Tallahassee Democrat, State Outlines Evidence, Witnesses in Markel Case:
The State Attorney's Office has compiled an exhaustive list of possible witnesses and nearly 100 pieces of evidence in its cases against the two men accused of killing Florida State University law professor Dan Markel.
Most of the 175 possible witnesses are TPD officers and residents of the Betton Hills neighborhood, particularly people living on Randolph Circle and Trescott Drive. The list includes Markel’s ex-wife Wendi Adelson, her brother Charlie and parents Harvey and Donna. Others include a self-proclaimed anti-Semite and convicted killer, a woman Markel was romantically linked to and an FSU professor who was dating Wendi Adelson. ...
[D]ocuments revealed so far suggest investigators gathered evidence and conducted a series of interviews immediately after Markel was killed. Jeffrey Lacasse, Wendi Adelson’s boyfriend and an assistant professor in the FSU College of Social Work, was interviewed twice for a combined two hours the week after Markel’s death. About eight months later, he was interviewed for another two and a half hours. Amy Adler, a New York University law professor said to be romantically linked to Markel, is a possible witness but is not listed as having given a statement, court documents said. ...
Police point to the Adelson family’s eagerness to move the couple’s two young boys to South Florida as a possible motive for the murder. The discovery list, which was released last week, said undercover agents recorded two meetings with Donna Adelson in April, about a month before Garcia was arrested.
The list also shows the range of the investigation. Authorities listed law professors from across the United States as potential witnesses as well as some from the FSU College of Law. ... Apart from witnesses, authorities have culled dozens of pieces of physical evidence over the last two years. These include emails from Wendi Adelson, jail calls and email from Rivera, Markel’s life insurance policy, video surveillance and bank records of the Adelson family and Markel.
(Hat Tip: Above the Law.)
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- Man Arrested In Murder Of Dan Markel (May 26, 2016)
- Dan Markel Killing Investigated As Murder for Hire, 5-6 More Arrests Expected (May 26, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (May 31, 2016)
- Police: Dan Markel Was Killed In Murder-For-Hire Plot Orchestrated By Ex-Wife's Brother (June 2, 2016)
- Anatomy Of The Hit On Dan Markel (June 4, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (June 6, 2016)
- Wendi Adelson Discusses Her Ex-Husband Dan Markel's Murder: Transcript And Commentary (June 8, 2016)
- Dan Markel's Law Prof Colleagues Finger Ex-Wife's Family In Murder-For-Hire Killing (June 10, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death (June 13, 2016)
- Grand Jury Indicts Two Hit Men In Dan Markel's Murder, State Attorney Expects More Indictments; Girlfriend Of Ex-Brother-in-Law Denies Ex-Wife's Family's Involvement (June 18, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: In Defense Of Charlie Adelson (June 21, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: Hit Men Thwarted In Previous Attempt To Kill FSU Law Prof (June 27, 2016)
- Update On Murder-For-Hire Investigation Into Dan Markel's Death: Charlie Adelson Denies 'Any Involvement'(July 3, 2016)
- Lawyer Denies Adelson Family's Involvement In Dan Markel's Murder, Fingers Florida State Law Students, PrawfsBlawg Readers As Possible Suspects (July 18, 2016)