Saturday, August 19, 2017
The IRS Scandal, Day 1563: Judge Orders IRS To Disclose Names Of Employees Who Targeted Conservative Groups And To Prove That It Has Stopped The Practice
Thursday, August 17, 2017
Wednesday, August 16, 2017
Tuesday, August 15, 2017
Sunday, August 13, 2017
Thursday, August 10, 2017
The IRS Scandal, Day 1554: Why Is Trump's Justice Department Still Fighting Disclosure Of Documents Revealing IRS Targeting Of Conservative Groups?
Wednesday, August 9, 2017
Tuesday, August 8, 2017
GAO: IRS Provides Only 'Minimal Oversight' Of Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program, Refuses To Collect Data That Would Allow It To Impose 'Basic Accountability'
The IRS Scandal, Day 1552: The IRS's Email Retention Policies Still Do Not Ensure That Emails Are Retained And Produced When Requested
Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration, Electronic Record Retention Policies Do Not Consistently Ensure That Records Are Retained and Produced When Requested (2017-10-034):
- House Ways & Means Committee, Ways and Means Holds IRS Accountable for Failed Record Retention Policies
- House Ways & Means Committee, Hearing on the Internal Revenue Service’s Record Retention Policies
Monday, August 7, 2017
From his webpage at American University's Kogod Tax Center:
Monday, July 31, 2017
Tuesday, July 4, 2017
Friday, June 30, 2017
Saturday, June 24, 2017
Monday, May 22, 2017
Private Investigator's Attempt To Obtain Donald Trump's Tax Return Led IRS To Shut Down FAFSA Data Retrieval Tool; Who Hired Him?
- As Deadlines Approach For College Financial Aid & Income-Based Loan Repayment, IRS Leaves Parents, Students & Graduates In Lurch By Taking Down Online Tax Return Data Retrieval Tool (Mar. 12, 2017)
- NY Times: 100,000 Taxpayers Compromised In Hack Of FAFSA Tool At IRS (Apr. 7, 2017)
Diverse Issues in Higher Education, FAFSA Hacker Targeted Trump Tax Info:
Monday, May 15, 2017
Saturday, May 13, 2017
Following up on my April 3 post, David Kautter To Be Named Assistant Secretary For Tax Policy: White House Press Release, President Donald J. Trump Announces Key Additions to his Administration:
Saturday, May 6, 2017
Thursday, May 4, 2017
Haley A. Stence (J.D. 2017, Cumberland), Comment, United States v. NorCal Tea Party Patriots: Has the IRS's Ability to Engage in Political Activities, Negatively Target Nonprofit Organizations, and Hide Behind 26 U.S.C. § 6103 Ended?, 40 Am. J. Trial Advoc. 201 (2016):
Tuesday, May 2, 2017
The IRS has released the papers from the 2016 IRS-TPC Joint Research Conference: on Tax Administration (program, abstracts, research bulletin):
1. Interventions: Influencing Taxpayer Compliance
Sunday, April 23, 2017
Saturday, April 22, 2017
Friday, April 21, 2017
Monday, April 17, 2017
Diane Ring, Panama Papers: The One-Year Anniversary (Surly Subgroup). "At its core, the leak revealed the true ownership of over 200,000 offshore entities, thereby raising a host of tax and political questions regarding many of the entities’ owners."
Jack Townsend, Court Denies Motion to Dismiss Counts Against Tax Shelter Lawyer. “I will cut and paste Judge Rakoff’s discussion about § 7212(a) which I think offers good review for tax crimes lawyers.”
NY Times: The IRS Enlists Debt Collectors To Recover Overdue Taxes, 'Placing A Bull’s-Eye On The Backs Of Low-Income Taxpayers' And 'Putting Out Barrels Of Honey For Scammers'
Following up on Tuesday's post, The IRS's Use Of Private Debt Collectors Will Not End Well (Again): New York Times, I.R.S. Enlists Debt Collectors to Recover Overdue Taxes:
Thursday, April 20, 2017
Wednesday, April 19, 2017
Tuesday, April 18, 2017
Monday, April 17, 2017
Sunday, April 16, 2017
The IRS Scandal, Day 1438: Sessions Is Noncommittal On GOP Request To Reopen DOJ Probe Of Lois Lerner
Saturday, April 15, 2017
The IRS Scandal, Day 1437: Lois Lerner Fears For Her Life, Asks Federal Court To Seal Her Upcoming Deposition Testimony
- American Thinker, Lois Lerner Demands Secrecy in Tea Party Targeting Lawsuit Testimony
- Fox News, Lois Lerner Demands Secrecy, Blames Death Threats Over IRS Tea Party Targeting
- PJ Media, Lois Lerner Demands Secrecy for IRS Targeting Lawsuit Deposition
Thursday, April 13, 2017
The IRS Scandal, Day 1435: House GOP Tax Writers Ask Attorney General To Reopen Criminal Investigation Of Lois Lerner
- Daily Caller, Top Tax-Writing Republicans Renew Call For DOJ To Investigate Lois Lerner Over IRS Scandal
- Daily Caller, Kevin Brady: Koskinen Is The ‘Most Corrupt’ IRS Commissioner I’ve Worked With
- Fox News, Top Republicans Ask AG to Review IRS' Lois Lerner Case
- Grabien, Rep. Kevin Brady: 'Clear and Compelling Evidence' Lois Lerner Violated the Law
- The Hill, GOP Tax Writers Ask Sessions to Review Evidence Against Lerner
- Washington Times, GOP Wants Trump to Reopen Criminal Probe Into Ex-IRS Exec Lerner
Wednesday, April 12, 2017
Tuesday, April 11, 2017
The IRS Scandal, Day 1433: House Oversight Committee Republicans Call On President Trump To Fire Commissioner Koskinen
Saturday, April 8, 2017
Friday, April 7, 2017
Following up on my previous post, As Deadlines Approach For College Financial Aid & Income-Based Loan Repayment, IRS Leaves Parents, Students & Graduates In Lurch By Taking Down Online Tax Return Data Retrieval Tool: New York Times, Up to 100,000 Taxpayers Compromised in Fafsa Tool Breach, I.R.S. Says:
The IRS Scandal, Day 1429: Commissioner Koskinen Says He Will Finish Term Despite GOP Calls To Step Down Immediately
- Washington Free Beacon, IRS Commissioner Will Finish Term Despite Calls to Step Down Immediately
Thursday, April 6, 2017
FAIR Seeks Revocation Of The Southern Poverty Law Center’s Tax Exemption Due To Its Anti-Trump Electioneering
The Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration yesterday released Criminal Investigation Enforced Structuring Laws Primarily Against Legal Source Funds and Compromised the Rights of Some Indiviuals and Businesses:
The IRS Scandal, Day 1428: Fifteen Ways & Means Committee Republicans Urge Trump To Fire Commissioner Koskinen
- The Hill, Republican Tax-Writers Urge Trump to Fire IRS Chief
- Townhall, Republicans Tell Trump to Fire 'Dishonest' IRS Commissioner
- U.S. News & World Report, House GOP Mad That Favorite Whipping Boy Still on Job at IRS
- Washington Times, GOP Calls for IRS Commissioner Koskinen to be Fired
Wednesday, April 5, 2017
The IRS Scandal, Day 1427: 54 Applications For Tax-Exempt Status Were Rejected In 2016; One Conservative Group Has Been Waiting For An Answer Since 2009
Tuesday, April 4, 2017
Monday, April 3, 2017
Politico reports that David Kautter is slated to be named President Trump's Assistant Secretary for Tax Policy, succeeding Mark Mazur (who left the position in February to become Director of the Tax Policy Center) and Acting Assistant Secretary for Tax Policy Thomas West. From his webpage at American University's Kogod Tax Center:
Sunday, April 2, 2017
Friday, March 31, 2017
Thursday, March 30, 2017
International Association of IT Asset Managers, IT Waste at the Internal Revenue Service:
IRS IT Spending/Waste By The Numbers:
- $11.2 billion - Total IRS budget in 2016.
- 79,890 - Total IRS employees as of FY2015.
- $4,600-$4,900 - Average amount spent per employee on IT in the private sector.
- $37,051 - Average amount spent per employee on IT at the Department of Treasury.
- $31,000 - According to IAITAM, private sector-style IT Asset Management protocol implementation would save roughly $31,000 per employee at the IRS.
- More than three times – How much the potential ITAM-related savings per employee stack up in comparison to the average $9,118 federal income tax bill for Americans.
- 22 percent - Total potential ITAM-related savings would add up to $2.76 billion
or nearly one quarter of the total 2016 IRS budget.
Wednesday, March 29, 2017
Sunday, March 26, 2017
Saturday, March 25, 2017
Philip Hackney (LSU) delivered the Norman A. Sugarman Memorial Lecture in Nonprofit Law at Case Western yesterday on Improving IRS Charity Oversight: Responsible Congressional Delegation, Responsive IRS Rulemaking:
See Philip Hackney, Charitable Organization Oversight: Rules v. Standards, 13 Pitt. Tax Rev. 83 (2015).