Monday, March 4, 2013
The Tax Policy Center hosts a program today on States in Flux: State Tax Reform, the ACA, and Sequestration at noon-1:30 p.m. EST (webcast here):
State governments face extraordinary challenges in coming years. Tepid recovery from the Great Recession has limited the ability of state governments to expand and add jobs, unlike past recoveries. Concerned about traditional revenue streams, some governors and state legislatures are proposing drastic changes to their tax structures. And the rapidly changing federal landscape—notably health reforms in the Affordable Care Act and budget caps and threat of sequester from the Budget Control Act—pose further challenges for state governments.
This forum will address key challenges facing states. Topics include:
- How have state governments contributed to this recovery compared to past recoveries?
- How might state revenue streams change in the future? What are the consequences of these changes?
- How will the sequester affect the states?
- How are states keeping up with new market reforms in the Affordable Care Act?
- Teresa Coughlin (Urban Institute)
- Zachary Goldfarb (Washington Post) (moderator)
- Ben Harris (Urban Institute)
- Joseph Henchman (Tax Foundation)
- Nick Johnson (Center on Budget and Policy Priorities)