Sunday, October 18, 2015
I learned this week that Crossroads, our former church in Cincinnati, is now the fastest growing church and the ninth largest church in America. This is a special weekend at Crossroads, as they cast their vision for the future:
Saturday, October 17, 2015
- UC-Berkeley's ‘Critical Mass’ Policy Results In Racial Divisions At Law School
- Tesla Model X Buyers Get $35,000 Tax Break
- NPR: 60% Of Faculty Plan To Work Past Age 70; 100% Of Hofstra Law School Faculty Refuse Offer Of Two Years Salary To Retire
- The Economist: BEPS Plan Is 'Deeply Flawed'
- WSJ: Courts Toss Out Lawsuits By Jobless Law Grads Who Sued Law Schools Over Misleading Placement Data
- Higher Taxes On The Rich Won’t Lower Inequality: This Gini Is Not Going Back In the Bottle
- Villanova Law School Is Still Paying A Steep U.S. News Rankings Price For Cooking Its Admissions Books
- Dell's Use Of Tracking Stock In Acquisition Of EMC Will Save $10 Billion In Taxes
- Job Prospects, Student Debt Loads Continue To Worsen For Ohio Law School Grads
- Hillary Clinton Supporters Endorse 'White Privilege Tax'
Friday, October 16, 2015
Number Of Law Schools Interviewing Faculty Candidates At Meat Market Is Up 10% Over Last Year (But Down 37% From 2012)
- James Altucher (Huffington Post), Me and the IRS, a Bromance
- Kay Bell (Don't Mess With Taxes), Be Like Trump: Pay as Little Tax As Possible
- Daily Mail, Facebook Paid Just £4,327 Corporation Tax Last Year - Less Than a UK Worker on £26,500 Salary Pays
- Above the Law, Ask The Professor: Who’s To Blame For The Falling Bar Exam Pass Rates?
- David Barnhizer (Cleveland State), A Quartet of Essays on Scholarship
- Bloomberg BNA, Law Firm Leaders Don’t Feel Great About Their Profession. And Why Should They?
- Reuven Avi-Yonah (Michigan), Full Circle? The Single Tax Principle, BEPS, and the New US Model
- Keith Fogg (Villanova), The United States Tax Court - A Court for All Parties
- Jeffrey Hoopes (Ohio State), Financial Accounting and Consequences of Temporary Tax Law: Evidence from the R&D Tax Credit
Big Red Is Really Big Blue: 96% Of Cornell Faculty Political Contributions Go To Democrats; Law Profs Give Most (26%) To Republicans
Cornell Daily Sun, Cornell Faculty Donations Flood Left, Filings Show:
The Fifth Annual NYU/UCLA Tax Policy Symposium on Tax and Entrepreneurship takes place beginning at 9:00 a.m. PST today at UCLA (live webcast):
Goals and Design Principles
Eric Allen (USC) & Susan C. Morse (Texas), How Should We Use the Tax System to Encourage Entrepreneurship?
Commentators: Roger H. Gordon (UC-San Diego), Theodore Seto (Loyola-L.A.)
Moderator: Steven Bank (UCLA)
The Dennis J. Block Center for the Study of International Business Law at Brooklyn Law School hosts a symposium next Friday, October 23, on Reconsidering the Tax Treaty:
Panel #1: Allocating Taxing Jurisdiction in a Stateless World
- Mitchell Kane (NYU),
- Michael S. Kirsch (Notre Dame), The Taxation (or Non-Taxation) of Citizens’ Foreign Income: Distilling the Competing Normative Arguments
- Daniel Shaviro (NYU), The Two Faces of the Single Tax Principle
- Moderator: Joshua D. Blank (NYU)
WSJ: Courts Toss Out Lawsuits By Jobless Law Grads Who Sued Law Schools Over Misleading Placement Data
Thursday, October 15, 2015
NY 'Mansion Tax' Spurs Sales Of Condos For $999,000: 'Tax Policies Are Strong Motivators To Modify Human Behavior'
New York Times, This Apartment Is Not $1 Million. It’s Only $999,000.:
New York Times, Solution Without a Problem? A Tax on High-Frequency Trading:
Villanova Law School Is Still Paying A Steep U.S. News Rankings Price For Cooking Its Admissions Books
TIGTA: 1,300 IRS Computers, 50% Of IRS Servers Are Running Outdated Operating Systems, Putting Taxpayer Data At Risk
Jason M. Dolin, Law Schools: The Real Employment Numbers for the Law Class of 2014, Columbus Bar Lawyers Quarterly 12 (Fall 2015):
Wednesday, October 14, 2015
Following up on my previous post, Gale, Kearney & Orszag: Increasing The Top Income Tax Rate Won't Reduce Income Inequality: Washington Post, Higher Taxes on the Rich Actually Wouldn’t Lower Inequality That Much: This Gini Is Not Going Back in the Bottle, by Matt O'Brien:
Wall Street Journal, Dell May Avoid Tax Hit on Deal, but EMC Shareholders Will Pay:
- Tree of Life — A short story of havurah (Jewish prayer group) that has to deal with the death of a member--and a rather difficult one--for the first time.
- Visiting Day — A short story about my first summer at a Jewish camp, when the camp was concerned about Israel's victory in the Six Day War and I was concerned about ... my mother.
Tuesday, October 13, 2015
Alex Rees-Jones (Pennsylvania) presents Loss Aversion Motivates Tax Sheltering: Evidence from U.S. Tax Returns at Columbia today as part of its Davis Polk & Wardwell Tax Policy Colloquium Series hosted by Alex Raskolnikov and Wojciech Kopczuk:
The Daily Californian, Berkeley Law’s ‘Critical Mass’ Policy Results in Racial Divisions:
Monday, October 12, 2015
NPR: 60% Of Faculty Plan To Work Past Age 70; 100% Of Hofstra Law School Faculty Refuse Offer Of Two Years Salary To Retire
Los Angeles Times, Women Faculty Face Bias at UCLA Business School, Study Says:
- This Week's Ten Most Popular TaxProf Blog Posts
- Hillary Clinton Proposes Financial Transactions Tax
- Hillary Clinton Supporters Endorse 'White Privilege Tax'
- The IRS Scandal, Day 884
- NY Times: Computer Scientists Wield Artificial Intelligence To Battle Tax Evasion
- The Top 5 Tax Paper Downloads
- Ed Liva Appointed Director Of Villanova Graduate Tax Program
- The IRS Scandal, Day 885
Sunday, October 11, 2015
There is a bit of movement in this week's list of the Top 5 Recent Tax Paper Downloads, with a paper returning to the list at #5:
- [314 Downloads] An Introduction to Conservation Easements in the United States: A Simple Concept and a Complicated Mosaic of Law, by Federico Cheever (Denver) & Nancy A. McLaughlin (Utah)
- [268 Downloads] 2014 Developments in Connecticut Estate and Probate Law, by Jeffrey A. Cooper (Quinnipiac) & John R. Ivimey (Reid and Riege, Hartford)
- [219 Downloads] The One Hundredth Anniversary of the Federal Estate Tax: It's Time to Renew Our Vows, by Paul L. Caron (Pepperdine)
- [194 Downloads] Breaking BEPS: The New International Tax Diplomacy, by Itai Grinberg (Georgetown)
- [158 Downloads] Are We Trapped By Our Capital Gains?, by Reuven Avi-Yonah (Michigan) & Dima Zelik (Michigan)