Friday, November 4, 2016
The Dan Markel Murder: Fascinating Details About The Adelson Family Dynamics
Above the Law, The Dan Markel Case: More Details About His Marriage To Wendi Adelson (And About Wendi’s Mother, Donna Adelson):
I’d like to share with you some interesting information that I’ve received from readers.
Danny and Wendi met through a dating website (if I recall correctly, it was JDate) ... When Wendi saw Danny’s picture, Donna Adelson, her mom, was by her — and in fact they chose together. ...
Wendi has another brother, Robert Adelson, who has flown under the radar — partly because, as noted by our first source, he’s estranged from the rest of the family. ...
Robert Adelson is a well-established, well-regarded doctor, who lives in Albany, New York. ... He was engaged to a fellow doctor, an Indian-American woman who specializes in emergency medicine — but that engagement ended, in part due to Donna’s interference.
He then married “a nice Jewish girl,” but that marriage ended in short order. He eventually married the Indian-American doctor — and broke off (or significantly reduced) contact with the rest of the Adelson family. He and his wife remain happily married, with children — but because of his estrangement from the family, Donna must focus her grandmotherly energies on Wendi’s two kids with Danny.
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- Man Arrested In Murder Of Dan Markel (May 26, 2016)
- Dan Markel Killing Investigated As Murder for Hire, 5-6 More Arrests Expected (May 26, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (May 31, 2016)
- Police: Dan Markel Was Killed In Murder-For-Hire Plot Orchestrated By Ex-Wife's Brother (June 2, 2016)
- Anatomy Of The Hit On Dan Markel (June 4, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (June 6, 2016)
- Wendi Adelson Discusses Her Ex-Husband Dan Markel's Murder: Transcript And Commentary (June 8, 2016)
- Dan Markel's Law Prof Colleagues Finger Ex-Wife's Family In Murder-For-Hire Killing (June 10, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (June 13, 2016)
- Grand Jury Indicts Two Hit Men In Dan Markel's Murder, State Attorney Expects More Indictments; Girlfriend Of Ex-Brother-in-Law Denies Ex-Wife's Family's Involvement (June 18, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: In Defense Of Charlie Adelson (June 21, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: Hit Men Thwarted In Previous Attempt To Kill FSU Law Prof (June 27, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: Charlie Adelson Denies 'Any Involvement' (July 3, 2016)
- Lawyer Denies Adelson Family's Involvement In Dan Markel's Murder, Fingers Florida State Law Students, PrawfsBlawg Readers As Possible Suspects (July 18, 2016)
- Today Marks Two Year Anniversary Of Dan Markel's Murder (July 18, 2016)
- The Adelson Family (Through Their Attorneys) Deny Any Involvement In Dan Markel's Murder (Aug. 3, 2016)
- Prosecutors Seek Records Showing Wendi Adelson's Brother Paid For Breast Enhancement Surgery For Mother Of Hit Man's Children After Dan Markel's Murder (Aug. 20, 2016)
- Judge In Dan Markel Murder Case Approves Subpoena To See If Wendi Adelson's Brother Paid For Breast Implants For Mother Of Hit Man's Children (Aug. 23, 2016)
- Police Video Released Of Wendi Adelson Being Told Of Dan Markel's Murder, Says Her Brother Joked About Hiring A Hit Man (Aug. 27, 2016)
- FBI Interview With Ex-Girlfriend Of Dan Markel's Ex-Brother-in-Law/Mother Of Hit Man's Children (Aug. 28, 2016)
- Adelson Family Will Not Be Charged In Dan Markel's Murder Despite Circumstantial Evidence Released By Police (Including $1 Million Offer To Allow Children To Move To Miami, Communication And Money Trail To Hit Men) (Sept. 9, 2016)
- Police Reach Out To Feds As Tensions Flare With Prosecutor Over Decision Not To Charge Adelson Family In Markel Murder; Ex-Brother-in-Law Discussed Killing Undercover Agent (Sept. 10, 2016)
- ABC News To Feature Dan Markel Murder Case On Friday's 20/20 Program (Sept. 14, 2016)
- Last Night's ABC News 20/20 Program On The Dan Markel Murder: In-Laws & Outlaws (Sept. 17, 2016)
- Judge Denies Change Of Venue In Trial Of Markel's Alleged Hit Man; Defense Seeks Testimony Of Other Possible Perpetrators (Sept. 29, 2016)
- Katherine Magbanua (Mother Of Hit Man's Children, Worker In Adelson Dental Practice, Girlfriend Of Charlie Adelson) Charged With Murder of Dan Markel (Oct. 2, 2016)
- More On Katherine Magbanua's Arrest In Dan Markel's Murder (Oct. 3, 2016)
- Plea Deal For Hit Man In Dan Markel Murder (Oct. 4, 2016)
- Prosecutors Zero In On Adelson Family After Plea Deal With Hit Man, Arrest Of Accomplice In Markel Murder(Oct. 5, 2016)
- Hit Man Implicates Wendi Adelson In Dan Markel's Murder (Oct. 11, 2016)
- Update: Hit Man Implicates Wendi Adelson In Dan Markel's Murder (Oct. 12, 2016)
- Wendi Adelson's Attorney Questions Credibility Of Hit Man's Statement Implicating Ex-Wife In Dan Markel's Murder (Oct. 13, 2016)
- Dan Markel's Parents Discuss With Prosecutors Emergency Placement Of Their Grandchildren Upon Forthcoming Arrests Of Adelsons (Oct. 14, 2016)
- Update On Dan Markel Murder Investigation (Oct. 15, 2016)
- More Details Emerge Linking Adelson Family To Dan Markel's Murder (Oct. 18, 2016)
- What Wendi Adelson's Novel Reveals About Dan Markel's Murder (Oct. 19, 2016)
- The Dan Markel Murder Investigation: Why Was Katherine Magbanua's First Degree Murder Charge Reduced To Second Degree Murder? (Oct. 25, 2016)
- CrimeStoppers Reduces Reward For Tips In Dan Markel Murder Investigation From $25k To $3k (Oct. 26, 2016)
- Wendi Adelson's Novel: Art Imitating Life? (Oct. 27, 2016)
- Experts Expect Charlie And Donna Adelson To Be Charged In Dan Markel's Murder (Oct. 30, 206)
I wonder what she thought of Charlie's relationship with Katherine Magbuana, a Roman Catholic Filipina?
Robert was intending to marry Dr. Challapalli, and eventually did. Chuckie's just been getting some trim. (Not attractive at any age, especially in a man 39 years old). What's interesting is that the three of them were certainly giving succor to, if not stoking, Wendi's formless dissatisfaction with her (Jewish intellectual / professional) husband. That's not something you do when you have your daughter's best interests at heart. The number of women who fancy they can trade up exceeds by an order of magnitude the number of women who actually can trade up (and, of course, that's a terrible way of looking at your marriage). Also, you can never fully and truly divorce someone with whom you've had children (something Wendi learned the hard way).
Posted by: Art Deco | Nov 7, 2016 10:06:47 AM
Sounds as though Donna Adelson was WAAAYYY too involved in her adult kids' lives - with disastrous results for both Wendi and Robert. If she was opposed to Robert's relationship with a non-Jewish South Asian woman, I wonder what she thought of Charlie's relationship with Katherine Magbuana, a Roman Catholic Filipina?
Posted by: Barbara | Nov 5, 2016 9:18:01 AM
Art Deco - I would think both Donna and Sue could be names of a Jewish woman on their own, but the threat to baptize the kids must have come from *somewhere*. That doesn't just come totally out of the blue, I wouldn't think.
Posted by: anon | Nov 4, 2016 4:11:39 PM
Is Donna Sue Catholic by birth?
"Donna Sue" sounds Southern, but I think she's a graduate of Brooklyn College. She and her husband are from Long Island & the Outer Boroughs, . They decamped to Miami in 1973. Evidently "Donna" can be rendered in Hebrew as "Donna" or "Adina", and "Sue" as "Shoshana". There are a half-dozen rough equivalents for "Wendi". None of them have a terminal 'i', so your daughter can't add smiley-faces or hearts to her name.
Posted by: Art Deco | Nov 4, 2016 7:08:03 AM
This is congruent with certain biographical curios re Robert Adelson, particularly his move from Gainesville to Albany. Both he and Mrs. Adelson practiced medicine in Gainesville, and both had completed their residencies elsewhere.
Mrs. Adelson was actually born in India. She was naturalized in Sept. 1990 consequent to a petition filed by her father. She was a minor at the time, but signed the oath of allegiance herself.
You can verify another detail: the Texas Marriage Collection and Divorce Index has an entry for the marriage of a Robert Adelson and a Deborah Wallenstein in Dallas on 27 March 2004. The marriage was dissolved on 22 July 2004.
Posted by: Art Deco | Nov 4, 2016 6:56:54 AM
This was really interesting. I'm glad Robert was able to get back with the Indian-American after the hiatus in the relationship. It also goes to Donna's pathologies.
One thing I am curious about - there was that threat Donna wanted to use to have Markel's kids baptized Catholic, which Wendi rejected. Robert married a nice Jewish girl the first time. And Wendi & Dan may have met via JDate. Adelsons are Jewish, but 'Donna Sue' doesn't seem like a very Jewish name to me. Is Donna Sue Catholic by birth?
Posted by: yippee | Nov 4, 2016 5:53:01 AM
Sounds like Wendi and Donna Sue were just looking for a sperm donor and wholly unprepared for a devoted husband and father unwilling to abandon his children.
Posted by: Rob | Nov 8, 2016 8:19:26 AM