Wednesday, June 5, 2013
The IRS Scandal, Day 27
- Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration: Review of the August 2010 Small Business/Self-Employed Division’s Conference in Anaheim, California (2013-10-037)
- IRS: IRS Key Facts: TIGTA Conference Report
- House Ways & Means Committee Hearing, Organizations Targeted by Internal Revenue Service for Their Personal Beliefs:
- John Eastman (Chair, National Organization for Marriage)
- Dianne Belsom (Laurens County Tea Party)
- Becky Gerritson (Wetumpka Tea Party)
- Karen Kenney (San Fernando Valley Patriots)
- Kevin Kookogey (Founder and President, Linchpins of Liberty Testimony)
- Sue Martinek (Coalition for Life of Iowa Testimony)
- American Thinker: The GOP and the IRS
- Andrew Blair-Stanek (Maryland), The IRS Scandal, Property Rules, and Liability Rules
- Bloomberg: Bad News Piles Up for IRS With Hearing Alongside Critical Report
- Bloomberg: IRS Paid Speaker $17,000 to Paint Michael Jordan at Event
- Bloomberg: Obama Failed to Tell Truth About IRS in Poll With 47% Skeptical
- BuzzFeed: Average Guest Speaker At IRS Conference Made More Than $9,000
- Fox News: Former IRS Commissioner's Wife Tweeted from Occupy Wall Street Rally
- The Hill: New Tax Chief Werfel Pledges to Correct 'Serious Problems' at IRS
- The Hill: Treasury IG Official Compares IRS Scandal to Nixon
- Huffington Post op-ed: The IRS Is Deplorable, by Greta Van Susteren
- Huffington Post op-ed: Let's Stop This Charade, by Rep. Earl Blumenauer
- Investor's Business Daily: Stephanie Cutter Attended White House Meetings With IRS Chief
- L.A. Times: House Republicans Draw More Attention to IRS Problems
- Greg McNeal (Pepperdine), IRS Violated Procedures, Spent Millions on Conferences, Failed to Track Expenses and Paid Bonuses to Event Planners
- DickMorris.com: How IRS Audits Started; The Strange Role of Schulman’s Wife
- Mother Jones: That IRS Conference in Anaheim Isn't Really the Scandal Everyone Thinks It Is
- NBC News: 2010 IRS Conference Featured 'Happiness Expert,' $17K Art Session
- NBC News: Ex-IRS Leader Urges Joint Congressional Probe of Agency's Targeting
- NBC News: Groups Targeted by IRS Describe Red Tape Nightmare
- NewsBusters: Crowd Erupts in Thunderous Applause When Leno Says Obama Should Close IRS Instead of Gitmo
- New York Times: IRS Spent $4.1 Million on Conference, Audit Finds
- Politico: Bob Woodward Criticizes IRS ‘Fiction’
- Politico: Groups Rail Against IRS Targeting at Hearing
- Politico: IRS Spending Report: Pricey Suites, Michael Jordan Paintings
- Rule of Law: White House Counsel Robert Bauer: Architect of IRS Abuse?
- Time: IRS Officials Enjoyed Luxury Rooms at Conference
- Wall Street Journal: IRS Audit Details $4.1 Million Conference
- Washington Examiner: IRS Refuses to Turn Over Documents on Targeting to Senate
- Washington Examiner: Were Those IRS Shake Your Booty Parties Compensation?
- Washington Post: Another Blow: Senior IRS Officials Got Luxury Hotel Rooms, Free Drinks at $4 Million Meeting
- Washington Post: Audit Details Lavish Spending at IRS Conference
- Washington Post: Conservative Groups Targeted by IRS Testify That Agency Demanded They Curtail Activities
- Weekly Standard: Dem. Congressman Blames IRS Victims For Being Targeted
Prior TaxProf Blog coverage:
- IRS Admits to Targeting Conservative Groups in 2012 Election (May 10, 2013)
- WaPo and WSJ Agree: IRS Targeting of Conservatives Is Appalling (May 11, 2013)
- Schmalbeck on the IRS 'Targeting' of Conservative Groups (May 12, 2013)
- The Deepening IRS Scandal (May 13, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 5 (May 14, 2013)
- Jon Stewart and Vic Fleischer on the IRS Scandal (May 14, 2013)
- Inspector General: Ineffective IRS Management Allowed Agents to Target Conservative Groups (May 14, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 6 (May 15, 2013)
- Ellen Aprill, The TIGTA Report on the IRS Scandal: Questions About the IRS and About the Report (May 15, 2013)
- Phillip Hackney, The TIGTA Report on the IRS Scandal: Be on the Lookout for False Partisan Witchunts (May 15, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 7 (May 16, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 8 (May 17, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 9 (May 18, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 10 (May 19, 2013)
- SNL on the IRS Scandal (May 19, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 11 (May 20, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal: Really?! (May 20, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 12 (May 21, 2013)
- Steven Colbert on the IRS Scandal (May 21, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 13 (May 22, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 14 (May 23, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 15 (May 24, 2013)
- Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert on the IRS Scandal (May 24, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 16 (May 25, 2013)
- Jason Jones on the IRS Scandal (May 25, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 17 (May 26, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 18 (May 27, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 19 (May 28, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 20 (May 29, 2013)
- The Impact of the IRS Scandal on Tax Reform (May 29, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 21 (May 30, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 22 (May 31, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 23 (June 1, 2013)
- 'Cupid Shuffle' Dance Training Video Adds to IRS Woes (June 1, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 24 (June 2, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 25 (June 3, 2013)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 26 (June 4, 2013)
- Jon Stewart on the IRS Scandal (June 4, 2013)
geokstr: "It would be interesting but impossible to determine how many votes that cost Romney.
Given the vote suppression and fraud from the Left, we need a revote.
Posted by: Woody | Jun 5, 2013 2:39:10 PM
Any chart which footnotes The Daily Kos is automatically assumed to be flawed.
Posted by: Woody | Jun 5, 2013 2:35:57 PM
Well, I see that the AICPA, like the ABA, has been taken over by the left now as well. (I am a CPA.)
The "analysis" above follows the White House approved time line and talking points. This was all about understaffing and underfunding, Citizens United is the problem, the Tea Party made them do it.
1) Targeting the Tea Parties begin PRIOR TO the influx of applications from them. I guess the IRS has some psychics (or maybe psychotics) working for them.
2) Lois Lerner has a history of antipathy towards conservatives, going back to the Clinton years, when she was with the FEC
3) Nixon may have targeted this enemies, but there is no evidence that anyone was actually audited because of it
4) Clinton is conveniently left off the list. He had actual audits done of the "bimbos" that erupted, and a number of the few conservative magazines and organizations that existed back then
5) The main reason the conservative spending rose for 501c4 groups was Karl Rove's "American Crossroads" which was a miserable failure. Less than 2% of the candidates he backed won.
6) What is the breakdown of the groups that have not yet been approved? I'll bet every one that's been waiting a long time is on the right.
7) Did the leftwing groups have to submit donor lists and explain the activities of family members and what if anything they pray about? If there was even one such group on the left targeted and asked such intrusive questions, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops as proof there was no bias. All we hear is the sound of crickets.
8) How long on average did it take to approve leftwing groups, like the really phony "non-partisan" group that is just Obama's continuing campaign, "Organizing for America"?
9) During this same period, Obama's brother, Malik, back in Kenya, submitted an application for 501 status nearly three years after he began soliciting "tax-exempt" donations from the US. His application was approved in three weeks, and illegally backdated 2 and a half years by none other than Lois Lerner.
10) Where are the stats for 501c3 groups? There are tons of leftwing groups with totally partisan agendas in both c3 and c4 status, who actively participate in electoral politics, that spend no money on "social welfare", and have been operating up to a decade already. Why have the status of MediaMatters, MoveOn, Center for American Progress, et al, ad nauseum, not been investigated for their practices?
11) The head of the Democrat-supporting IRS employees union visited the White House the same week that the targeting of Tea Party groups began. No connection though, right, just a coincidence?
12) The organizer of True the Vote, within months of applying for c3 status, was subjected to multiple FBI visits, three different IRS audits, an inspection by the EPA, OSHA and other agencies. This little scandal goes far beyond the IRS.
13) For crying out loud, even the IG and the new head of the IRS said under oath that they could not find ANY leftwing group that had been targeted for any reason whatsoever, but these "accountants" don't bother to mention that.
14) The president has made no bones about his hatred of the Tea Parties and conservatives in general. In every speech he gives, he publicly and blatantly names his "enemies list", smears them with lies, and says that everything possible must be done to destroy them. That creates the atmosphere and directions for his minions in the bureaucracy to do anything they can to bring them down, while giving Obama plausible deniability. No written memo is necessary so it will not be found.
And so much more was left out of this partisan "analysis".
I am ashamed of those who call themselves the leaders of my profession. Screw you.
I was wondering what happened to the Tea Parties in the 2012 election. Now it's obvious that they were subjected to active suppression by this tyrannical administration. It would be interesting but impossible to determine how many votes that cost Romney.
Posted by: geokstr | Jun 5, 2013 9:54:50 AM
Give credit to the originator of using the IRS to abuse political opponents -- FDR.
“My father,” admitted [FDR's] son Elliott Roosevelt, “may have been the originator of the concept of employing the IRS as a weapon of political retribution.” -- IRS as Weapon: History Repeats
"FDR used the IRS to investigate his enemies, e.g. Father Coughlin, Rep. Hamilton Fish, publisher Moe Annenberg of the Philadelphia Inquirer and Charles Lindbergh. He also stopped investigations of his friends like Lyndon B. Johnson who had committed tax fraud." -- FDR Scandal Page
"In fact, the use of the ever-intrusive and inquisitorial IRS as a political bludgeon by whichever party controls the executive branch has a long history, starting, apparently, as far back as the administration of Frankling Delano Roosevelt. In New Deal or Raw Deal, author Burton Fulsom, Jr. (admittedly, no FDR fan) devoted a chapter to the early use of the IRS as a political hit squad." -- IRS Has a Long History of Political Abuse
Posted by: Woody | Jun 5, 2013 8:09:59 AM
"Nixon may have targeted this enemies, but there is no evidence that anyone was actually audited because of it"
That was because people refused the order and blew the whistle. Yet when right-wing groups were targeted, nobody refused the order and nobody blew the whistle. At least 88 people were in a position to say no and alert the media.
This history demonstrates beyond any reasonable doubt that the IRS is structurally biased politically from top to bottom and left to... farther left.
Posted by: AMTbuff | Jun 5, 2013 3:03:17 PM