Tallahassee Democrat, Suspected Link in Markel Killing Charged With Murder:
Katherine Magbanua, the suspected link between the family of Dan Markel's ex-wife and the two men accused of shooting him, was arrested on murder charges in Broward County.
Magbanua, 31, was booked into the Broward County Jail on Saturday.
Police say Magbanua connected Sigfredo Garcia, the father of her two children, and Luis Rivera with the family of Markel’s ex-wife Wendi Adelson.
Investigators say Rivera and Garcia were hired to kill Markel in connection with his acrimonious divorce from Adelson. They were charged with first-degree murder in May. ...
Police say Rivera and Garcia, who will stand trial Oct. 24 and Nov. 14 respectively, traveled to Tallahassee from Miami in a rented Toyota Prius. Multiple security cameras showed them tailing the 41-year-old throughout the day he was killed. A similar Prius was seen leaving Markel's home after sounds of gunfire were heard by a neighbor.
The first person Garcia called when his phone was picked up on cellular towers in the Lake City area after the shooting was Magbanua. The call to Magbanua was one of 2,700 investigators found Garcia made to her between May 1, 2014, and July 19, 2014 — the day after Markel’s killing.
Prosecutors have called Magbanua a suspect, or at least a witness, in the killing for months. Last month they sought records of a breast enhancement procedure she had they say was partially paid for by Charlie Adelson. At one point, the two were involved in a romantic relationship, court records say. Call records show she is one of the periodontist's top contacts.
Following the slaying, Rivera and Garcia purchased several cars and motorcycles around the same time Magbanua began receiving paychecks from the family's dentistry practice, court records say. The checks were handwritten and signed by Donna Adelson. ...
Police found between Markel’s killing in July 2014 and Nov. 2015, Magbanua deposited more than $56,000 in cash into her bank account. ... “Investigators believe that Magbanua is supported financially by Charlie Adelson," court records say, "and has received numerous benefits from the Adelsons since Markel’s murder.”
ABC News, New Suspect Arrested in 2014 Murder of Florida Professor Dan Markel:
An attorney for Magbanua, Tara Kawass, declined to directly comment on the allegations, but released this statement to ABC News late Saturday. "Katherine is a single mom who has no prior convictions. There was no reason to arrest her like this. Our sole priority right now is getting her on bond so she can take care of her two kids."
No one in the Adelson family has been charged in connection with Markel's murder, and their attorneys have described allegations by police that the family was involved in the killing as "fanciful fiction."
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- Man Arrested In Murder Of Dan Markel (May 26, 2016)
- Dan Markel Killing Investigated As Murder for Hire, 5-6 More Arrests Expected (May 26, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (May 31, 2016)
- Police: Dan Markel Was Killed In Murder-For-Hire Plot Orchestrated By Ex-Wife's Brother (June 2, 2016)
- Anatomy Of The Hit On Dan Markel (June 4, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (June 6, 2016)
- Wendi Adelson Discusses Her Ex-Husband Dan Markel's Murder: Transcript And Commentary (June 8, 2016)
- Dan Markel's Law Prof Colleagues Finger Ex-Wife's Family In Murder-For-Hire Killing (June 10, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (June 13, 2016)
- Grand Jury Indicts Two Hit Men In Dan Markel's Murder, State Attorney Expects More Indictments; Girlfriend Of Ex-Brother-in-Law Denies Ex-Wife's Family's Involvement (June 18, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: In Defense Of Charlie Adelson (June 21, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: Hit Men Thwarted In Previous Attempt To Kill FSU Law Prof (June 27, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: Charlie Adelson Denies 'Any Involvement' (July 3, 2016)
- Lawyer Denies Adelson Family's Involvement In Dan Markel's Murder, Fingers Florida State Law Students, PrawfsBlawg Readers As Possible Suspects (July 18, 2016)
- Today Marks Two Year Anniversary Of Dan Markel's Murder (July 18, 2016)
- The Adelson Family (Through Their Attorneys) Deny Any Involvement In Dan Markel's Murder (Aug. 3, 2016)
- Prosecutors Seek Records Showing Wendi Adelson's Brother Paid For Breast Enhancement Surgery For Mother Of Hit Man's Children After Dan Markel's Murder (Aug. 20, 2016)
- Judge In Dan Markel Murder Case Approves Subpoena To See If Wendi Adelson's Brother Paid For Breast Implants For Mother Of Hit Man's Children (Aug. 23, 2016)
- Police Video Released Of Wendi Adelson Being Told Of Dan Markel's Murder, Says Her Brother Joked About Hiring A Hit Man (Aug. 27, 2016)
- FBI Interview With Ex-Girlfriend Of Dan Markel's Ex-Brother-in-Law/Mother Of Hit Man's Children (Aug. 28, 2016)
- Adelson Family Will Not Be Charged In Dan Markel's Murder Despite Circumstantial Evidence Released By Police (Including $1 Million Offer To Allow Children To Move To Miami, Communication And Money Trail To Hit Men) (Sept. 9, 2016)
- Police Reach Out To Feds As Tensions Flare With Prosecutor Over Decision Not To Charge Adelson Family In Markel Murder; Ex-Brother-in-Law Discussed Killing Undercover Agent (Sept. 10, 2016)
- ABC News To Feature Dan Markel Murder Case On Friday's 20/20 Program (Sept. 14, 2016)
- Last Night's ABC News 20/20 Program On The Dan Markel Murder: In-Laws & Outlaws (Sept. 17, 2016)
- Judge Denies Change Of Venue In Trial Of Markel's Alleged Hit Man; Defense Seeks Testimony Of Other Possible Perpetrators (Sept. 29, 2016)