Thursday, December 11, 2014
Forbes: Obama Justice Department Was Involved In IRS Targeting, Lerner Emails Reveal, by Robert W. Wood:
- Headlines & Global News: Lois Lerner Met With DOJ Prosecutors Before 2010 Elections, Bombshell Document Finds Reveal More About IRS Targeting
Wednesday, December 10, 2014
GAO: IRS's 24% Error Rate in Making $14 Billion/Year of Improper EITC Payments Is 2d Worst Among All Federal Programs, Violates Law
The Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration yesterday released Existing Compliance Processes Will Not Reduce the Billions of Dollars in Improper Earned Income Tax Credit and Additional Child Tax Credit Payments (2014-40-093):
New York Times, Billions in Child Tax Credits Were Invalid, U.S. Audit Finds
- CBN News: Lerner Met with DOJ Month Before 2010 Elections
- Town Hall: Judicial Watch Documents: Lois Lerner Met With DOJ Election Crimes Division One Month Before 2010 Midterm Elections
- WND: Bombshell Revelation Blows Lid Off IRS Scandal; Justice Department Caught Huddling With Lerner to Crush Tea-Party Election
Tuesday, December 9, 2014
Monday, December 8, 2014
- The Most Conservative (Virginia) And Most Liberal (Berkeley) Elite Law Schools
- The Over/Under on the Number of Law Schools Closing by 2018: One
- The $100,000 Tax Flow Challenge
- The IRS Scandal, Day 576
- Fall 2015 Law School Applicants Are Down 8.5%
- Last Pepperdine Bible Study of the Year
- Top 5 Tax Paper Downloads
- The IRS Scandal, Day 577
Sunday, December 7, 2014
Saturday, December 6, 2014
Friday, December 5, 2014
- Bloomberg, Anti-Inversion Tax Bill Would Raise 72% More Than Prior Estimate
- Bloomberg, Bare-Minimum Plan to Revive Lapsed Tax Breaks Moves to Senate
- Bloomberg, House Likely to Revive Tax Breaks Through 2014
- Bloomberg, Obama Says Still Chance for Deal With Republicans on Tax Code
- Bloomberg, Ryan Says Tax Revamp Focusing on Businesses Would Mark Progress
- Bloomberg BNA Blog, Identify Theft Pervasive, Overwhelms IRS
- Bloomberg BNA Blog, Using IRA Funds for Personal Loans -- How Bad Timing Affects a Good Cause
- Bloomberg BNA Blog, When Your Return Preparer Betrays You
- Yuri Andrienko (Sydney), Patricia Apps (Sydney), & Ray Rees (Universität München), Gender Bias in Tax Systems Based on Household Income
- Yuri Andrienko (Sydney), Patricia Apps (Sydney), & Ray Rees (Universität München), Optimal Taxation, Inequality and Top Incomes
- Vivienne Bath (Sydney), Business Ethics, Corporate Social Responsibility and Taxation – Chinese Policy and Practice, 3 J. Chinese Tax & Pol'y 59 (2013)
- Alexander Demin, Tax Law Principles: Concept and Forms of Legal Fixing in Tax Law Sources
- Michael Devereux (Oxford) & John Vella (Oxford), Are We Heading Towards a Corporate Tax System Fit for the 21st Century?
- David Libonn (J.D. 2014, Washington U.), Note, From Cautionary Example to "City on a Hill": Revitalizing Saint Louis May Require an Innovative Regional Taxation Model, 91 Wash. U. L. Rev. 1035 (2014)
- Ariel Stevenson (J.D. 2014, Yale), Note, Improving the U.S. Guest Worker System Through Tax and Social Welfare Reform, 17 Harv. Latino L. Rev. 147 (2014)
- American Thinker: White House Illegally Received Private Citizen Tax Data From the IRS
- Brietbart: Obama Administration Decides Not to Hand Over Documents on IRS Abuse
- Canada Free Press: Uncovering Obama's Enemies List
- Daily Caller: Tea Party Group: White House Hiding Truth By Refusing To Release IRS Documents
- Fox News: Greta: New IRS Scandal Isn't Phony, Everyday Americans Terrorized
- Greta Wire, There's a New IRS Scandal Brewing ... And It's Disgraceful
- IJR Review: Ironic Reason IRS Won’t Reveal Docs Shared with White House Would Be Funny If It Wasn’t Infuriating
- Legal Insurrection: Who's Up For Another IRS Scandal?
Thursday, December 4, 2014
- Bloomberg, Osborne Takes Aim at Multinationals Moving Profits Out of U.K.
- Daily Mail, Britain Imposes 'Google Tax' to Make Tech Titans Pay Dues: Multinationals Including Facebook and Google Face 25% Levy on UK Profits
- Financial Times, UK Plans to Raise £1bn With ‘Google Tax’
- New York Times, British Chancellor Proposes a 'Google Tax'
- New York Times, British Government Proposes a ‘Google Tax’
- Slate, Britain’s Chancellor Just Announced a “Google Tax.” Here’s What That Means.
- Time, U.K. to Levy ‘Google Tax’ in Move to Squeeze Tech Giants
- Wall Street Journal, Britain and the 'Google Tax'
- Wall Street Journal, U.K. Plans New Taxes on Banks, Multinationals
The due date for research proposal application is December 15, 2014.
Washington Free Beacon: Treasury IG Blocking Release of Records on Leaks of Taxpayer Info to White House:
- Canada Free Press: IRS Documents Connecting White House to Scandal Denied
- Canada Free Press: IRS Refusing to Release Thousands of Docs Related to White House Requests for Taxpayer Info
- Daily Caller: Obama Administration REFUSES To Release Documents About White House Role in IRS Scandal
- Fox News: Watchdog Reveals Thousands of Docs Relating to Disclosure of Taxpayer Data to White House
- Headlines & Global News: White House, IRS Watchdog Refusing To Release Leaked Taxpayer Documents About Obama Administration's Role In IRS Scandal
- Hot Air: IRS Holding “Thousands” of Requests by White House For Tax Documents. Update: Congress Already Knew?
- New American: Inspector General: Can't Release Documents Re: IRS Sharing of Taxpayer Info With WH
- PJ Media: IRS Shared Taxpayer Data With White House
- Washington Examiner: Feds Balk at Releasing Docs Showing IRS Sharing Tax Returns With White House
- Washington Times: Feds Won’t Release IRS Documents Shared With White House
- Western Journalism: These Emails Could Reveal Evidence Of Criminal Activity In The White House That Obama Can’t Escape
Wednesday, December 3, 2014
David Gamage (UC-Berkeley) presents Analyzing the Optimal Choice of Tax Instruments: The Case for Levying (all of) Labor-Income Taxes, Value-Added Taxes, Capital-Income Taxes, and Wealth Taxes, 68 Tax L. Rev. ___ (2014), at Harvard today as part of its Tax Law, Policy and Practice Workshop Series hosted by Daniel Halperin and Stephen Shay:
- Forbes: Restoring Trust In IRS Is A National Imperative, by Peter J. Reilly
- Human Events: Little Conservative Group Gives Up in Nonprofit Status Battle With IRS
- Investor's Business Daily: Will 'Lost' IRS Emails Reveal A Corrupt White House?
- Town Hall: Little Conservative Group Gives Up in Non-profit Status Battle With IRS
- WND: IRS Gave Taxpayer Documents to White House
Tuesday, December 2, 2014
Bloomberg: ‘Unpatriotic Loophole’ Targeted by Obama Costs $2 Billion, by Zachary R. Mider:
Here are the results in the 2014 Tannenwald Tax Writing Competition, sponsored by The Theodore Tannenwald, Jr. Foundation for Excellence in Tax Scholarship and the American College of Tax Counsel:
- First Prize (tie) ($4,500): Alex Levy (NYU), Believing in Life After Loving: IRS Regulation of Tax Preparers (Faculty Sponsor: David Kamin)
- First Prize (tie) ($4,500): Mark C. Westenberger (Washington University), Tax-Exempt Hospitals and the Community Benefit Standard: A Flawed Standard and a Way Forward (Faculty Sponsor: Cheryl Block)
- Honorable Mention: Nika Antonikova (San Diego), Real Taxes in Virtual Economies: What Does the IRS Say (Faculty Sponsor: Brian Galle)
- Honorable Mention: Michael Daly (Georgetown University), Bound and Gagged: Making the Case for Congress Delegating Tax Policy to the Experts (Faculty Sponsor: Tom Field)
For more, see Joseph Bankman (Stanford) & Paul L. Caron (Pepperdine), California Dreamin': Tax Scholarship in a Time of Fiscal Crisis, 48 U.C. Davis L. Rev. 405 (2014)
Backstage, Casting Notice: Love, Sex and the IRS:
The Norris Theatre
Rehearsal and Production Dates & Locations
Rehearsal for Love, Sex and The IRS begins Jan. 5, 2015; runs Jan. 23-Feb. 8, 2015 at the Norris Theatre in Rolling Hills Estate, CA.
Compensation & Union Contract Details
Pays $510/wk. min. Equity Guest Artist Tier 3 Contract.
Select a role below for more information and submission instructions.
Monday, December 1, 2014
Danny Yagan (UC-Berkeley) presents Capital Tax Reform and the Real Economy: The Effects of the 2003 Dividend Tax Cut at UC-Berkeley today as part of the Robert D. Burch Center for Tax Policy and Public Finance Seminar: