Sunday, November 19, 2017
Memorandum From Maureen A. O’Rourke (Council Chair) & Barry A. Currier (Managing Director of Accreditation and Legal Education), ABA Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar (Nov. 17, 2017):
At its meeting held on November 3-4, 2017, the Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar approved for Notice and Comment proposed revisions to the following Standards and Rules of Procedure of the ABA Standards and Rules of Procedure for Approval of Law Schools:
- Standard 205. Non-Discrimination and Equality of Opportunity
- Standard 206. Diversity and Inclusion
- Standard 303. Curriculum
- Standard 304. Simulation Courses, Clinics, and Field Placements
- Standard 503. Admissions Test
- Standard 601. Library and Information Resources, General Provisions
- Rule 3: Accreditation Committee Responsibility and Authority
- Rule 5: Site Evaluations
- Rule 10: Notice of Accreditation Decision by Other Agency
- Rule 14: Actions on Determinations of Noncompliance with a Standard
- Rule 22: Council Consideration of Recommendation of Accreditation Committee
- Rule 23: Council Consideration of Appeal from Accreditation Committee Decision
- Rule 24: Evidence and Record for Decision
- Rule 25: Decisions by the Council
- Rule 34: Teach-Out Plan
- Rule 52: Disclosure of Decision Letters
The Council also approved for Notice and Comment Standard 306 (Distance Education) and proposed revisions to the Standards and Rules of Procedure necessary for the reorganization of the Accreditation Project. These items will be circulated for Notice and Comment separately.
The proposed revisions and accompanying explanations are attached and published on the Section’s website.
We solicit and encourage written comments on the proposed changes listed above by e-mail. A hearing on the proposed changes is scheduled for Thursday, April 12, at 1 p.m. The hearing will be held at The Westin Georgetown (2350 M Street NW, Washington, DC 20037).
Please address written comments on the proposals and requests to speak at or attend the hearing to JR Clark, firstname.lastname@example.org, by Monday, April 2, 2017.
Requests to speak at the hearing received after April 2, 2017, will be accommodated if possible. Written comments received after April 2, 2017, may not be included in the materials considered by the Standards Review Committee at their April 13-14, 2017 meeting.