National Law Journal, Florida Law Professor Killed in Murder-for-Hire, Police Say:
Florida investigators believe law professor Dan Markel was murdered in 2014 by two convicted felons hired by his ex-wife’s brother.
In a newly unsealed probable-cause affidavit, police said that “a desperate desire” by the family of Markel’s ex-wife to move the couple’s two children from Tallahassee to Miami was the motive of murder suspect Sigfredo Garcia, arrested last week for Markel’s murder. ...
The unsealed affidavit, first reported by the Tallahassee Democrat, says police used a combination of video surveillance, eyewitness accounts, cell phone records, emails and court records pertaining to Markel and his contentious divorce from Wendi Adelson to place Garcia and alleged accomplice Luis Rivera near the crime scene and establish the Adelson family’s motive to put out the hit. ...
Wendi Adelson, who was a clinical professor at Florida State University’s law school, filed for divorce in 2012 after six years of marriage. Investigators described the divorce as “bitter,” with Adelson taking their two sons to her parents’ Miami home without Markel’s consent before she returned. Their divorce was finalized in 2013, although the couple continued to fight in court over finances and access to the children by her mother, whom Markel claimed made “disparaging comments” about him to the children.
“E-mail evidence indicates Wendi’s parents, especially her mother, wanted Wendi to coerce Markel into allowing the relocation to South Florida,” the affidavit says. “Additionally, Wendi’s brother, Charles Adelson (Charlie), reportedly did not like Markel and did not get along with him.”
Police believe Charlie Adelson “was involved in a personal relationship” with Katherine Magbanua, the mother of Garcia’s two children.
- ABA Journal, Affidavit Links Law Prof's Slaying to 'Desperate Desire' of Ex-Wife's Family to Win Custody Battle
- Above the Law, Investigators Allege Involvement Of His Ex-Wife’s Family In The Murder Of Dan Markel
- CBC News, Second Man Charged in Fatal Shooting of Toronto-Born Law Prof Daniel Markel
- CBC News, Toronto Law Professor May Have Been Victim of Murder-for-Hire Plot Linked to Divorce, Say Police
- CBS News, Docs: Suspect in Fla. Prof's Murder Linked to Ex-Wife's Family
- CP24, Second Man to Face Charge in Canadian Professor's Killing in Florida
- Forward, Florida Law Professor Dan Markel’s Murder Blamed on Bitter Custody Fight With Ex-Wife
- Leiter's Law School Reports, Documents Connect Dan Markel's Ex-Wife's Family to Murder-for-Hire Plot
- New York Daily News, Arrest Made in 2014 Slaying of Florida State Law Professor as Authorities Allege Murder-for-Hire Plot That May Have Stemmed from Divorce
- NVS24.com, Florida Law Professor's Execution-Style Shooting Death Tied to Ex-Wife's Family: Investigators
- Tallahassee Democrat, Chief DeLeo: More Arrests Expected in Dan Markel Murder-For-Hire Plot
- Tallahassee Democrat, Family of Dan Markel's Ex-Wife Implicated in Murder Plot
- Tallahassee Democrat, Prius Trailed Dan Markel on Final Morning
- Tallahassee Democrat, Unsealed Markel Documents Cause Confusion at City Hall
- TPM, Police: Professor's Slaying In Murder-For-Hire Plot Linked To Bitter Divorce
- WFSU, TPD Says 'More Arrests Likely' In Murder of FSU Professor Makel
- WXTL, Documents: Markel Custody Battle May be Motive for His Murder
- WXTL, Second Markel Murder Suspect Named as Leadership in Violent Gang