Friday, December 2, 2016
- ABA Journal, Law schools expect applications to increase, but grads' job data shows decline
- ABA Journal, 10 to 15 law schools could close if enrollment keeps shrinking, higher-ed market analyst says
- Above the Law, Dean Resigns After Abysmal Bar Passage Numbers
- D Magazine, How Social Media is Impacting Law Students
- Dan Filler (Drexel), Law Schools Ranked by Job Placement Rate
Friday, November 25, 2016
- ABA Journal, For-Profit Concord School of Law Seeks More State Bar Exam Opportunities For its Grads
- ABA Journal, Some States See Increase in State Bar Pass Rates, While Others Witness Declines
- Above the Law, California’s Bar Exam Passage Rate Reaches 32-Year Low
- Arkansas Times, UALR Law Dean Stepping Down in June
- Paul Caron (Pepperdine), July 2016 California Bar Exam Carnage
Friday, November 18, 2016
- Above the Law, ABA Cracks Down on Law Schools Admitting Students Who Can't Pass The Bar
- Above the Law, What Are Donald Trump’s Plans For Law School Debt
- Paul Caron (Pepperdine), After Denying Provisional Accreditation, ABA Gives Reprieve To Dallas Law School
- Dan Filler (Drexel), ABA Places Charlotte Law On Probation & Censures Valpo Law
- Steven J. Harper (Adjunct Professor, Northwestern), Indiana Tech: Another Law School Lesson Ignored
- Legal Skills Blog, Call for Workshop Proposals: Institute for Law Teaching and Learning
Friday, November 11, 2016
- ABA Journal, South Texas College of Law announces its latest new name
- Above the Law, Law School Blames Lazy Graduates With Low GPAs For Abysmal Performance On Bar Exam
- Doug Berman (Ohio State), How Many of the Many Law Schools in California, Florida and Massachusetts Have Courses in Marijuana Law
- Eduardo R.C. Capulong (Montana), Client as Subject: Humanizing the Legal Curriculum
- Paul Caron (Pepperdine), Arizona State Welcomes 230 1Ls, Up 7% From 2015 (80% From 2013) While Maintaining LSATs, GPAs
Friday, November 4, 2016
- ABA Journal, Indiana Tech Law School will close after $20M loss
- Above the Law, Faculty, Students To File Suit Against Law School For Fraud
- Paul Caron (Pepperdine), Mitchell Hamline Welcomes 338 1Ls This Fall, Down 14% From 2015 (42% From 2010)
- Paul Caron (Pepperdine), Number Of LSAT Test-Takers Rises 1% In Latest Administration, But Only 0.3% For Year
- Alli Gerkman (ETL), Closing the Gap Between Thinking Like a Lawyer and Being One
Friday, October 28, 2016
- ABA Journal, Law school agrees to second name change after losing injunction fight in trademark suit
- Above the Law, New York Bar Exam Results Reveal Higher Passage Rates Thanks To The UBE
- Above the Law, Yikes! New Jersey Bar Exam Results Reveal The Worst Passage Rates In A Decade
- Bill Adams (Deputy Managing Director, Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar), Employment Data Review Update (August 5, 2016)
- Rick Bales (Former Dean, Ohio Northern), TaxProf Blog op-ed: Succession Planning in Law Schools
Friday, October 21, 2016
- ABA Journal, Judge orders law school to stop using its new name
- ABA Journal, More law schools are covering bar review costs: Is it improving pass rates?
- Above the Law, Bar Exam Passage Rates Continue To Plummet Across The Nation
- Above the Law, Law School Posts Worst Bar Exam Passage Rates In Its Existence, Drags Down Entire State’s Passage Rates
Friday, October 14, 2016
- Above the Law, The Dan Markel Case: Luis Rivera Points The Finger At Wendi Adelson
- Above the Law, Dean Of Most Prestigious Law School In America To Step Down
- Above the Law, Pennsylvania Bar Exam Results Reveal Worst Passage Rates In More Than A Decade
- Rick Bales (Former Dean, Ohio Northern), What Would an Efficient Market for Law Schools Look Like?
Friday, October 7, 2016
- ABA Journal, Which law school offers grads the best job prospects?
- Above the Law, Law Schools Agree: There Are Too Many Law Schools
- Above the Law, Which Law School Has The Best Career Prospects? (2017)
- Argus Leader, Growing number of law school grads unable to pass bar exam
- Rick Bales (Former Dean, Ohio Northern), Faculty Bloodletting
Friday, September 30, 2016
- ABA Journal, ABA won't be suspended from accrediting new law schools
- ABA Journal, The leadership opportunity for law schools
- Above the Law, As the Market Struggles to Recover, Midwest Law Schools and Their Students Adapt to New Realities
- Above the Law, Bad Bar Exam Results Prompts Law School To Write Long Letter About Diversity
- Albuquerque Journal, Uniform Bar Exam Is Not the Problem, Is Law School?
Friday, September 23, 2016
- ABA Journal, Several states report lower bar pass rates for July exam
- Above the Law, Guess Which Law School Slayed The Florida Bar Exam, Leaving All Others In The Dust?
- Above the Law, Worst Results Ever? The ONLY Indiana Tech Law Graduate Who Passed The Bar Exam Speaks Out
- Pamela Armstrong (Albany), Looking Beyond the Trends: Who’s Our Curriculum Really For?
Friday, September 16, 2016
- ABA Journal, Committee OKs proposal to tighten ABA bar pass standards; some members hope more will be done
- Above the Law, The Best Law Schools for a Career in M & A
- Above the Law, The Most Valuable Lesson of the Florida Dean Controversy
- Above the Law, Wow! Law School Slashes Tuition by a Whooping 35%
Friday, September 9, 2016
- Above the Law, Law School Celebrates Worst Bar Exam Results In Nearly 10 Years
- Above the Law, Law School Dean Publicly Criticizes Student in Law Review Article over Sexist Remark
- Above the Law, What a Law School Curriculum Should Be
- Katherine A. Austin (Texas Tech), Catherine Martin Christopher (Texas Tech), and Darby Dickerson (Texas Tech), Will I Pass the Bar Exam?: Predicting Student Success Using LSAT Scores and Law School Performance
Friday, September 2, 2016
- ABA Journal, ABA Responds To Accreditation Panel's Threat to Suspend its Role (Sept. 2016)
- ABA Journal, What do falling bar-passage rates mean for legal education--and the future of the profession? (Sept. 2016)
- ABA Journal, Program helps profs teach students how they can be the lawyers they want to be (Sept. 2016)
- Douglas Berman (Ohio State), Does marijuana legalization at least partially account for the remarkable recent popularity of Colorado Law?
- Alfred Brophy (Alabama), Epstein on University of North Texas Law School
- Paul Caron (Pepperdine), San Diego Welcomes 192 1Ls, Down 26% From Last Year's 261 (42% From 2010's 330)
Friday, August 19, 2016
- ABA Journal, Arizona Summit Law School seeks university affiliation, requires mock bar exam passage
- ABA Journal, Suit over Widener law school's job statistics can't be brought as a class action, 3rd Circuit rules
- Above the Law, American Bar Association Thinks Crappy Law School Is Crappy
- Above the Law, Failing, For-Profit Law School Announces Plans To Affiliate With ‘Major University’
- Shima Baradaran Baughman (Utah), What Should Students Call Professors?
- Paul Caron (Pepperdine), Arizona State Law School Opens New $129 Million Building Today in Downtown Phoenix
Friday, August 12, 2016
- ABA, Bar Passage Proposal Underscores Tension between Consumer Protection and Diversity Concerns
- Above the Law, Accreditation Woes For Dallas’s First Public Law School
- Above the Law, The Law Schools with the Most Part-Time Applicants
- Above the Law, Why Do CLEs Suck So Badly?
Friday, August 5, 2016
Note from Paul Caron: As I explained on Monday, due to my growing other commitments, I have taken steps to reduce the amount of time I devote to TaxProf Blog. Two weeks ago, I stopped doing the weekly tax, legal education, SSRN, and student tax note roundups. Scott Fruehwald of our sister Legal Skills Prof Blog has graciously agreed to take over the weekly legal education roundup. If you would like to take over the weekly SSRN or tax roundups as a service to the tax community, please let me know.
- Above the Law, The ABA is Doing 'Absolutely Nothing' About Low-Performing Law Schools
- Above the Law, The Best Law Schools in America's Cheapest Cities
- Above the Law, More Disturbing Details About the Dan Markel Murder Case
- Above the Law, Why Tim Kaine became disillusioned with Harvard Law School
Friday, July 15, 2016
- Above the Law, Cheating Law Student Pissed Essay They Bought Isn’t Up To Snuff
- Above the Law, Congrats, You Got Into Yale Law School! Oh Wait….
- Above the Law, A Law Firm Should Hire Apprentices, Not Interns
- Above the Law, Law School And Legal Job Prospects In 2016
Friday, July 8, 2016
- ABA Journal Question of the Week, Should Law Schools Accept the GRE as Well as the LSAT?
- Albany Law School, Professor Cords Travels to Beijing as Visiting Scholar
- Justin Evans & Anthony Gabel (Fort Hays State University), Preparing Legal entrepreneurs as Global Strategists: The Case for Entrepreneurial Legal Education, 32 Ariz. J. Int'l & Comp. L. 727 (2015)
- Courtney Hanny (University of Rochester), Imagining New Social Legal Futures: A Sociolinguistic Analysis of Pre-Law Students' Experiences With Discourse Communities of Legal Practice, 29 Int'l J. for Semiotics L. 87 (2016)
Friday, July 1, 2016
- Above the Law, Just How Much Law Student Debt Do We Really Want To Forgive?
- Above the Law, Midlaw Does Not (Usually) Hire Newbie Lawyers
- Jeff Harrison (Florida), Using Students
- Houston Culture Map, See You in Court! Houston College of Law Replies to UH About Name Change Lawsuit
Friday, June 24, 2016
- ABA Journal, Tech Companies Hire Law Students for Internships
- Above the Law, Are Lawyers Overpaid?
- Above the Law, Beyond Biglaw: On The Stigma Of Living ‘At Home’
- Above the Law, How Will Legal Technology Impact The Move To $180K?
Friday, June 17, 2016
- Above the Law, Fast Times At Fake Law School
- Above the Law, A Harvard Law Grad Loses More Than $100 Million
- Above the Law, Joy In The Legal Profession — Not An Oxymoron
- Arkansas Business, UA Law School Dean Stacy Leeds on What's Leading Law Students Into Business & Industy Roles
Friday, June 10, 2016
- ABA Journal, First-Year Associate Pay Will be $180K at Multiple BigLaw Firms Following Cravath's Lead
- ABA Journal, Law Firms Discourage Lateral Departures with Bonus Clawbacks and Other Financial Penalties
- Above the Law, That $180K Payday Is Spreading On The West Coast
- Above the Law, What Firms Miss The ‘MoneyLaw’ Cut?
Friday, June 3, 2016
- ABA Journal, Howard Law Grads Get Major Law Firm Attention
- Above the Law, Black Lives Matter Protest At Cornell Law School Graduation
- Above the Law, Legally Blonde Cosplay At Vanderbilt Law School Graduation Ceremony
- Above the Law, Rankings Aren’t Just for Law Schools: Tier 1 Employees
Friday, May 27, 2016
- Above the Law, Battle Over Service Dog At Law School Graduation
- Above the Law, Five Tips For Improving Diversity In The Legal World
- Above the Law, Georgetown LLMs Bent Out Of Shape Over Graduation
- Above the Law, Rankings Aren’t Just for Law School: Tier 3 / ‘Cooley’ Employees
Friday, May 20, 2016
- Above the Law, The 20 Law Schools With The Most Unemployed Graduates
- Above the Law, alt.legal: The Forecast For Legal Analytics Is Mostly Sunny
- Above the Law, Everything That’s Wrong With Legal Education — According To Law School Deans
- Above the Law, Law Firms Have Best Quarter In 8 Years
Friday, May 13, 2016
- ABA Journal, In a First, a BigLaw Firm Announces It Will Use Artificial Intelligence in One Of Its Practice Areas (Bankruptcy)
- Above the Law, 25 Things All Young Lawyers Should Know In Order To Not Screw Up Their Legal Careers
- Above the Law, ABA President Wants Every Lawyer To Take One Simple Test
- Above the Law, Does the LSAT Have a Liberal Bias?
Friday, May 6, 2016
- Above the Law, Ask The Professor: The #1 Reason Why You Failed The Bar Exam
- Above the Law, Law School Announces Mumps Outbreak
- Above the Law, One Thing Can Improve All Your Law School Grades
- Vik Amar (Dean, Illinois), 4 Tips For Law Students For Final Exams
Friday, April 29, 2016
- Above the Law, Are Average Student Loan Debt Figures Misleading?
- Above the Law, Are Law Schools Just Liberal Indoctrination Factories?
- Above the Law, New York’s February Bar Exam Results Reveal Worst Pass Rates In More Than A Decade
- Eric Adams (Alberta), The Dean Who Went to Law School: Crossing Borders and Searching for Purpose in North American Legal Education, 1930-1950
Friday, April 22, 2016
- ABA Journal, Women Lawyers at Wall Street Firms Rarely Promoted to Partner
- Above the Law, Harvard Law Student Is Rude, Insufferable And Anti-Semitic
- Above the Law, What Lawyers Can Learn From Google’s Quest To Build The Perfect Team
- BusinessDen, Denver's New Law School Dean Wants to Prepare Grads for Cost-Conscious Employers
Friday, April 15, 2016
- Above the Law, The Pink Ghetto: Law School Is A Breeding Ground For Sexism
- Above the Law, Why Are Bar Exam Retakers Failing At Such A High Rate?
- Arkansas Online, Professor's Lawsuit Against UALR Law School Stays; Plaintiff Wants Data on Law Students
- Boston Globe, Harvard Law Students Say They Found Recording Device Hidden Under Table
Friday, April 8, 2016
- Above the Law, 2016 Law School Graduation Speaker Roundup
- Above the Law, Is This Law School Making 3L Year A Joke?
- Above the Law, LSAT Scores v. Bar Exam Performance: How Did Your Law School Do?
- Arkansas Online, UALR Law School on Shaky Legal Ground in Denial of Admissions Data, Filing Argues
Friday, April 1, 2016
- ABA Journal, File Form W-K9 For Pet Tax? A 0% Acceptance Rate at Stanford? TaxProf Blog Has April 1 Roundup
- ABA Journal, Law Student Convicted for Stealing Laptop Is Accused of Altering the Verdict Slip
- ABA Journal, Once an Opening Act for Kid Rock, Law Student Looks Forward to New Career
- ABA Journal, Law Schools in Rust Belt Are in a 'Survival of the Fittest' Mode, Law Prof Asserts
Friday, March 18, 2016
- ABA Journal, Full-Time Female Lawyers Earn 77 Percent of Male Lawyer Pay
- Above the Law, LSU Law School Offers Students An Amazing Opportunity — To Bag Groceries
- Above the Law, March Madness: Best Law School Scandal
- Above the Law, Wake Forest Law School Lets Prospective Applicants Know They’re Nothing More Than An LSAT Score
Friday, March 11, 2016
- American Lawyer, Jobs Report Shows Continued Legal Industry Declines
- David Barnhizer (Cleveland State), Competitive Data Trends for Great Lakes and Midwest Law Schools 2012-2015
- Champaign–Urbana News-Gazette, University of Illinois Law School: No Speaking Fees for Recent Guests
- Harvard Crimson, Law School Activists to Continue Occupation
Friday, March 4, 2016
- Above the Law, Back In The Race: Why The U.S. News Law School Rankings Will Never Change
- Above the Law, Florida Bar Tries To Teach People How To Do ‘Adulting’
- Above the Law, Law School Offers Buyouts To Tenured Faculty Thanks To Sharp Decline In Enrollment
- Above the Law, Open Letter To Black Emory Law Students: It Doesn’t Get Better
Friday, February 26, 2016
- ABA Journal, Question of the Week: Do You Think There Should be an LSAT Cutoff Score for Law School Admission?
- ABA Journal, Minority Women Are Disappearing From BigLaw -- And Here's Why
- ABA Journal, This Law School Will Accept the GRE From Applicants; Will Others Follow?
- Above the Law, Today’s Tech: How A Law Professor Uses YouTube In His Classroom
Friday, February 19, 2016
- ABA Journal, Northwestern to Offer More Financial Aid to Law School Students and Alumni
- Above the Law, Controversy At Harvard Law Over The Bluebook?
- Above the Law, Income-Based Law School Debt Repayment Will Eventually Ruin You Financially
Friday, February 12, 2016
- ABA Journal, ABA House Approves Model Regulatory Objectives for Nontraditional Legal Services
- Above the Law, Is This Cheating On The Bar Exam?
- Above the Law, The Murky Economics Of Law School Facilities: Who Does This Law School Owe?
Friday, February 5, 2016
- ABA Journal, Can Once-Obscure 'Borrower Defense' Help Law Grads Erase Student Debt?
- Above the Law, Law School Cancels Barrister’s Ball Because Of Donald Trump
- Above the Law, Law Schools Are Not Exposing Students To Real World Business Development
Friday, January 29, 2016
- ABA Journal, Job-Offer Rate for Summer Associates Is at a 10-Year High
- ABA Journal, Latham Associates Refinance $13M in Student Debt, Thanks to Firm's Efforts
- ABA Journal, LSAT Profiles of Current Law Students Signal More Troubles Ahead; Has Low Point Been Reached?
- ABA Journal, Texas Tech Adopts SMART Brain Training For Its 1Ls
Friday, January 22, 2016
- Above the Law, As Bad As Legal Education Is, It Could Be Worse
- Above the Law, The Tetzlaff Aftermath: Discharging Student Loans In Bankruptcy Might Be Easier Than We Thought
- Ronald Collins (University of Washington), Tenured LSU Prof. Sues — University Claims Her Profanity Constituted Sexual Harassment
Friday, January 15, 2016
- ABA Journal, Former Cardozo Clinical Law Prof Is Disbarred After Apparently Ignoring Ethics Probe
- ABA Journal, Would-Be Lawyer Won't Have $260K in Student Loans Erased; SCOTUS Refuses to Hear Appeal
- Above the Law, Woman Who Will Have $210,000 In Student Loans Had No Idea Her Law School Was Being Sued Over Employment Statistics
- Bloomberg BNA, This Is What the Dean of Harvard Law School Thinks About AI
Friday, January 8, 2016
- ABA Journal, Most Lawyers Are Introverted, and That's Not Necessarily a Bad Thing
- ABA Journal, 'Revenant' Author Wrote the Book as a Mayer Brown Partner
- ABA Journal, Want to Attend a Law School With Better Job and Bar-Exam Outcomes? It Will Cost You
Saturday, January 2, 2016
- Above the Law, How The Grinch Lost The LSAT Exams: A Crappy Christmas Caper
- Above the Law, Surprise! Lawyers Are Problem Drinkers (And Worse)
- Above the Law, Whittier Law Student Tragically Shot To Death During Winter Break
Saturday, December 26, 2015
- Christine Brown (Loyola-New Orleans), Professional Identity Formation: Working Backwards to Move the Profession Forward, 61 Loy. L. Rev. 313 (2015)
- Bernie Burk (North Carolina), Lola Wage-and-Hour Document Review Case Settles; Vexing Questions About What Constitutes “The Practice of Law” Persist
- The College Fix, Harvard Law Dean Puts ‘Microaggressions’ in the Same League as Sexual Assault
Friday, December 18, 2015
- ABA Journal, Where Did You Apply to Law School, and How Did You Decide Where to Go?
- Above the Law, Don’t Waste Your Time Trying To Get Your Law School Debts Discharged In Bankruptcy
- Above the Law, The Pink Ghetto: ‘Female Attorneys Don’t Work Hard’
Friday, December 11, 2015
- ABA Journal, Emory Law Student Charged With Murder in Death of Foster Child
- Above the Law, Without Significant Changes, Diversity In The Legal Profession Will Remain On Life Support
- The Atlantic, Why Are College Presidents Going Corporate?
Friday, December 4, 2015
- ABA Journal, When the Legal Job Market Tanked, a Law Student Changed It
- Above the Law, Minorities In The Legal Profession Have Increased By Less Than One Percent Since 2000
- Above the Law, Women In The Legal Profession Continue To Be Treated Like Crap
Friday, November 20, 2015
- Above the Law, A High-Profile Law School Dean’s Sudden Departure
- Above the Law, How Law Students Are Using Time Between Classes To Change The World
- Above the Law, Law School Reveals How Poorly Graduates With Low GPAs Fared On July 2015 Bar Exam