Sunday, May 3, 2015
Remembering Dan Markel
In Memoriam: Dan Markel, 42 Fla. St. U. L. Rev. 1-15 (2015):
- Garrick Pursley (Florida State), Losing Friends, 42 Fla. St. U. L. Rev. 1 (2015)
- Keith L. Savino (J.D. 2015, Florida State), A Tribute to Professor Dan Markel, 42 Fla. St. U. L. Rev. 9 (2015)
- Ryan Wechslerm (J.D. 2014, Florida State), Dan Markel’s Premature Death Cements His Uncompromising Legacy, 42 Fla. St. U. L. Rev. 13 (2015)
From Dan's father:
On April 26, 2015 we had the “Unveiling of the Headstone” for Dan.
Over 100 Family, Relatives and Friends from near and far, gathered to share this ceremony and tribute to Danny. Rabbi Aaron Flanzraich’s presence and support in leading the service was very comforting and meaningful. Michal, my granddaughter, sang the very moving song “Eli Eli”, and Shelly shared some memories and thanked everyone for continuing to keep Danny's memory alive.
On behalf of Ruth, Shelly, Ian and myself, I want to thank everyone, those who were able to attend, and all of you who could not, but we know your thoughts and prayers are with us. May Danny’s memory be with us always.
Below please find the Inscription/Poem that Rabbi Aaron shared with us in closing.
I Am Not Dead
Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow;
I am diamond glints of snow;
I am the sunlight on ripened grain;
I am the gentle autumn's rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush;
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet birds encircled flight.
I am the soft star that shines at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there, I did not die.
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- Details Emerge in Murder of Dan Markel
- Memorial Tributes to Dan Markel (1972-2014)
- Dan Markel's Death Remains a Mystery Seven Months After Shooting
- Dan Markel's Father Speaks To The Media For The First Time About His Son's Murder