Friday, February 16, 2018
- ABA Journal, Does ideology influence editors' law review picks? Study finds a correlation
- Robert Anderson (Pepperdine), Scholarly Residuals for Faculty Compensation
- Adam S. Chilton (Chicago ), Jonathan S. Masur (Chicago), & Kyle Rozema (Chicago), Political Discrimination in the Law Review Selection Process
- E. Scott Fruehwald (Legal Skills Prof Blog), Understanding and Overcoming Cognitive Biases For Lawyers And Law Students: Becoming a Better Lawyer Through Cognitive Science: Chapter One
Friday, February 9, 2018
- ABA Journal, Would an Overhaul of Federal Student-loan Programs Help Bring Down Law School Tuition?
- Paul F. Campos (Colorado), The Extraordinary Rise and Sudden Decline of Law School Tuition: A Case Study of Veblen Effects in Higher Education, 48 Seton Hall L. Rev. 167 (2017)
- Andrea Anne Curcio (Georgia State) & Mary A. Lynch (Albany), Addressing Social Loafing on Faculty Committees, 67 J. Legal Educ. 242 (2017)
- E. Scott Fruehwald (Legal Skills Prof Blog), Understanding and Overcoming Cognitive Biases For Lawyers And Law Students: Becoming a Better Lawyer Through Cognitive Science
Friday, February 2, 2018
- ABA Journal, Cooley Law School wants more ABA accreditation transparency and compliance letter off web
- Harvard Press Release, HLS Students Harness Artificial Intelligence to Revolutionize How Lawyers Draft and Manage Contracts
- Gail L. Heriot (San Diego), Remarks of Gail Heriot, Professor of Law, University of San Diego (for Panel Two): Symposium on Intellectual Diversity; Panel Discussions: ‘Why Intellectual Diversity Matters’ (Panel One) and ‘What Is to Be Done?’ (Panel Two), Annual Meeting of the Association of American Law Schools in San Diego, January 6, 2018
- James Levy (Nova SE), LSAC reports law school applicants are up almost 10% from last year
Friday, January 26, 2018
- ABA Journal, Baylor Law to offer LLM program in litigation management
- ABA Journal, 5 lessons for teaching law and technology
- Margaret Martin Barry, Reflections on Identifying and Mapping Learning Competencies and Outcomes: What Do We Want Law Students to Learn?
- Michael D. Cicchini, Law Review Publishing: Thoughts on Mass Submissions, Expedited Review, and Potential Reform, 16 U.N.H. L. Rev. 147 (2017)
Friday, January 19, 2018
- ABA Journal, Is sweet spot for avoiding academic attrition at law schools a median LSAT of at least 150?
- ABA Journal, Less than half of recent law grads had good jobs waiting for them after graduation, report says
- David Frakt (Faculty Lounge), An Innovative Part-Time Program at Seton Hall
- James Levy (Nova SE), Sixth biennial transactional law and legal skills conference in June - call for proposals
Friday, January 12, 2018
- ABA Journal, North Carolina Central, Arizona Summit Found Out of Compliance With ABA Accreditation Standards
- Carissa Byrne Hessick (North Carolina), Towards a Series of Academic Norms for #Lawprof Twitter
- Inside Higher Ed, Posttenure Benchwarmers
- Howard E. Katz (Cleveland State), What Law School Curriculum Committees Can Learn from Architecture Schools
Friday, January 5, 2018
- ABA Journal, Students at top law schools ask for more mental health supports
- Deborah N. Archer (NYLS), Open to Justice: The Importance of Student Selection Decision in Law School Clinics
- ExtensionEngine Blog, Online Master's Programs at Law Schools: Why Online Learning?
- Robert Kuehn (Associate Dean for Clinical Education, Washington University), Clinical Faculty — Who Are You? Who, Who, Who, Who?
Friday, December 29, 2017
Because the week between Christmas and New Years is typically slow for legal education news, I am going to discuss the best legal education articles from 2017. Several articles in the past year showed the effectiveness of new approaches to legal education. There have also been several excellent articles this year on professional identity development. Finally, measuring outcomes was an important area of research in 2017.
- Louis D. Bilionis (Cincinnati), Bringing Purposefulness to the American Law School's Support of Professional Identity Formation. In February, the Holloran Center at the University of St. Thomas School of Law held a conference entitled The Next Steps of a Professional Formation Social Movement. In his contribution to the conference, Dean Bilionis declared that there needs to be a new mindset on the part of law schools, professors, and other law school professionals to properly help law students develop their professional identities.
- Hillary Burgess (Charlotte, Appalachian), Beyond Learning Objectives: Overview of The Taxonomy of Cognitive Legal Learning Objectives and Outcome Measurements. This is the best article I have seen on learning objectives, assessment objectives, and outcome measurements. Professor Burgess has adopted Bloom's Taxonomy to legal education.
Friday, December 22, 2017
- ABA Journal, How Did Some Law Schools Increase First-time Pass Rates by at Least 10 Points in 2017?
- ABA Journal, Some schools flagged by ABA this year have not raised admissions standards, latest data indicates
- ABA Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar, ABA Standards and Rules of Procedure: Matters for Notice and Comment
- Paul Caron (Dean, Pepperdine), More Section 509 Data: Biggest Enrollment Decreases (Arizona Summit 89%, Valparaiso 87%), Increases (Lincoln Memorial 194%, Mitchell|Hamline 91%
Friday, December 15, 2017
- ABA Journal, These seven law schools may be the most underrated
- Paul Caron (Dean, Pepperdine), Federal Court Chides Western Michigan-Thomas Cooley Law School For Seeking TRO To Block ABA's Release Of Letter On School's Noncompliance With Accreditation Standards
- Eric A. Chiappinelli (Texas Tech), Like Pulling Teeth: How Dental Education's Crisis Shows the Way Forward for Law Schools, 48 Seton Hall L. Rev. 1 (2017)
- preLaw (Fall 2017), Top Law Schools for Tax, Business, Banking and Corporate Law
Friday, December 8, 2017
- Margaret Martin Barry (Vermont), Robert Dinerstein (American), Phyllis Goldfarb (George Washington), Peggy Maisel (FIU) & Linda Morton (Cal Western), Exploring the Meaning of Experiential Deaning
- Paul Caron (Dean, Pepperdine), Fall 2018 Law School Admissions Season Opens With A Bang: Applicants Are Up 14.2%
- Neil W. Hamilton (St. Thomas), The Next Steps of a Formation-of-Student-Professional Identity Social Movement: Building Bridges Among the Three Key Stakeholders – Faculty and Staff, Students, and Legal Employers and Clients
- John Lande (Missouri), Letter to Kelly
Friday, December 1, 2017
- Bryan Camp (Texas Tech), The Socratic Method
- Paul Caron (Dean, Pepperdine), July 2017 New York Bar Exam Results: Pass Rate Rises To 86% (+4%); CUNY, Pace, Syracuse Outperform Their Predictors
- Jennifer M. Cooper (Tulane) & Regan A. R. Gurung (Wisconsin), Smarter Law Study Habits: An Empirical Analysis of Law Learning Strategies and Relationship with Law GPA, 62 St. Louis. L.J. ___ (2018)
- Scott Fruehwald (Legal Skills Prof Blog), Cognitive Biases and Sexual Harassment Training
Friday, November 24, 2017
- ABA Journal, Cooley Law School has it 'exactly backward' and students deserve to know the truth, ABA filing says
- ABA Journal, Increase in LSAT test takers is seen as evidence of 'Trump bump'
- Above the Law, 5 Percent Of Law Schools Now Accept GRE
- Paul Caron (Dean, Pepperdine), July 2017 California Bar Exam Results Rebound From 32-Year Lows
Friday, November 17, 2017
- ABA Journal, ABA places Thomas Jefferson School of Law on probation
- ABA Journal, Texas law school serving at-risk students achieves 59% bar pass rate
- ABA Journal, Valparaiso law school told by board to not admit first-year students in 2018
- ABA Section of Legal Education and Admission to the Bar, Council Decision: Notice of Probation and Specific Remedial Action — Thomas Jefferson School of Law
- Paul L. Caron (Dean, Pepperdine), Pepperdine's Place in the New World of Legal Education
Friday, November 10, 2017
- Paul Caron (Pepperdine), Florida Coastal Responds To ABA's Finding Of Noncompliance With Accreditation Standards: 'Our 1L Entering Credentials Exceed 23 Other Law Schools'
- Paul Caron (Pepperdine), LSAT Test-Takers Continue To Surge, With 10.7% Increase In Sept/Oct Following June's 19.8%
- Paul Caron (Pepperdine), Testy: Good Law School Outcomes Come From Good Inputs
- David Frakt (Faculty Lounge), Should Florida Coastal Be Sanctioned by the ABA?
Friday, November 3, 2017
- Jodi S. Balsam (Brooklyn), Susan L. Brooks (Drexel), & Margaret Reuter (UMKC), Assessing Law Students as Reflective Practitioners
- Paul Caron (Pepperdine), ABA Notices To Law Schools About Potential Non-Compliance With Accreditation Standards
- Paul Caron (Pepperdine), Pepperdine Law Launches Disaster Relief Clinic
- Heeyun Kim, Meghan Oster, Natsumi Ueda & Stephen DesJardins (all Michigan), Predicting Law School Enrollment: The Strategic Use of Financial Aid to Craft a Class
Friday, October 27, 2017
- ABA Journal, New York State Bar exam sees slight pass rate increase for July 2017
- ABA Journal, Sen. Elizabeth Warren: I was sexually harassed as a young law professor
- American Lawyer, At Law Schools, Rowdy Protests Provide Teachable Moments
- Chronicle of Higher Education, Publicize Your Research
Friday, October 20, 2017
- ABA Journal, Cut score for California state bar exam to stay at 1440--for now
- Kaci Bishop (North Carolina), Framing Failure in the Legal Classroom: Techniques for Encouraging Growth and Resilience
- Scott Fruehwald (Legal Skills Prof Blog), Cognitive Biases and Persuasion
- PreLaw, The Most Innovative Law Schools