Tuesday, October 27, 2015
The IRS Scandal, Day 901
Politico, Koskinen Back in the Hot Seat:
Let’s be honest: The Justice Department’s decision not to seek criminal charges against Lois Lerner or anyone else for the IRS controversy is about as surprising as the news dribbling out on a Friday afternoon. After all, The Wall Street Journal reported at the beginning of 2014 — more than 21 months ago — that this was the likely outcome. But the timing could make life uncomfortable for the IRS commissioner, John Koskinen, who returns to Capitol Hill to testify on Tuesday about the Senate Finance Committee’s findings [Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4] on the agency’s improper scrutiny of Tea Party groups seeking tax-exempt status. The news, unsurprising as it is, that Lerner won’t face criminal charges will undoubtedly add a little edge to the GOP senators’ questioning of Koskinen — though the IRS chief at least won’t have to face the more strident House Republicans this time around.
- The IRS Scandal, Days 801-900 (July 19, 2015 - Oct. 26, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 701-800 (April 10, 2015 - July 18, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 601-700 (Dec. 31, 2014 - April 9, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 501-600 (Sept. 22, 2014-Dec. 30, 2014)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 401-500 (June 14, 2014 - Sept. 21,2014)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 301-400 (Mar. 6, 2014 - June 13, 2014)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 201-300 (Nov. 26, 2013 - Mar. 5, 2014)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 101-200 (Aug. 18, 2013 - Nov. 25, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 1-100 (May 10, 2013 - Aug. 17, 2013)
Now that Lois Lerner is apparently not going to be prosecuted, why not finally grant her immunity and get some further testimony from her?
Posted by: Joseph W. Mooney | Oct 29, 2015 5:44:01 AM
Mr. Mooney: Yours is a very good question. Given that Lerner is no longer under consideration for prosecution by the executive branch, there would seem to be no good reason for the House Oversight Committee not to grant her immunity. Unless, of course, the House Oversight Committee really doesn't want her testimony.
Posted by: Publius Novus | Oct 29, 2015 7:04:25 AM