Thursday, January 8, 2015
The IRS Scandal, Day 609
Tribune-Review, BNY Mellon Hires Official Who Headed IRS During Tea Party Targeting:
Bank of New York Mellon hired a former Internal Revenue Service commissioner who modernized the agency's infrastructure but later was the subject of criticism from congressional Republicans over his handling of what they believed was a conspiracy targeting conservative groups.
Douglas Shulman, 47, was appointed senior executive vice president and global head of Client Service Delivery at BNY Mellon and joined the firm's executive committee, the bank said Wednesday.
He will oversee more than 18,500 employees at the world's largest custody bank, BNY Mellon said. He brings experience using technology to manage immense amounts of financial data, most notably in his previous job as commissioner of the IRS from 2008 to 2012. ...
Shulman's time at the IRS has been the subject of political controversy. The agency under his watch was accused of targeting conservative groups seeking a tax exemption. Starting in 2010, an IRS unit picked certain organizations for intensive scrutiny based on their politics, particularly those identifying with so-called Tea Party conservatives, according to a May 2013 report from the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration.
Shulman, who was appointed by President George W. Bush in 2008, told Congress before the report was released that there was no targeting happening. Once the general inspector's report emerged, he faced skeptical Republicans on the Senate Finance Committee who said he should have known about the practice and moved to shut it down.
Shulman said he was “dismayed” by the report's conclusions, but he admitted no wrongdoing on his part.
“I certainly am not personally responsible for creating a list that had inappropriate criteria on it,” Shulman told the committee, adding “With that said, this happened on my watch. And I very much regret that it happened on my watch.”
- The IRS Scandal, Day 608 (Jan. 7, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 607 (Jan. 6, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 606 (Jan. 5, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 605 (Jan. 4, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 604 (Jan. 3, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 603 (Jan. 2, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 602 (Jan. 1, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 601 (Dec. 31, 2014)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 501-600 (Sept. 22, 2014-Dec. 30, 2014)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 401-500 (June 14, 2014 - Sept. 21,2014)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 301-400 (Mar. 6, 2014 - June 13, 2014)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 201-300 (Nov. 26, 2013 - Mar. 5, 2014)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 101-200 (Aug. 18, 2013 - Nov. 25, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 1-100 (May 10, 2013 - Aug. 17, 2013)
he modernized the agency's infrastructure with the notable exception of the email backup systems ...
Posted by: kaiserderden | Jan 8, 2015 7:09:48 PM
"[Dougie], yer doin' a heck of a job." --Anonymous
Posted by: Publius Novus | Jan 9, 2015 6:12:13 AM