Tallahassee Democrat, Documents Reveal Early Markel Investigation:
The just released documents also shed new light on Wendi Adelson's behavior before and after her ex-husband's murder. ...
One of the reports describes an investigation into Jeffrey Lacasse, a former boyfriend of Wendi Adelson. Lacasse, an FSU professor, was cleared as a suspect a few days after Markel’s death.
Several weeks later, on Aug. 12, Lacasse contacted Tallahassee police investigators to tell them about text messages between him and Wendi Adelson he had been reviewing. He said he and Adelson made reservations to travel to California July 11 to 17. She canceled plans on June 4 – two weeks before Rivera and Garcia traveled to Tallahassee during what investigators say was a botched first attempt to kill her ex-husband.
Lacasse said Wendi and others had told him that three weeks after Markel was killed, her brother Charlie Adelson contacted her and asked her to go out and celebrate. That dinner was memorable. Wendi Adelson vomited on the table. Lacasse found that highly suspicious.
“He believed that Wendi Adelson may be indirectly responsible for the murder of her ex-husband, Daniel Markel," the Dec. 4, 2014 TPD report says. “When I informed him that Wendi was not a suspect, he stated ‘well she should be.’”
Within hours of Markel's death, investigators had begun to look at his ex-wife.
Three days after Markel was killed, a judge signed a search warrant for information on Wendi Adelson’s phone and investigators began searching her Web browser and email records.
On her computer, investigators found Google Chrome keyword searches for Markel’s girlfriend Amy Adler, Adler's ex-husband and Adler's brother. They also found that Wendi Adelson had searched several porn sites for “teacher/student porn.”
Above the Law, Harsh Words From An Ex-Boyfriend Of Wendi Adelson, Ex-Wife Of Dan Markel
Update: Above the Law, More Disturbing Details About The Dan Markel Murder Case
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- Man Arrested In Murder Of Dan Markel (May 26, 2016)
- Dan Markel Killing Investigated As Murder for Hire, 5-6 More Arrests Expected (May 26, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (May 31, 2016)
- Police: Dan Markel Was Killed In Murder-For-Hire Plot Orchestrated By Ex-Wife's Brother (June 2, 2016)
- Anatomy Of The Hit On Dan Markel (June 4, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (June 6, 2016)
- Wendi Adelson Discusses Her Ex-Husband Dan Markel's Murder: Transcript And Commentary (June 8, 2016)
- Dan Markel's Law Prof Colleagues Finger Ex-Wife's Family In Murder-For-Hire Killing (June 10, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (June 13, 2016)
- Grand Jury Indicts Two Hit Men In Dan Markel's Murder, State Attorney Expects More Indictments; Girlfriend Of Ex-Brother-in-Law Denies Ex-Wife's Family's Involvement (June 18, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: In Defense Of Charlie Adelson (June 21, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: Hit Men Thwarted In Previous Attempt To Kill FSU Law Prof (June 27, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: Charlie Adelson Denies 'Any Involvement'(July 3, 2016)
- Lawyer Denies Adelson Family's Involvement In Dan Markel's Murder, Fingers Florida State Law Students, PrawfsBlawg Readers As Possible Suspects (July 18, 2016)
- State Outlines Evidence, Witnesses In Markel Murder Case (July 28, 2016)