Friday, August 19, 2016
- ABA Journal, Arizona Summit Law School seeks university affiliation, requires mock bar exam passage
- ABA Journal, Suit over Widener law school's job statistics can't be brought as a class action, 3rd Circuit rules
- Above the Law, American Bar Association Thinks Crappy Law School Is Crappy
- Above the Law, Failing, For-Profit Law School Announces Plans To Affiliate With ‘Major University’
- Shima Baradaran Baughman (Utah), What Should Students Call Professors?
- Paul Caron (Pepperdine), Arizona State Law School Opens New $129 Million Building Today in Downtown Phoenix
Friday, August 12, 2016
- ABA, Bar Passage Proposal Underscores Tension between Consumer Protection and Diversity Concerns
- Above the Law, Accreditation Woes For Dallas’s First Public Law School
- Above the Law, The Law Schools with the Most Part-Time Applicants
- Above the Law, Why Do CLEs Suck So Badly?
Friday, August 5, 2016
Note from Paul Caron: As I explained on Monday, due to my growing other commitments, I have taken steps to reduce the amount of time I devote to TaxProf Blog. Two weeks ago, I stopped doing the weekly tax, legal education, SSRN, and student tax note roundups. Scott Fruehwald of our sister Legal Skills Prof Blog has graciously agreed to take over the weekly legal education roundup. If you would like to take over the weekly SSRN or tax roundups as a service to the tax community, please let me know.
- Above the Law, The ABA is Doing 'Absolutely Nothing' About Low-Performing Law Schools
- Above the Law, The Best Law Schools in America's Cheapest Cities
- Above the Law, More Disturbing Details About the Dan Markel Murder Case
- Above the Law, Why Tim Kaine became disillusioned with Harvard Law School
Friday, July 15, 2016
- Above the Law, Cheating Law Student Pissed Essay They Bought Isn’t Up To Snuff
- Above the Law, Congrats, You Got Into Yale Law School! Oh Wait….
- Above the Law, A Law Firm Should Hire Apprentices, Not Interns
- Above the Law, Law School And Legal Job Prospects In 2016
Friday, July 8, 2016
- ABA Journal Question of the Week, Should Law Schools Accept the GRE as Well as the LSAT?
- Albany Law School, Professor Cords Travels to Beijing as Visiting Scholar
- Justin Evans & Anthony Gabel (Fort Hays State University), Preparing Legal entrepreneurs as Global Strategists: The Case for Entrepreneurial Legal Education, 32 Ariz. J. Int'l & Comp. L. 727 (2015)
- Courtney Hanny (University of Rochester), Imagining New Social Legal Futures: A Sociolinguistic Analysis of Pre-Law Students' Experiences With Discourse Communities of Legal Practice, 29 Int'l J. for Semiotics L. 87 (2016)
Friday, July 1, 2016
- Above the Law, Just How Much Law Student Debt Do We Really Want To Forgive?
- Above the Law, Midlaw Does Not (Usually) Hire Newbie Lawyers
- Jeff Harrison (Florida), Using Students
- Houston Culture Map, See You in Court! Houston College of Law Replies to UH About Name Change Lawsuit
Friday, June 24, 2016
- ABA Journal, Tech Companies Hire Law Students for Internships
- Above the Law, Are Lawyers Overpaid?
- Above the Law, Beyond Biglaw: On The Stigma Of Living ‘At Home’
- Above the Law, How Will Legal Technology Impact The Move To $180K?
Friday, June 17, 2016
- Above the Law, Fast Times At Fake Law School
- Above the Law, A Harvard Law Grad Loses More Than $100 Million
- Above the Law, Joy In The Legal Profession — Not An Oxymoron
- Arkansas Business, UA Law School Dean Stacy Leeds on What's Leading Law Students Into Business & Industy Roles
Friday, June 10, 2016
- ABA Journal, First-Year Associate Pay Will be $180K at Multiple BigLaw Firms Following Cravath's Lead
- ABA Journal, Law Firms Discourage Lateral Departures with Bonus Clawbacks and Other Financial Penalties
- Above the Law, That $180K Payday Is Spreading On The West Coast
- Above the Law, What Firms Miss The ‘MoneyLaw’ Cut?
Friday, June 3, 2016
- ABA Journal, Howard Law Grads Get Major Law Firm Attention
- Above the Law, Black Lives Matter Protest At Cornell Law School Graduation
- Above the Law, Legally Blonde Cosplay At Vanderbilt Law School Graduation Ceremony
- Above the Law, Rankings Aren’t Just for Law Schools: Tier 1 Employees
Friday, May 27, 2016
- Above the Law, Battle Over Service Dog At Law School Graduation
- Above the Law, Five Tips For Improving Diversity In The Legal World
- Above the Law, Georgetown LLMs Bent Out Of Shape Over Graduation
- Above the Law, Rankings Aren’t Just for Law School: Tier 3 / ‘Cooley’ Employees
Friday, May 20, 2016
- Above the Law, The 20 Law Schools With The Most Unemployed Graduates
- Above the Law, alt.legal: The Forecast For Legal Analytics Is Mostly Sunny
- Above the Law, Everything That’s Wrong With Legal Education — According To Law School Deans
- Above the Law, Law Firms Have Best Quarter In 8 Years
Friday, May 13, 2016
- ABA Journal, In a First, a BigLaw Firm Announces It Will Use Artificial Intelligence in One Of Its Practice Areas (Bankruptcy)
- Above the Law, 25 Things All Young Lawyers Should Know In Order To Not Screw Up Their Legal Careers
- Above the Law, ABA President Wants Every Lawyer To Take One Simple Test
- Above the Law, Does the LSAT Have a Liberal Bias?
Friday, May 6, 2016
- Above the Law, Ask The Professor: The #1 Reason Why You Failed The Bar Exam
- Above the Law, Law School Announces Mumps Outbreak
- Above the Law, One Thing Can Improve All Your Law School Grades
- Vik Amar (Dean, Illinois), 4 Tips For Law Students For Final Exams
Friday, April 29, 2016
- Above the Law, Are Average Student Loan Debt Figures Misleading?
- Above the Law, Are Law Schools Just Liberal Indoctrination Factories?
- Above the Law, New York’s February Bar Exam Results Reveal Worst Pass Rates In More Than A Decade
- Eric Adams (Alberta), The Dean Who Went to Law School: Crossing Borders and Searching for Purpose in North American Legal Education, 1930-1950
Friday, April 22, 2016
- ABA Journal, Women Lawyers at Wall Street Firms Rarely Promoted to Partner
- Above the Law, Harvard Law Student Is Rude, Insufferable And Anti-Semitic
- Above the Law, What Lawyers Can Learn From Google’s Quest To Build The Perfect Team
- BusinessDen, Denver's New Law School Dean Wants to Prepare Grads for Cost-Conscious Employers
Friday, April 15, 2016
- Above the Law, The Pink Ghetto: Law School Is A Breeding Ground For Sexism
- Above the Law, Why Are Bar Exam Retakers Failing At Such A High Rate?
- Arkansas Online, Professor's Lawsuit Against UALR Law School Stays; Plaintiff Wants Data on Law Students
- Boston Globe, Harvard Law Students Say They Found Recording Device Hidden Under Table
Friday, April 8, 2016
- Above the Law, 2016 Law School Graduation Speaker Roundup
- Above the Law, Is This Law School Making 3L Year A Joke?
- Above the Law, LSAT Scores v. Bar Exam Performance: How Did Your Law School Do?
- Arkansas Online, UALR Law School on Shaky Legal Ground in Denial of Admissions Data, Filing Argues
Friday, April 1, 2016
- ABA Journal, File Form W-K9 For Pet Tax? A 0% Acceptance Rate at Stanford? TaxProf Blog Has April 1 Roundup
- ABA Journal, Law Student Convicted for Stealing Laptop Is Accused of Altering the Verdict Slip
- ABA Journal, Once an Opening Act for Kid Rock, Law Student Looks Forward to New Career
- ABA Journal, Law Schools in Rust Belt Are in a 'Survival of the Fittest' Mode, Law Prof Asserts
Friday, March 18, 2016
- ABA Journal, Full-Time Female Lawyers Earn 77 Percent of Male Lawyer Pay
- Above the Law, LSU Law School Offers Students An Amazing Opportunity — To Bag Groceries
- Above the Law, March Madness: Best Law School Scandal
- Above the Law, Wake Forest Law School Lets Prospective Applicants Know They’re Nothing More Than An LSAT Score
Friday, March 11, 2016
- American Lawyer, Jobs Report Shows Continued Legal Industry Declines
- David Barnhizer (Cleveland State), Competitive Data Trends for Great Lakes and Midwest Law Schools 2012-2015
- Champaign–Urbana News-Gazette, University of Illinois Law School: No Speaking Fees for Recent Guests
- Harvard Crimson, Law School Activists to Continue Occupation
Friday, March 4, 2016
- Above the Law, Back In The Race: Why The U.S. News Law School Rankings Will Never Change
- Above the Law, Florida Bar Tries To Teach People How To Do ‘Adulting’
- Above the Law, Law School Offers Buyouts To Tenured Faculty Thanks To Sharp Decline In Enrollment
- Above the Law, Open Letter To Black Emory Law Students: It Doesn’t Get Better
Friday, February 26, 2016
- ABA Journal, Question of the Week: Do You Think There Should be an LSAT Cutoff Score for Law School Admission?
- ABA Journal, Minority Women Are Disappearing From BigLaw -- And Here's Why
- ABA Journal, This Law School Will Accept the GRE From Applicants; Will Others Follow?
- Above the Law, Today’s Tech: How A Law Professor Uses YouTube In His Classroom
Friday, February 19, 2016
- ABA Journal, Northwestern to Offer More Financial Aid to Law School Students and Alumni
- Above the Law, Controversy At Harvard Law Over The Bluebook?
- Above the Law, Income-Based Law School Debt Repayment Will Eventually Ruin You Financially
Friday, February 12, 2016
- ABA Journal, ABA House Approves Model Regulatory Objectives for Nontraditional Legal Services
- Above the Law, Is This Cheating On The Bar Exam?
- Above the Law, The Murky Economics Of Law School Facilities: Who Does This Law School Owe?
Friday, February 5, 2016
- ABA Journal, Can Once-Obscure 'Borrower Defense' Help Law Grads Erase Student Debt?
- Above the Law, Law School Cancels Barrister’s Ball Because Of Donald Trump
- Above the Law, Law Schools Are Not Exposing Students To Real World Business Development
Friday, January 29, 2016
- ABA Journal, Job-Offer Rate for Summer Associates Is at a 10-Year High
- ABA Journal, Latham Associates Refinance $13M in Student Debt, Thanks to Firm's Efforts
- ABA Journal, LSAT Profiles of Current Law Students Signal More Troubles Ahead; Has Low Point Been Reached?
- ABA Journal, Texas Tech Adopts SMART Brain Training For Its 1Ls
Friday, January 22, 2016
- Above the Law, As Bad As Legal Education Is, It Could Be Worse
- Above the Law, The Tetzlaff Aftermath: Discharging Student Loans In Bankruptcy Might Be Easier Than We Thought
- Ronald Collins (University of Washington), Tenured LSU Prof. Sues — University Claims Her Profanity Constituted Sexual Harassment
Friday, January 15, 2016
- ABA Journal, Former Cardozo Clinical Law Prof Is Disbarred After Apparently Ignoring Ethics Probe
- ABA Journal, Would-Be Lawyer Won't Have $260K in Student Loans Erased; SCOTUS Refuses to Hear Appeal
- Above the Law, Woman Who Will Have $210,000 In Student Loans Had No Idea Her Law School Was Being Sued Over Employment Statistics
- Bloomberg BNA, This Is What the Dean of Harvard Law School Thinks About AI
Friday, January 8, 2016
- ABA Journal, Most Lawyers Are Introverted, and That's Not Necessarily a Bad Thing
- ABA Journal, 'Revenant' Author Wrote the Book as a Mayer Brown Partner
- ABA Journal, Want to Attend a Law School With Better Job and Bar-Exam Outcomes? It Will Cost You
Saturday, January 2, 2016
- Above the Law, How The Grinch Lost The LSAT Exams: A Crappy Christmas Caper
- Above the Law, Surprise! Lawyers Are Problem Drinkers (And Worse)
- Above the Law, Whittier Law Student Tragically Shot To Death During Winter Break
Saturday, December 26, 2015
- Christine Brown (Loyola-New Orleans), Professional Identity Formation: Working Backwards to Move the Profession Forward, 61 Loy. L. Rev. 313 (2015)
- Bernie Burk (North Carolina), Lola Wage-and-Hour Document Review Case Settles; Vexing Questions About What Constitutes “The Practice of Law” Persist
- The College Fix, Harvard Law Dean Puts ‘Microaggressions’ in the Same League as Sexual Assault
Friday, December 18, 2015
- ABA Journal, Where Did You Apply to Law School, and How Did You Decide Where to Go?
- Above the Law, Don’t Waste Your Time Trying To Get Your Law School Debts Discharged In Bankruptcy
- Above the Law, The Pink Ghetto: ‘Female Attorneys Don’t Work Hard’
Friday, December 11, 2015
- ABA Journal, Emory Law Student Charged With Murder in Death of Foster Child
- Above the Law, Without Significant Changes, Diversity In The Legal Profession Will Remain On Life Support
- The Atlantic, Why Are College Presidents Going Corporate?
Friday, December 4, 2015
- ABA Journal, When the Legal Job Market Tanked, a Law Student Changed It
- Above the Law, Minorities In The Legal Profession Have Increased By Less Than One Percent Since 2000
- Above the Law, Women In The Legal Profession Continue To Be Treated Like Crap
Friday, November 20, 2015
- Above the Law, A High-Profile Law School Dean’s Sudden Departure
- Above the Law, How Law Students Are Using Time Between Classes To Change The World
- Above the Law, Law School Reveals How Poorly Graduates With Low GPAs Fared On July 2015 Bar Exam
Friday, November 13, 2015
- ABA Journal, Are Law Students Driven by Money? It's Not Most Important, Survey Finds
- Above the Law, The Customer Is Always A Sucker: Law School Economics
- Bloomberg BNA, One Law School’s Effort to Resolve Access to Justice
Friday, November 6, 2015
- ABA Journal, Are Law Student Loans in Danger of Default? Not According to Past History, Law Prof Says
- ABA Journal, Jones Day Hires 10 US Supreme Court Clerks, 'A Stunningly Large Number,' Law Prof Says
- ABA Journal, These Law Students Combine Technology With Fee-Generating Cases
Friday, October 30, 2015
Friday, October 23, 2015
- Above the Law, Dersh Deposed: Alan Dershowitz Accuses Former Federal Judge [And Utah Law Prof] Of Billion-Dollar Extortion Scheme
- Above the Law, Despite All Efforts, Law School Posts Worst Bar Exam Performance Ever
- Above the Law, Let The Law School Class Action Lawsuits Proceed: 5 Defenses That Don’t Work
Friday, October 16, 2015
- Above the Law, Ask The Professor: Who’s To Blame For The Falling Bar Exam Pass Rates?
- David Barnhizer (Cleveland State), A Quartet of Essays on Scholarship
- Bloomberg BNA, Law Firm Leaders Don’t Feel Great About Their Profession. And Why Should They?
Friday, October 9, 2015
- David Barnhizer (Cleveland State), The American Law School and Nine Elements of “Thinking Like a Lawyer”
- Matt Bodie (St. Louis), Leaving Prawfs
- Brooklyn Eagle, Global Law Firm Names [Brooklyn Law School Dean] Allard Senior Counsel
Friday, October 2, 2015
Friday, September 25, 2015
- ABA Journal, ‘Prudent Innovation’ at William Mitchell: Extending the Reach of Learning
- ABA Journal, Some Law Professors Blame Student Quality for Continued Drop in Bar Exam Scores
- Above the Law, Best Thing Football Coach Can Say Of Opponent: ‘Great Law School’
Friday, September 18, 2015
- Above the Law, The Absurdity Of Current Law School Scholarship Offerings
- Above the Law, What Law Professors Need To Know About Faculty Meetings
- David Barnhizer (Cleveland State), The Moral Lawyer and the Machiavellian Nature of Law Practice
Friday, September 11, 2015
- Above the Law, Bar Passage Rate Isn’t The Most Important Thing, It’s The Most Basic Thing
- Above the Law, Take A Sabbath
- Bloomberg BNA, Feds Could Change OT Pay Rules for Attorneys
- Bloomberg BNA, The Law Schools That Offer the Biggest Tuition Discounts
Friday, September 4, 2015
- Above the Law, Law School Dean Blames Lazy Students For Terrible Bar Passage Rate
- Above the Law, Using Statistical Caveats To Mislead Students About Law School
- Above the Law, Why Did A Top Law School Chancellor Abruptly Resign?
- American Lawyer, The 2015 Associates Survey: Happier Than Ever
Friday, August 21, 2015
- AALS Section on Clinical Legal Education, Statement of Position Regarding the State Bar of California Task Force on Admissions Regulation Reform (TFARR) Experiential Education Requirement
- ABA Journal, Cooley Law Dean Offers Explanation for Enrollment Decline, Sees Possible Turnaround
- David Barnhizer (Cleveland State), A Trilogy of Essays on Scholarship
- Bloomberg BNA, A 'Big Law' Revolution? Not Likely
Friday, August 14, 2015
- Above the Law, Law School To Issue 50% Tuition Refunds To Grads Who Can’t Find Jobs
- Jeff Baker (Pepperdine), In Critical Praise of California's TFARR Rules
- Rick Bales (Dean. Ohio Northern), Correlations in Transfers-in and Law-School-Funded Employment
- College Fix. Meet the Professor Who Gladly Left UCLA and Hasn't Looked Back
Friday, August 7, 2015
- David Barnhizer (Cleveland State), Having Skills Is Not the Same as Using Skills
- David Barnhizer (Cleveland State), Lawyers as Practitioners of the “Dark Arts”
- Lisa Bliss (Georgia State) et al., Transforming Legal Education as an Imperative in Today's World, in Building on Best Practices: Transforming Legal Education in a Changing World (Lexis 2015)
- Steven Harper (Adjunct Professor, Northwestern), The ABA at Work — Not!