Wednesday, January 7, 2015
Forbes: Report On IRS Targeting Of Conservatives - No Christmas Pony For Darrell Issa, by Peter J. Reilly:
When I look at the report of Darrell Issa’s Committee on Oversight and Government Reform issued on the eve of Christmas Eve, I can’t help but think of the story of the kid with parents concerned about his excessive optimism. Their therapist, who must have been quite malevolent, suggested that on Christmas morning, there be no presents under the tree and a stocking filled with horse dung. That Christmas morning, the house was filled with the delighted shrieks of the young fellow as he ran around the house looking for the pony that Santa Claus must have brought.
Well the report is derived from 1.3 million pages and 52 transcribed interviews. That’s quite a few stockings full of, well you know. Still no pony. ... The pony being sought is named Watergate or maybe Watergate Jr. George Will, whose career commenced around the time of Watergate, in February 2014 argued that there have been three major scandals Watergate, IranContra and the IRS Scandal. On the other hand, John Dean, whose career as a public servant was terminated by his Watergate involvement finds comparisons between Watergate and the IRS scandal silly. ...
I recommend that if you are interested in the matter you read the report with an open mind. Even though it strongly adopts one narrative, all the material for a different narrative is there. That is why the New York Times can headline its coverage “Probe Fails to Link IRS Scandal to White House” while Ben Shapiro’s Truth Revolt headlines “Issa Releases Damning Report On IRS Scandal” and leads with “Issa’s report contained emails which seemed to indicate there was visceral hatred of the Tea Party by IRS workers.” Frankly, even if I just strongly disliked someone, I could come up with something better than calling them “icky”.
- The IRS Scandal, Day 607 (Jan. 6, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 606 (Jan. 5, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 605 (Jan. 4, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 604 (Jan. 3, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 603 (Jan. 2, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 602 (Jan. 1, 2015)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 601 (Dec. 31, 2014)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 501-600 (Sept. 22, 2014-Dec. 30, 2014)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 401-500 (June 14, 2014 - Sept. 21,2014)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 301-400 (Mar. 6, 2014 - June 13, 2014)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 201-300 (Nov. 26, 2013 - Mar. 5, 2014)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 101-200 (Aug. 18, 2013 - Nov. 25, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Days 1-100 (May 10, 2013 - Aug. 17, 2013)