Wednesday, September 14, 2016
ABC News To Feature Dan Markel Murder Case On Friday's 20/20 Program
ABC News, How Police Tracked Down and Caught 2 Suspected Hit Men in FSU Professor Murder Case:
Below is a timeline based on police information about how investigators say they were able to track down the two suspects, the alleged hit men that police say were enlisted to kill Dan Markel on July 18, 2014. Watch the full story on ABC News 20/20 this Friday, Sept. 16 at 10 p.m. ET.
People Magazine, Police Allege Brother-in-Law of Florida State Law Professor Dan Markel Orchestrated Execution-Style Killing:
Newly-released police documents allege that the brother of the ex-wife of Dan Markel, the Florida State professor fatally shot execution-style in 2014, should be considered a suspect in his death.
However, State Attorney Willie Meggs disagrees, and dismissed the allegation as "speculation."
In May and June, authorities arrested and charged Sigfredo Garcia, 34, and Luis Rivera, 33, in Markel's death. Both have pleaded not guilty, and are scheduled to be tried together in November.
But in probable cause affidavits obtained by PEOPLE, local investigators allege the killing was not random and have pointed a finger at Charlie Adelson, the brother of Markel's ex-wife, Wendi Adelson. The affidavits list Charlie Adelson and his alleged ex-girlfriend, Katherine Magbanua, along with Garcia and Rivera, alleging that the four are "responsible for the murder of Daniel Markel."
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- Man Arrested In Murder Of Dan Markel (May 26, 2016)
- Dan Markel Killing Investigated As Murder for Hire, 5-6 More Arrests Expected (May 26, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (May 31, 2016)
- Police: Dan Markel Was Killed In Murder-For-Hire Plot Orchestrated By Ex-Wife's Brother (June 2, 2016)
- Anatomy Of The Hit On Dan Markel (June 4, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (June 6, 2016)
- Wendi Adelson Discusses Her Ex-Husband Dan Markel's Murder: Transcript And Commentary (June 8, 2016)
- Dan Markel's Law Prof Colleagues Finger Ex-Wife's Family In Murder-For-Hire Killing (June 10, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (June 13, 2016)
- Grand Jury Indicts Two Hit Men In Dan Markel's Murder, State Attorney Expects More Indictments; Girlfriend Of Ex-Brother-in-Law Denies Ex-Wife's Family's Involvement (June 18, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: In Defense Of Charlie Adelson (June 21, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: Hit Men Thwarted In Previous Attempt To Kill FSU Law Prof (June 27, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: Charlie Adelson Denies 'Any Involvement' (July 3, 2016)
- Lawyer Denies Adelson Family's Involvement In Dan Markel's Murder, Fingers Florida State Law Students, PrawfsBlawg Readers As Possible Suspects (July 18, 2016)
- Today Marks Two Year Anniversary Of Dan Markel's Murder (July 18, 2016)
- The Adelson Family (Through Their Attorneys) Deny Any Involvement In Dan Markel's Murder (Aug. 3, 2016)
- Prosecutors Seek Records Showing Wendi Adelson's Brother Paid For Breast Enhancement Surgery For Mother Of Hit Man's Children After Dan Markel's Murder (Aug. 20, 2016)
- Judge In Dan Markel Murder Case Approves Subpoena To See If Wendi Adelson's Brother Paid For Breast Implants For Mother Of Hit Man's Children (Aug. 23, 2016)
- Police Video Released Of Wendi Adelson Being Told Of Dan Markel's Murder, Says Her Brother Joked About Hiring A Hit Man (Aug. 27, 2016)
- FBI Interview With Ex-Girlfriend Of Dan Markel's Ex-Brother-in-Law/Mother Of Hit Man's Children (Aug. 28, 2016)
- Adelson Family Will Not Be Charged In Dan Markel's Murder Despite Circumstantial Evidence Released By Police (Including $1 Million Offer To Allow Children To Move To Miami, Communication And Money Trail To Hit Men) (Sept. 9, 2016)
- Police Reach Out To Feds As Tensions Flare With Prosecutor Over Decision Not To Charge Adelson Family In Markel Murder; Ex-Brother-in-Law Discussed Killing Undercover Agent (Sept. 10, 2016)
I can't believe the courts have agreed to try the suspects separately. While means and opportunity are well defined ...motive is speculative with vague evidence at best. Plus there is the problem of the suspects purchasing new cars etc right after the murder but, with absolutely no money trail from the Adelson's at this time. (Later maybe) How were the vehicles purchased? Cash or check? How much money was in their banks. If cash was it a withdrawal or something they received from someone else? Rivera was a NORTHERN Florida Latin King Leader. What if he was the person hired and coincidently took Garcia, his friend, along for the ride and company? And, not vice versa. Houston we have a problem.
Posted by: John Smith | Sep 16, 2016 3:03:50 AM
Come on, people! Hillary doesn't have Parkinson's and the ex-wife's family (or ex-wife herself) had absolutely nothing to do with this! Stop listening to your lying brain!
Posted by: Anon | Sep 15, 2016 8:01:22 AM
I think people who live in the Miami and don't have enough to occupy their time during the day need to set up a semi-permanent demonstration with signs, etc. outside of the Adelson dental offices and inform the patients as to what their dentists allegedly participated in.
Posted by: ppp | Sep 14, 2016 4:45:07 PM
Well. The 20/20 piece was well done but not much new info. The most interesting bit was the last line about Rivera in negotiation for a plea deal. I hope that a deal is struck.
Posted by: ppp | Sep 16, 2016 9:13:52 PM