Sunday, July 26, 2015
The IRS Scandal, Day 808
Newsmax, Jason Chaffetz: Expect News on Probe of IRS 'As Early As Next Week':
Rep. Jason Chaffetz asserts there is evidence that the IRS intentionally targeted conservative groups under Lois Lerner, the former director of the Exempt Organizations Unit at the agency, and said "there will be news … as early as next week."
Chaffetz, the chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, is leading the congressional investigation into the IRS scandal. On Thursday, he told a group at the Ripon Society in Washington, D.C., the IRS destroyed documents requested by the committee in March 2014.
"Probably the biggest thing our committee is looking at is the IRS," the Utah Republican said. "You have political targeting that is factual at this point. There are no ifs, ands or buts. You had groups within the IRS who were politically targeting conservatives and impeding their First Amendment rights. You're going to continue to hear more about this. Because when the targeting became evident, the Oversight and Government Reform Committee put in place a subpoena for the documents — a small window of Lois Lerner's emails.
"Internally, the IRS put a preservation order in place — don't destroy or get rid of any of these documents. These documents and emails were in the possession of the IRS. And on March 4, 2014, they destroyed them." ...
Chaffetz said during his address at the Ripon Society the IRS deliberately defied orders by destroying the documents.
"Imagine if the IRS had given you a summons for you to produce documents," Chaffetz added. "You had them in your possession, and then you destroyed them. What would happen to you? Do you think they would say, 'Oh, darn it!' No, which is why Congress has to stand up for itself. You cannot — with a duly issued subpoena and eternal preservation order in place — go out and destroy documents and say there is no consequence to that; nobody's going to be held accountable, and nobody is at fault.
Washington Examiner, House Chairman: Documents Prove IRS 'Political Targeting' of Conservatives:
The chairman of the top House committee probing the IRS political witch hunt of President Obama's foes said documents prove that the agency targeted conservatives and then tried to destroy the evidence and he promised "news" on the panel's investigation next week.
"I promise you – there will be news on the IRS side as early as next week. So stay tuned," said Rep. Jason Chaffetz, chair of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.
- Boston Herald editorial, President Punts on IRS
- Daily Signal, Study Finds IRS Targeted Organizations in Biased Way
- GOP USA, Watchdog: Lax Oversight Increases Risk of IRS Targeting Political and Religious Groups
- Investor's Business Daily editorial, IRS Scandal: It's Dangerous To Be On Wrong Side Of Obama
- News Busters, Jay Sekulow Sets the Record Straight on Obama's Laughable Denial of IRS Targeting
- News Busters, New E-Mails Confirm IRS Targeted Donors of Organizations Too, Nets Skip
- One News Now, A Bit Foggy on That IRS Scandal, Mr. President?
- Star Democrat, Watchdog: IRS at Risk For Unfairly Auditing Political Groups
- Town Hall, Issa: The IRS is Still Targeting Conservatives
- Weekly Standard, IRS: Shoddy? Corrupt? Both?
- WND, IRS Audited Conservative Donors, Paperwork Shows
- The IRS Scandal, Day 807 (July 25, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 806 (July 24, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 805 (July 23, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 804 (July 22, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 803 (July 21, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 802 (July 20, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 801 (July 19, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 701-800 (April 10, 2015 - July 18, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 601-700 (Dec. 31, 2014 - April 9, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 501-600 (Sept. 22, 2014-Dec. 30, 2014)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 401-500 (June 14, 2014 - Sept. 21,2014)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 301-400 (Mar. 6, 2014 - June 13, 2014)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 201-300 (Nov. 26, 2013 - Mar. 5, 2014)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 101-200 (Aug. 18, 2013 - Nov. 25, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 1-100 (May 10, 2013 - Aug. 17, 2013)
If he really had a smoking gun, he would provide it and not ask us to stay tuned. This is a pathetic attempt to sway the minds of uninformed and ruin the careers of good government employees.
It is time to put up or shut up.
Posted by: gator | Jul 27, 2015 5:43:51 AM