Saturday, August 20, 2016
Tallahassee Democrat, State Seeks Breast Enhancement Records in Markel Case:
Prosecutors are seeking medical records that show Dan Markel’s former brother-in-law paid half the cost of breast enhancement surgery for the girlfriend of one of the law professor’s accused killers.
In a Leon County court hearing Friday, Circuit Judge James Hankinson approved the subpoena for the medical records of Katherine Magbanua.
Magbanua is the suspected link between Sigfredo Garcia and Luis Rivera, who have been charged with first-degree murder in Markel’s shooting, and the family of the 41-year-old professor’s ex-wife Wendi Adelson.
Her brother, Charlie Adelson, and mother, Donna Adelson, are implicated by investigators in Markel’s July 2014 shooting at his Betton Hills home. Attorneys for the family members have denied any involvement in Markel's death.
Magbanua and Charlie Adelson dated around the time Markel was killed. She also worked at the family’s South Florida dental office. Garcia is the father of two of her children.
Prosecutors say Charlie Adelson paid for half of a $6,000 to $7,000 breast implant surgery done by Dr. Leonard Roudner, also known as "Dr. Boobner," in October 2014, roughly three months after Markel’s killing. ...
“You can spin it any way you want to about who paid for the augmentation and what that means,” said Assistant State Attorney Anna Norris in court. “But if Charlie Adelson paid for it, that’s very significant when there is a homicide investigation where there is a conspiracy between him and Ms. Magbanua.”
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- Man Arrested In Murder Of Dan Markel (May 26, 2016)
- Dan Markel Killing Investigated As Murder for Hire, 5-6 More Arrests Expected (May 26, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (May 31, 2016)
- Police: Dan Markel Was Killed In Murder-For-Hire Plot Orchestrated By Ex-Wife's Brother (June 2, 2016)
- Anatomy Of The Hit On Dan Markel (June 4, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (June 6, 2016)
- Wendi Adelson Discusses Her Ex-Husband Dan Markel's Murder: Transcript And Commentary (June 8, 2016)
- Dan Markel's Law Prof Colleagues Finger Ex-Wife's Family In Murder-For-Hire Killing (June 10, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (June 13, 2016)
- Grand Jury Indicts Two Hit Men In Dan Markel's Murder, State Attorney Expects More Indictments; Girlfriend Of Ex-Brother-in-Law Denies Ex-Wife's Family's Involvement (June 18, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: In Defense Of Charlie Adelson (June 21, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: Hit Men Thwarted In Previous Attempt To Kill FSU Law Prof (June 27, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: Charlie Adelson Denies 'Any Involvement'(July 3, 2016)
- Lawyer Denies Adelson Family's Involvement In Dan Markel's Murder, Fingers Florida State Law Students, PrawfsBlawg Readers As Possible Suspects (July 18, 2016)
- Today Marks Two Year Anniversary Of Dan Markel's Murder (July 18, 2016)