School Shuts Down (Jan. 18, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Fires Two-Thirds Of Faculty And Staff, Abandons Teach-Out Plan As Negotiations With Department Of Education Collapse; Classes Begin Jan. 23 (Jan. 19, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Rejects Feds' Demand That It Close Immediately And Let Teach-Out Partner Florida Coastal Take Over Classes; Hopes For 'Fairer Hearing' From Trump Administration (Jan. 23, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Reopens: 33% Of Students Have Transferred, Prof Says 42% Bar Pass Rate Would Have Been In 20s But For Payments To Students Not To Take Bar (Jan. 25, 2017)
- The Law School That Crumbled: Triumph Or Tragedy? (Jan. 26, 2017)
- The Charlotte Law School Tapes: Dean Drops F-Bombs, Calls Faculty 'Delusional' About Their Power (Jan. 27, 2017)
- An Update On The Charlotte Law School Faculty Firings (Jan. 28, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Launches Food Drive For Students, Submits Teach-Out Plan To ABA; Is It Closing? (Jan. 29, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Enrollment Shrinks 62% Since Fall Semester; 2L Hit With Honor Code Violation For Criticizing Administration (Feb. 4, 2017)
- Former Dean: ABA Should Deploy SWAT Teams To Rescue Students At Failing Law Schools (Feb. 6, 2017)
- Charlotte Law Students Skewer Administration; Terminated Faculty Lawyer Up (Feb. 7, 2017)
- NY Times: The Crisis At Charlotte Law School (Feb. 8, 2017)
- Alumni Demand Resignation of Charlotte Law School Dean, President (Feb. 9, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Is Delinquent On Its $148k Property Tax Bill, Says Check Is In The Mail (Feb. 18, 2017)
- Dean Of 'Beleaguered' Charlotte Law School Steps Down; Interim Dean Named (Mar. 21, 2017)
- Charlotte Law School Dean Resigns After Three Weeks On The Job (Apr. 14, 2017)
- North Carolina AG Opens Investigation Of Charlotte Law School (Apr. 25, 2017)
- Teetering Charlotte Law School Seeks To Toss Class Actions (Apr. 27, 2017)