Wednesday, November 2, 2016
British Columbia's Highest Court Unanimously Approves Canada's First Christian Law School, Says Religious Freedom To Ban Student Sex Outside Of Heterosexual Marriage Trumps LGBTQ Rights
Following up on my previous posts (links below): Toronto Star, B.C. Christian University Wins Legal Victory in Bid to Open Law School:
Tuesday, November 1, 2016
Walker Presents The Practice And Tax Consequences Of Nonqualified Deferred Compensation Today At Columbia
David I. Walker (Boston University) presents The Practice and Tax Consequences of Nonqualified Deferred Compensation at Columbia today as part of its Davis Polk & Wardwell Tax Policy Colloquium Series hosted by Alex Raskolnikov and Wojciech Kopczuk:
The new post-merger Mitchell Hamline School of Law welcomed 338 1Ls this fall, down 14% from the combined totals for the separate Hamline and William Mitchell law schools in 2015 (391) and down 42% from 2010 (584).
RSS Feeds: You can subscribe to one of three different feeds to receive TaxProf Blog posts via your RSS reader:
- All Posts will send you all blog posts
- Tax Posts will send you only tax-related blog posts
- Legal Education will send you only law school-related blog posts
Email: You can subscribe to receive TaxProf Blog posts via email through one of three approaches:
- FeedBlitz: Enter your email address here to receive TaxProf Blog posts via email, delivered to you either daily, every 12 hours, every 8 hours, every 4 hours, or hourly (at your option).
- TaxProf Blog Tax Email Service: Email me to be added to my twice daily (during the week) and once daily (on the weekend) emails to the TaxProf Discussion Group with titles and links to recent TaxProf Blog posts on tax topics.
- TaxProf Blog Legal Education Email Service: Email me to be added to my email distribution list with titles and links to recent TaxProf Blog posts on legal education topics.
TaxProf Blog participates in the amazon.com affiliate program. You can help support TaxProf Blog at no cost to you by making purchases through Amazon links on the blog and through the "Shop Amazon" tab on the header at the top of the blog:
and the search box in the right column of the blog:
Monday, October 31, 2016
Michael Simkovic (Seton Hall) has accepted a lateral offer with tenure from USC. His recent articles include:
- Taxes, Subsidies, and Knowledge: A Reply to Professor Oei, 83 U. Chi. L. Rev. Online 1 (2016)
- The Knowledge Tax, 82 U. Chi. L. Rev. 1981 (2015)
- Populist Outrage, Reckless Empirics: A Review of Failing Law Schools, 108 NW. U. L. Rev. Online 176 (2014)
- The Economic Value of a Law Degree, 43 J. Legal Stud. 249 (2014)
Kate Pickett (University of York) presents Income Inequality and Health: A Casual Review and The Enemy Between Us: The Psychological and Social Costs of Inequality (both with Richard Wilkinson (University of Nottingham)) at the NYU High-End Inequality Colloquium Series (more here) hosted by Robert Frank (Cornell) and Dan Shaviro (NYU):
- This Week's Ten Most Popular TaxProf Blog Posts
- Syracuse Dean (And Tax Prof) Craig Boise: 'The Only Harley-Riding, Piano-Playing, Calf-Roping Law Dean In The Country'
- IRS Demands $5 Billion From Facebook For Tax Strategy Devised By EY, Approved By Facebook's Auditor (EY)
- Chicago Law Profs And The Cubs
- The IRS Scandal, Day 1269: The Dark Art Of Political Intimidation
- Chicago Cubs Unite Jews, Christians And Muslims Who Identify With 108-Year Exile
- Tax Reform For Our Century
- The Top 5 Tax Paper Downloads
- Experts Expect Charlie And Donna Adelson To Be Charged In Dan Markel's Murder
- The IRS Scandal, Day 1270: Why The IRS Matters This Election
Sunday, October 30, 2016
There is quite a bit of movement in this week's list of the Top 5 Recent Tax Paper Downloads, with new papers debuting on the list at #4 and #5. The #1 paper is now #23 in all-time downloads among 12,312 tax papers:
- [3,727 Downloads] Families Facing Tax Increases Under Trump's Latest Tax Plan, by Lily L. Batchelder (NYU)
- [214 Downloads] Taxation and Human Rights: A Delicate Balance, by Reuven Avi-Yonah (Michigan) & Gianluca Mazzoni (S.J.D. 2017, Michigan)
- [207 Downloads] Law and Macroeconomics: The Law and Economics of Recessions, by Yair Listokin (Yale)
- [204 Downloads] The Up-C Revolution, by Gregg D. Polsky (Georgia) & Adam H. Rosenzweig (Washington University)
- [184 Downloads] Aggressive Tax Planning & the Ethical Tax Lawyer, by Heather M. Field (UC-Hastings)
Saturday, October 29, 2016
- The Dan Markel Murder Investigation: Why Was Katherine Magbanua's First Degree Murder Charge Reduced To Second Degree Murder?
- Weapons Of Math Destruction: How U.S. News' 'Craven' Decision To Eschew Affordability In Its Rankings Increases Inequality
- Focus On Reputation/Selectivity Over Earnings/Outcomes Will Render U.S. News Rankings An Anachronism
- Wendi Adelson's Novel: Art Imitating Life?
- Johnson: Were Trump's Fake Losses Legal As Tax Deductions?
- ABA Council Approves 75% Minimum Bar Pass Rate
- Greg Mankiw Happily Paid $2,500 For A Hamilton Ticket, But Asks: Why Should 80% Go To Resellers Rather Than Lin-Manuel Miranda?
- BigLaw Moneyball
- A Boy’s Allowance: Never Safe From The IRS
- Yale Student Newspapers Risk 501(c)(3) Tax-Exempt Status To Endorse Hillary Clinton; 94% Of Yale Profs' Political Donations Go To Democrats, 95% Of Conservative Students Feel Their Opinions Are Unwelcome At Yale
Syracuse Dean (And Tax Prof) Craig Boise: 'The Only Harley-Riding, Piano-Playing, Calf-Roping Law Dean In The Country'
IRS Demands $5 Billion From Facebook For Tax Strategy Devised By EY, Approved By Facebook's Auditor (EY)
Friday, October 28, 2016
This week, Daniel Hemel (University of Chicago) reviews a new article by Stephen Shay (Harvard), J. Clifton Fleming (BYU), and Robert Peroni (Texas), R&D Tax Incentives: Growth Panacea or Budget Trojan Horse?, 69 Tax Law Review 419 (2016).
- ABA Journal, Law school agrees to second name change after losing injunction fight in trademark suit
- Above the Law, New York Bar Exam Results Reveal Higher Passage Rates Thanks To The UBE
- Above the Law, Yikes! New Jersey Bar Exam Results Reveal The Worst Passage Rates In A Decade
- Bill Adams (Deputy Managing Director, Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar), Employment Data Review Update (August 5, 2016)
- Rick Bales (Former Dean, Ohio Northern), TaxProf Blog op-ed: Succession Planning in Law Schools
- Yariv Brauner (Florida) & Pasquale Pistone (International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation), The Trans-Atlantic Tax Forum (TFF): The European Union and the United States — The Good Old Tax “Frenemies”?
- Catherine Brown (Calgary), Taxation and the Cross Border Trade in Services: Rethinking Non-Discrimination Obligations
- Bret Wells (Houston), International Tax Reform By Means of Corporate Integration, 19 Fla. Tax Rev. ___ (2016)
NYU hosts a Global Tax Conference today on Divergent Country Views of Base Erosion and Profit Shifting:
Panel #1: European Commission State Aid Cases
- Dan Shaviro (NYU) (moderator)
- Itai Grinberg (Georgetown)
- Hein Vermeulen (University of Amsterdam)
- Dennis Webber (University of Amsterdam)
Law School Formerly Known As South Texas Agrees To Change Name From Houston College Of Law, Subject To Approval Of University Of Houston
Following up on my previous posts (links below): Houston Chronicle, Law School in Trademark Fight Will Change its Name Again:
The 42nd Annual Notre Dame Tax and Estate Planning Institute concludes today. Tax Profs with speaking roles include:
- Mitchell Gans (Hofstra), The Most Important Estate and Income Tax Decision No One Knows: The Impact of the 1958 Supreme Court Decision in Fidelity-Philadelphia Trust Co. v. Smith on Installment Sales and Private Annuities
- David Herzig (Valparaiso), The Intersection of Business Transactions and Estate Planning: What Every Estate Planner Needs to Know About Business Law in the Context of Tax Planning
The IRS Scandal, Day 1268: Sen. Whitehouse — Republicans Are Using Koskinen Impeachment To Bring IRS To Heel On Dark Money Campaign Financing
Thursday, October 27, 2016
Yale Student Newspapers Risk 501(c)(3) Tax-Exempt Status To Endorse Hillary Clinton; 94% Of Yale Profs' Political Donations Go To Democrats, 95% Of Conservative Students Feel Their Opinions Are Unwelcome At Yale
Yale Daily News, News’ View: Hillary Clinton Law ’73 for President:
Independent Journal Review, Non-Profit Yale Record Magazine Taunts IRS With Editorial 'Not Endorsing' Hillary Clinton:
Sales Factor Apportionment Would Eliminate Global Profit-Shifting, Inversions, And Favoring Multinational Over U.S. Companies (And Should Unite Democrats And Republicans)
Following up on my previous post, What Wendi Adelson's Novel Reveals About Dan Markel's Murder: Above the Law, The Dan Markel Case: Insights From Wendi Adelson’s Novel:
Wednesday, October 26, 2016
Richard T. Ainsworth (Boston University) presents Blockchain Technology Might Solve VAT Fraud, 83 Tax Notes Int'l 1165 (Sept. 26, 2016) (with Andrew B. Shact (Mimecast, Boston)), at Pennsylvania today as part of its Tax Policy Workshop Series hosted by Chris Sanchirico and Reed Shuldiner: