Thursday, March 9, 2017
The Recorder, Lawmakers Ask Calif. Chief Justice to Cut State Bar Exam Score:
Democratic members of the Assembly Judiciary Committee asked the California Supreme Court on Thursday to temporarily reduce the required passing score on the state bar exam.
California’s pass score, also known as the cut score, is the second highest in the nation. The cut score has been under fire since November, when the results from the July exam revealed that just 43 percent of test-takers passed—a 32-year low.
Frustrated law school deans told lawmakers at a hearing last month that the high score is putting their graduates at a competitive disadvantage and forcing educators to spend too much time focusing on test preparation. ...
State Bar executive director Elizabeth Rindskopf Parker testified at the February hearing that “there is no good answer” for why the state’s cut score is so high. ...
In a letter sent Tuesday to state bar leaders, the chief justice noted the deans’ “significant concerns” and asked bar officials to investigate the exam and its pass rates and to issue a report by Dec. 1. On Thursday, Assembly members said a study with no promised action “will not adequately address this crisis.”
Previous TaxProf Blog coverage:
- July 2016 California Bar Exam (Nov. 22, 2016)
- More On The California Bar Exam (Dec. 5, 2016)
- Who Is To Blame For UC-Hastings 'Horrific' 51% Bar Pass Rate? (Dec. 7, 2016)
- July 2016 California Bar Exam Results: Nine Law Schools (Including UC-Hastings) Are At Risk Of Failing ABA's Proposed New Bar Passage Accreditation Standard (Dec. 13, 2016)
- Anderson: Deans, Denial, And The California Bar Exam (Dec. 20, 2016)
- Despite 'Horrific' 51% Bar Passage Rate, New UC-Hastings Dean Says School Is Poised To 'Catapult Into National Preeminence' Using NYU As A Model (Dec. 21, 2016)
- California Law School Bar Pass Rates Recalculated For New York: Stanford, UCB, USC > NYU; UCI, UCLA > Columbia; Chapman, Loyola, McGeorge, Pepperdine, Santa Clara, UCD, USD > Fordham (Dec. 22, 2016)
- More On The July 2016 California Bar Exam (Dec. 26, 2016)
- California’s New Bar Exam Format And ABA’s Proposed 75% Bar Passage Requirement Will Adversely Impact Diversity, Women, And Access To The Legal Profession (Jan. 30, 2017)
- Deans Of 20 Of California's 21 ABA-Accredited Law Schools Ask State Supreme Court To Lower Bar Exam Pass Score (Feb. 2, 2017)
- ABA 'Overwhelmingly' Rejects 75% Bar Passage Requirement (Feb. 7, 2017)
- California Law Deans Take Bar Exam Complaints To Lawmakers; State Bar Director Admits There Is 'No Good Answer' For High MBE Pass Score (Feb. 15, 2017)
- Beyond The Cut Score: Piercing The Veil Of The California Bar Exam's Validity (Mar. 2, 2017)