Thursday, November 13, 2014
National Jurist, 4 New Faces Join list of Most Influential People in Legal Education:
The National Jurist’s list of the Most influential People in Legal Education will include four new names when it is unveiled in its entirety in January, the publication announced.
Paul Caron, Professor at Pepperdine University, Eric Janus, Dean at William Mitchell School of Law, Michael Hunter Schwartz, Dean at University of Arkansas at Little Rock and Maureen A. O’Rourke, Dean at Boston University School of Law all made the list for the first time. Philip J. Weiser, Dean at University of Colorado Law School will return to the list after a one-year absence.
Janus made news late last year as the dean of the first school to get ABA approval for a distance-learning program for J.D. students. Michael Hunter Schwartz and Maureen A. O’Rourke have each spearheaded legal education reforms at their schools. ... Caron, who is new to the list, is an editor of a popular blog that covers legal education in addition to tax law issues.
The National Jurist seeks nominations from every law school and then narrows the list down to 50 nominees. Law school deans, the magazine’s editors and other influencers in legal education then vote.
Twenty honorees return to the list. They are listed below in alphabetical order:
- Paul Campos, Professor of Law, University of Colorado Law School
- Catherine Carpenter, Professor of Law, Southwestern Law School
- Erwin Chemerinsky, Dean, University of California Irvine School of Law
- JoAnne Epps, Dean, Temple University — James E. Beasley School of Law
- Bryant Garth, Professor of Law, University of California Irvine School of Law
- Claudio Grossman, Dean, American University Washington College of Law
- Phoebe Haddon, Former Dean, University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law
- William Henderson, Professor of Law, Indiana University Maurer School of Law — Bloomington
- Martin J. Katz, Dean, University of Denver Sturm College of Law
- Brian Leiter, Professor of Law, The University of Chicago Law School
- Kyle McEntee, Co-Founder, Law School Transparency
- Blake Morant, Dean, George Washington University (former dean at Wake Forest University)
- Randall T. Shepard, Visiting Professor of Law, Indiana University McKinney School of Law
- Michael Simkovic, Professor of Law, Seton Hall University School of Law
- Sophie Sparrow, Professor of Law, University of New Hampshire School of Law
- Brian Tamanaha, Professor of Law, Washington University School of Law
- Susan Westerberg Prager, Dean, Southwestern Law School
- Patricia White, Dean, University of Miami School of Law
- Frank H. Wu, Chancellor and Dean, University of California, Hastings College of Law
- David Yellen, Dean, Loyola University Chicago School of Law