Friday, October 14, 2016
Dan Markel's Parents Discuss With Prosecutors Emergency Placement Of Their Grandchildren Upon Forthcoming Arrests Of Adelsons
WCTV, Email in Markel Case Suggests Additional Arrests Forthcoming:
An email has surfaced in the murder case of Florida State University professor Dan Markel.
The email was sent by Dan Markel's mother Ruth to lead prosecutor Georgia Cappleman on September 30th. The email was included with court documents recently released in the case. It is not clear if the email was intentionally included in the documents or released by mistake.
In the email, Ruth Markel discusses a "tight plan for emergency placement due to arrests" with Cappleman, appearing to refer to a plan for Dan Markel's children in the event that Markel's in-laws, the Adelsons, are arrested in the case.
The email goes on to list a contact for the Jewish Adoption & Foster Care Options center in Broward County.
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- Man Arrested In Murder Of Dan Markel (May 26, 2016)
- Dan Markel Killing Investigated As Murder for Hire, 5-6 More Arrests Expected (May 26, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (May 31, 2016)
- Police: Dan Markel Was Killed In Murder-For-Hire Plot Orchestrated By Ex-Wife's Brother (June 2, 2016)
- Anatomy Of The Hit On Dan Markel (June 4, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (June 6, 2016)
- Wendi Adelson Discusses Her Ex-Husband Dan Markel's Murder: Transcript And Commentary (June 8, 2016)
- Dan Markel's Law Prof Colleagues Finger Ex-Wife's Family In Murder-For-Hire Killing (June 10, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (June 13, 2016)
- Grand Jury Indicts Two Hit Men In Dan Markel's Murder, State Attorney Expects More Indictments; Girlfriend Of Ex-Brother-in-Law Denies Ex-Wife's Family's Involvement (June 18, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: In Defense Of Charlie Adelson (June 21, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: Hit Men Thwarted In Previous Attempt To Kill FSU Law Prof (June 27, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: Charlie Adelson Denies 'Any Involvement' (July 3, 2016)
- Lawyer Denies Adelson Family's Involvement In Dan Markel's Murder, Fingers Florida State Law Students, PrawfsBlawg Readers As Possible Suspects (July 18, 2016)
- Today Marks Two Year Anniversary Of Dan Markel's Murder (July 18, 2016)
- The Adelson Family (Through Their Attorneys) Deny Any Involvement In Dan Markel's Murder (Aug. 3, 2016)
- Prosecutors Seek Records Showing Wendi Adelson's Brother Paid For Breast Enhancement Surgery For Mother Of Hit Man's Children After Dan Markel's Murder (Aug. 20, 2016)
- Judge In Dan Markel Murder Case Approves Subpoena To See If Wendi Adelson's Brother Paid For Breast Implants For Mother Of Hit Man's Children (Aug. 23, 2016)
- Police Video Released Of Wendi Adelson Being Told Of Dan Markel's Murder, Says Her Brother Joked About Hiring A Hit Man (Aug. 27, 2016)
- FBI Interview With Ex-Girlfriend Of Dan Markel's Ex-Brother-in-Law/Mother Of Hit Man's Children (Aug. 28, 2016)
- Adelson Family Will Not Be Charged In Dan Markel's Murder Despite Circumstantial Evidence Released By Police (Including $1 Million Offer To Allow Children To Move To Miami, Communication And Money Trail To Hit Men) (Sept. 9, 2016)
- Police Reach Out To Feds As Tensions Flare With Prosecutor Over Decision Not To Charge Adelson Family In Markel Murder; Ex-Brother-in-Law Discussed Killing Undercover Agent (Sept. 10, 2016)
- ABC News To Feature Dan Markel Murder Case On Friday's 20/20 Program (Sept. 14, 2016)
- Last Night's ABC News 20/20 Program On The Dan Markel Murder: In-Laws & Outlaws (Sept. 17, 2016)
- Judge Denies Change Of Venue In Trial Of Markel's Alleged Hit Man; Defense Seeks Testimony Of Other Possible Perpetrators (Sept. 29, 2016)
- Katherine Magbanua (Mother Of Hit Man's Children, Worker In Adelson Dental Practice, Girlfriend Of Charlie Adelson) Charged With Murder of Dan Markel (Oct. 2, 2016)
- More On Katherine Magbanua's Arrest In Dan Markel's Murder (Oct. 3, 2016)
- Plea Deal For Hit Man In Dan Markel Murder (Oct. 4, 2016)
- Prosecutors Zero In On Adelson Family After Plea Deal With Hit Man, Arrest Of Accomplice In Markel Murder(Oct. 5, 2016)
- Hit Man Implicates Wendi Adelson In Dan Markel's Murder (Oct. 11, 2016)
- Update: Hit Man Implicates Wendi Adelson In Dan Markel's Murder (Oct. 12, 2016)
- Wendi Adelson's Attorney Questions Credibility Of Hit Man's Statement Implicating Ex-Wife In Dan Markel's Murder (Oct. 13, 2016)
Ooops. Forgot the link paste.
Posted by: anon | Oct 16, 2016 5:31:51 PM
Don't be rattled, Charlie. Apparently Florida won't kill you anymore. You'll just be locked up for the rest of your life...
Posted by: anon | Oct 16, 2016 5:31:32 PM
Do you think a guy who blogs about how long to keep a toothbrush rattles easily? I think not. Nerves of steel.
Posted by: meh. | Oct 15, 2016 3:23:53 PM
Something tells me that this email was meant to rattle the Adelson's and perhaps get Charlie to thinking about how to keep his mother and sister out of prison.
Posted by: Travis | Oct 15, 2016 2:05:25 PM
Did the office redact the e-mail, or did the news media. While we're at it, how is this email 'evidence' the state is required to disclose? It does not bear on the guilt or innocence of any of the defendants or any of the targets.
Posted by: Art Deco | Oct 14, 2016 8:00:13 PM
The email is redacted, I doubt it was released mistakenly.
Posted by: Grant | Oct 14, 2016 12:11:40 PM
I would think that until she is actually convicted of a crime Wendi would get some say in custody arrangements for her children. Just saying.
Posted by: Too much | Oct 14, 2016 12:08:19 PM
Many years ago, a supervisor at a law firm in Rochester had this to say about an applicant: "Professional people are not organized. They expect you to be organized for them". Georgia Cappleman needs office clerks who make fewer mistakes.
The e-mail was sent before the Rivera plea bargain and the Magbanua arrest, so it's a reasonable inference that Mrs. Markel was attempting to set up a contingency plan, but put the phrase 'due to arrests' rather than 'in case of arrests' in the text.
If the Markels are retired (and mother and father are of an age to be), they might be able to take up temporary residency in South Florida until this is all sorted out, but they'd have to take that up with immigration authorities if it were even possible. Presumably, a Florida court would be very wary about granting temporary custody to them were they resident in Toronto, so suggesting that agency in Fort Lauderdale would be the best you could do.
Posted by: Art Deco | Oct 14, 2016 10:02:22 AM
Meh---the only thing CA will have that is steel is the cage he lives in at Raiford.
Posted by: Laz | Oct 17, 2016 12:13:17 PM