Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Diane Ring (Boston College) presents Leak-Driven Law, 65 UCLA L. Rev. __ (forthcoming 2018) (with Shu-Yi Oei (Tulane; moving to Boston College)) at Boston College today as part of its Tax Policy Workshop Series:
Darien Shanske (UC-Davis) presents Equitable Apportionment and the State Corporate Income Tax: Past, Present and Possible Future at Duke today as part of its Tax Policy Workshop Series hosted by Lawrence Zelenak:
Cincinnati Dean Says 'Small Cabal' Of Tenured Faculty Is Seeking Her Ouster Because Of Her Attempt To Balance Law School's Budget
Following up on Monday's post, Cincinnati Law School Dean Under Fire From Faculty: Ouster, Vote Of No Confidence Discussed As Provost Unveils 6-Month Plan To 'Restore Mutual Trust And Respect' And Dean Lawyers Up: Cincinnati Business Courier, UC Law Dean Responds to Call For Her Ouster:
New York Times, Sorry, a Robot Is Not About to Replace Your Lawyer:
Tuesday, March 21, 2017
Following up on my previous posts (links below): National Law Journal, The 'Trump Bump' for Law Schools Is (Kind of) a Thing:
The Best And Worst States For Business: 90% Of The Top 10 Voted For Trump; 80% Of The Bottom 10 Voted For Clinton
The Georgetown O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law hosts a conference today on “Repeal and Replace” the Affordable Care Act: Understanding the House GOP Healthcare Reform Bill:
Panel 1: Taxes and Transfers:
- Lily Batchelder (NYU), Deficit, Distributional, Coverage, & Premium Effects of the AHCA
- John R. Brooks (Georgetown), Tax Credits and Redistribution Under the ACA and the AHCA
- Lilian Faulhaber (Georgetown), Taxes and Transfers Under the ACA
Edward Kleinbard (USC) presented The Economic and Social Consequences of Tax Reform last night at Loyola Marymount University College of Business Administration's Center for Accounting Ethics, Governance, and the Public Interest's Distinguished Speaker Series (flyer):
New York Times: Chief Justice Roberts Considers the Case of Tom Sawyer, by Adam Liptak:
Monday, March 20, 2017
Following up on last week's post, 'Full Citizenship Project For All Law Faculty' Launched To Correct Gender Disparities Among Law Profs:
Legal Skills Prof Blog: The Role of Legal Writing Professors in the Academy: A Reply to Professor Jason Yackee, by Scott Fruehwald:
Cincinnati Law School Dean Under Fire From Faculty: Ouster, Vote Of No Confidence Discussed As Provost Unveils 6-Month Plan To 'Restore Mutual Trust And Respect' And Dean Lawyers Up
Cincinnati Business Courier, University of Cincinnati Law Dean Under Fire From Faculty:
ABA Proposes To Eliminate Requirement That More Than 50% Of Law Teaching Be Performed By Full-Time Faculty
The IRS Scandal, Day 1411: Why Did Donald Trump Fire Sally Yates And Preet Bharara, But Not John Koskinen?
- This Week's Ten Most Popular TaxProf Blog Posts
- The BigLaw Massacre Approaches
- Republicans Keep Repeating the Same Tax Mistake
- University Of Idaho Law School Opens Second Location In Boise. Will It Be The Death Knell For Concordia Law School?
- The IRS Scandal, Day 1409: 'After School Satan Club' Granted Tax-Exempt Status In 10 Days While Conservative Groups Waited Years
- NY Times: Will Dropping The LSAT Requirement Create More Miserable Lawyers?
- University Of Houston Law School Spent $500k In Attorneys' Fees In Trademark Dispute With South Texas Law School; More Fees Are Coming With Houston Astros On Deck
- The Top 5 Tax Paper Downloads
- 25 Catholic Law School Deans Join ABA, 150 Law Firms In Opposing President Trump's Proposed Elimination Of The Legal Services Corp.
- The IRS Scandal, Day 1410: Judicial Watch Forces Disclosure Of New Documents
Sunday, March 19, 2017
Following up on my previous post, Harvard Is Second Law School To Admit 1Ls Based On GRE Rather Than LSAT: New York Times Sunday Review, Will Dropping the LSAT Requirement Create More Miserable Lawyers?:
University Of Houston Law School Spent $500k In Attorneys' Fees In Trademark Dispute With South Texas Law School; More Fees Are Coming With Houston Astros On Deck
Following up on last week's post, Settlement Finalized In University Of Houston And South Texas Houston Law Schools Trademark Dispute; Houston Astros Are On Deck: Houston Chronicle, What's in a Name? $500K in Legal Fees For UH Over Law School Dispute:
- [1,590 Downloads] The Known Unknowns of the Business Tax Reforms Proposed in the House Republican Blueprint, by Michael J. Graetz (Columbia)
- [525 Downloads] How Donald Trump can Keep His Campaign Promises, Grow the Economy, Cut Tax Rates, Repatriate Offshore Earnings, Reduce Income Inequality, Keep Jobs in the United States, and Reduce the Deficit, by David S. Miller (Proskauer, New York)
- [424 Downloads] Accounting for Behavioral Considerations in Business Tax Reform: The Case of Expensing, by Lily L. Batchelder (NYU)
- [346 Downloads] Predicting Stock Market Prices with Physical Laws, by Jack Manhire (Texas A&M)
- [253 Downloads] Important Developments in Federal Income Taxation, by Edward A. Morse (Creighton)
25 Catholic Law School Deans Join ABA, 150 Law Firms In Opposing President Trump's Proposed Elimination Of The Legal Services Corp.
National Law Journal, Legal Services Corp., Under Trump, Faces New Threat to Existence:
Saturday, March 18, 2017
- 2018 U.S. News Law School Peer Reputation Rankings (And Overall Rankings)
- Winners And Losers In The 2018 U.S. News Law School Rankings ... Should It Matter?
- The IRS Scandal, Day 1402: IRS Locates 7,000 Documents Related To Tea Party Targeting
- Law School Rankings By Student Quality (LSAT And UGPA)
- Provost Reassures Students That Rumors Of Louisville Law School's Closing Are False
- The IRS Scandal, Day 1408: Why Won't The Media Cover It?
- Florida Law School Rankings War Intensifies: UF Marches Toward Top 35, FSU Says It Is Best Law School In State And Aims For Top 4 National Public Law School (With Michigan, UC-Berkeley & Virginia)
- 2018 U.S News Law School Rankings: Average Student Debt
- 2018 U.S. News Tax Rankings
- Tax Is A Feminist Issue
University Of Idaho Law School Opens Second Location In Boise. Will It Be The Death Knell For Concordia Law School?
Following up on my previous post, Two New Law Schools Planned in Boise, Idaho: Concordia University and University of Idaho: Press Release, American Bar Association Approves First-Year Law Program in Boise (press coverage):
The IRS Scandal, Day 1409: 'After School Satan Club' Granted Tax-Exempt Status In 10 Days While Conservative Groups Waited Years
Judicial Watch Press Release, IRS Gives “After School Satan Club” Tax-Exempt Status in 10 Days:
- Canada Free Press, ‘After School Satan Club’ Received Fast-Tracked Tax-Exempt Status from IRS
- Christian Times, IRS Rushed Tax-Exempt Status of 'After School Satan Club,' New Documents Reveal
- Newsmax, IRS Grants After School Satan Club Tax-Exempt Status
- Washington Free Beacon, ‘After School Satan Club’ Gets Tax Exempt Status in 10 Days
- WND, Well, Isn't That Special? IRS Bends Over For 'Satan'
Friday, March 17, 2017
This week, Joe Kristan (CPA & Shareholder, Roth & Company (Des Moines, Iowa); Editor, Tax Update Blog) discusses a recent Tax Court case highlighting the difficulty S corporation shareholders face in overcoming the way an item is characterized on a K-1.
- ABA Journal, ABA's Legal Ed Section seeks comments on proposed revision to admissions test standard
- ABA Journal, Northwestern enters top 10 in latest US News law school rankings; Harvard drops to No. 3
- Arizona Republic, Arizona Summit Law School Moves to Affiliate With a Private, Nonprofit University
- Debra S. Austin (Denver), Positive Legal Education: Flourishing Law Students and Thriving Law Schools
- Paul Caron (Pepperdine), Florida Law School Rankings War Intensifies: UF Marches Toward Top 35, FSU Says It Is Best Law School In State And Aims For Top 4 National Public Law School (With Michigan, UC-Berkeley & Virginia)
- Americans for Tax Fairness, Corporate Tax Dodging Outlined in New Report Hurts Jobs and Working Families
- Americans for Tax Fairness, Trump Trying to Eliminate the Biggest Tax He Pays: The Alternative Minimum Tax
- Bloomberg, Merkel to Warn Trump That U.S. Tax Changes May Spark Retaliation
- Bloomberg, Trump’s Counties Lose Out to Clinton’s in GOP Health Tax Cuts
Following up on my posts (links below) on the 2018 U.S. News Law School Rankings: Matt Leichter, Only 13 Law Schools Didn't Report 2016 Graduate Debt to U.S. News:
Here are the 25 law schools with the highest amount of average law school debt (among those students with law school debt).
Thursday, March 16, 2017
Democracy: A Journal of Ideas: Making Tax Evasion Great: The $100 Billion Giveaway, by Robert Gordon & David Kamin (NYU):
Here is the March Madness Law School Bracket, with outcomes determined by the 2018 U.S. News Law School Rankings (using academic peer reputation and student quality as tiebreakers). The Final Four are Michigan (8), Virginia (8), Northwestern (10), and UCLA (15), with Virginia beating Michigan in the championship game, based on student quality.